• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'd have to see it done but it's sure not going to save you any time. I would think a RO/SO would be looking for someone sweeping themselves or breaking the 180.

The reason the guy in the vid, who is a hell of a shooter BTW, did this because it was faster than the other way. Or at least he thought it was and who am I to argue with a GM?

I've SEEN some of those guys shoot and I still can't believe it.

TFin04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Cleveland
    I'd have to see it done but it's sure not going to save you any time. I would think a RO/SO would be looking for someone sweeping themselves or breaking the 180.

So you're not familiar with the technique but are somehow in a position to comment both on its effectiveness/speed, as well as how safe (or unsafe) it may be?

:rolleyes:

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I was taught those techniques at Thunder Ranch ten years ago along with using a fence post to rack the slide.

I would have to see it done in competition.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Not that it matters much any more...

But it was a "not even close" no-go with my 9mm P99 and my M&P9c.

Couldn't even reset the striker on the P99...and that only takes 1/2 of an inch or so.

-J-

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    brb, bout to go out to my truck and try this with my m&p in the parking lot at work. If I dont respond in 30min it means im either in the back of a squad car or out of job.

Stay tuned...:naughty:

rz317

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2008
    Sorry!!!

From what I understand (in the thread over on brianenos.com, with eye witnesses at that match and in that squad), the other two GMs used a traditional loading technique, then grabbed the box.

The other thing that wa said is the video we see here was a reshoot. Rob (the shooter) did a one-handed load/charge on that run also.

Yes, the guy in the 1st video is Rob Romero, and he's a Production GM. I've squadded with Rob at several major 3-Gun matches, and I've seen him do the Ninja 1st hand, not in a stage, just showing off back at the hotel, etc. He says he can do it with just about any pistol (I saw him do it with my M&P). I tried several times and was not very successful... and until you get the technique down, it will give you a sore arm in a hurry!

A cool twist on the trick that he does: he keeps his thumb on the slide release and does the Ninja repeatedly, ejecting rounds one after another. Maybe not the most useful skill in the world, but it's cool.

It's easy to make the argument that all those hours spent practicing the Ninja could be better spent doing other drills... but, he does all of that stuff too, and it shows as Rob consistently places in the Top 5 at major 3-Gun matches.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I did this with my wifes PT911. I got about 1 out of 10, I was sore for 4-5 days after!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If you sweep yourself or break the 180.

Not to mention it would be slower and slower is not good in competition or gunfights.;)

From someone who has experience. NOT at racking the slide one handed and also not at competitions. There is no way in hades I would try that cute little trick in Combat! :D

Slower in gunfights is not a bad thing either. I have seen many Cherries attempt stuff faster than the can do it just to fubble it and get hurt. While the Salty veteran takes his time moving deleberately and gets the job done. ;)

Top Bottom