• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Taking a trip over to the Shooting Sports forum to see if we can get some more comments.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Playing devils advocate here, but you can't show that his loading procedure was an 'advantage' unless you only measure the time it took from magazine in the gun to round in the chamber. Too many other variables after that.

Tool for the box...absolutely....in the competition circuit IMO. Could it work in a defensive scenario? Sure. But I trust other methods that are more positive and arguably about the same speed, if not a few fractions of a second slower.

Good points, Tim.

What I was getting at was if one looks at any shooting situation as a problem that needs to be solved, a second can be significant in the final anaysis. Like Bennie Cooley would say, maybe not THE way, but it is A way.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    you can't show that his loading procedure was an 'advantage' unless you only measure the time it took from magazine in the gun to round in the chamber. Too many other variables after that.

Where it buys time, as in one of the vids floating around of a match, is when the weak hand can also be doing something 'else.' In the match course shown, it saved time since a "traditional" method would have you do two steps.... 1) charge the gun and 2) grab the prop. Only then could he have moved away from the start position.

Using the "ninjer" method, he could charge the gun and grab the prop in parallel and get out of the start position faster. As an isolated technique it would be borderline if would save time.

I'd want to KNOW I could do it 100% on demand before I'd plan on it in a match (yet alone 'real' world). I've got bigger time-savings things to work on in my shooting to even bother trying this... for now.

I just like seeing that people are still innovating. Doing something outside of the box and getting people thinking about new things.

-rvb

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Why?

The answer, because he can. (Though the trick is most useful in a game setting.)

The gentleman in the first pic can do it with any Glock, all of them, with factory springs.

I tried it.................and got what I affectionally call "Glock elbow". I did get the trigger to reset, but that was it.

That said, it is a neat trick.

Am I right that you have insider information of some sort? Like, do you know the guy or his cousin's dog-walker or something? It sounds like you do so I wanted to check.

Apart from your insider knowledge, I would really wonder whether these tricks are done with somewhat fresh factory springs. It seems like competition guys could have lighter springs for the stages where prop grab + mag load were called for. "Hold on Bob, I just need to swap springs here..."

Anyhow, if you tell me you know it is true then I will be believe you. Unless someone has insider knowledge, though, I admit to being skeptical. :dunno:

TFin04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland
    Good points, Tim.

What I was getting at was if one looks at any shooting situation as a problem that needs to be solved, a second can be significant in the final anaysis. Like Bennie Cooley would say, maybe not THE way, but it is A way.

Agreed all the way around. (It's Tom, BTW ;))

rvb said:
    Where it buys time, as in one of the vids floating around of a match, is when the weak hand can also be doing something 'else.' In the match course shown, it saved time since a "traditional" method would have you do two steps.... 1) charge the gun and 2) grab the prop. Only then could he have moved away from the start position.

All of my posts in this topic assume we are discussing one handed loading techniques. From a competition standpoint like this one, carrying another object or just a course description. From a defensive standpoint, possibly losing the use of an arm, carrying a child, etc.

And like I said a few posts back, there are other one handed techniques that are more reliable and from what I can see in the video, just as fast if not just a hair slower.

For anyone who was at that match, did the other slower shooters use a traditional two handed load, then grab the ammo box? Did anybody use a different variation of a one handed load? Curious if any of that is on video for comparisons sake.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I might play around and try it, but nothing to consider in defensive shooting for me. I've practiced enough one hand/injured arm scenarios where cocking the gun on your boot or gunbelt is just as fast - and you don't throw out your shoulder!

fst aslp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Zionsville, IN
    Well tonight when I get home, my dog is going to think I am one dumb individual after trying this out. I almost bet there is a hard wrist flick in there to start the movement.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Agreed all the way around. (It's Tom, BTW ;))

Sorry!!!

For anyone who was at that match, did the other slower shooters use a traditional two handed load, then grab the ammo box? Did anybody use a different variation of a one handed load? Curious if any of that is on video for comparisons sake.

From what I understand (in the thread over on brianenos.com, with eye witnesses at that match and in that squad), the other two GMs used a traditional loading technique, then grabbed the box.

The other thing that wa said is the video we see here was a reshoot. Rob (the shooter) did a one-handed load/charge on that run also.

TFin04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland
    So because of the re-shoot (prop failure or something?) he already had a practice run, further allowing him a better time on his scored run.

I'm still sticking with another version of a single handed reload would be just as fast, and more reliable. I'm surprised the other GM's used a two handed load.

Either way, cool trick, and it has taken all the message boards by storm recently. :D

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    My sixteen yr old saw this on youtube came home that night and was doing it consistantly in about an hour. I tried it and I think I damaged my shoulder. What I would give to be sixteen again.
    Daniel

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    It's a competition thing. And nobody is going to let you run the slide on your belt or pocket in competition. Can you say DQ?

Just because one can't do such a thing (I tried with a GM 1911....lol) doesn't mean it can't be done.

Witness young Derrick above.

Top Bottom