• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    My take on all of this is if you can't reasonably ensure the defense of my family and myself then please do not deny me the tools necessary for our own security.

Amen, that's the best comment I have heard on the gun control debate in a long time.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Charles Cotton, an NRA board member made the idiotic statement to that effect.

NRA official blames pastor for Charleston church shooting - NY Daily News

That guy needs some sensitivity training to say the least.

If he needs sensitivity training, then the anti-gun faction does too. They are quick to propose ridiculous laws before the bodies have even assumed room temperature. They use quaint little phrases like "it's for the children", etc. to mask their true intent - to disarm Americans and spit on the constitution. Was the NRA board member insensitive? Perhaps, but he was also right.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Yes, sensitivity training. I only say that because I'm in pacifist Zen mode. Anybody that says a person caused their own death because of not supporting gun rights, rather than placing blame on the actual murderer, is seriously lacking the good sense the Lord gave to a peanut, let alone a regular person.

I see it as he was addressing the Pastor's naivety, something you have in common with the Pastor (RIP).

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Sociological question: Why is it that it seems to be ok for the gun control folks to immediately go on the attack after these events whereas the "pro-gun" folks are seen as offensive?

One theory of mine is it's easy and less subjective to blame objects than blame people, their actions, and failures. Man, I'd love to see the NRA and other "gun groups" come up with a messaging methodology to counter the gun grabbers. Until then, it is probably right to let the mourning run its course before attacking the tired old, retreaded claims.

This new book addresses your question with a fine laser accuracy:

End of Discussion

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I see it as he was addressing the Pastor's naivety, something you have in common with the Pastor (RIP).

I've never been to that church, and certainly never played the part of a wise man, baby Jesus, or anybody else.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    All of you who think the pastor had any culpability make me embarressed to be on this site.
    Think it through people......It was the guy's freedom of choice. He wanted his place of worship to be in the manner he wanted to express his religion. Think it through.

I do agree even one armed good guy and the event goes down a lot differently, but to take any responsability for the the deaths away from confederate klan boy is 100% pure bovine excrement.

Think it through.......
    It smacks of "She shoulda never wore that dress...."

Now flame away. I will wear the negative rep with honor

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    All of you who think the pastor had any culpability make me embarressed to be on this site.
    Think it through people......It was the guy's freedom of choice. He wanted his place of worship to be in the manner he wanted to express his religion. Think it through.

I do agree even one armed good guy and the event goes down a lot differently, but to take any responsability for the the deaths away from confederate klan boy is 100% pure bovine excrement.

Think it through.......

I think we are on the same page, although I can see both sided UP TO A POINT.

First and foremost, any and all of us have a philosophically reasonable expectation that we should be left alone, not have to lock our doors, carry weapons, or worry about what clothes we wear, and so forth, and not have to worry about being robbed, murdered, raped, or otherwise violated. By extension, blame is rightfully the sole property of the perpetrator of wrong-doing.

Second, we all know that the above is philosophically correct but generally cannot be counted upon in reality. It is indeed quite true that one armed parishioner in this case, or our young lady not going out dressed just sufficiently to avoid arrest for public indecency and getting drunk out of her wits, or not going to bed with our doors standing wide open will do much to reduce our level of vulnerability to a successful attempt at a crime against us.

I would think that the better comprehensive response from the NRA or any representative thereof would have been to extend condolences for the loss of nine virtuous lives with an offer for assistance in the improvement of security of the church in order to help prevent such tragedies in the future.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I see only one problem with O'Malley being pissed, which is that he was pissed off and not pissed on.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Oh, and I almost forgot, I see only one problem with O'Malley being pissed, which is that he was pissed off and not pissed on.

I forgot to mention that I can offer O'Malley assistance. This is another fine service available from IndyDave1776 Enterprises Ltd. at very reasonable rates!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Think it through.......

The pastor did not deserve what happened to him, but of course as a legislator he was responsible for imposing this risk on all South Carolinians.

Unlike Schumer and Feinstein he did not hide behind big armed men with guns. For that he deserves accolades. Rarely do legislators suffer the consequences of the laws they pass to 'protect' the 'little people'.

But the fact remains, he was in part responsible for a law that infringes on the rights of American citizens.

It wasn't his 'freedom of choice' in play. It was a law that made armed defense by good people a crime.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The pastor did not deserve what happened to him, but of course as a legislator he was responsible for imposing this risk on all South Carolinians.

Unlike Schumer and Feinstein he did not hide behind big armed men with guns. For that he deserves accolades. Rarely do legislators suffer the consequences of the laws they pass to 'protect' the 'little people'.

But the fact remains, he was in part responsible for a law that infringes on the rights of American citizens.

It wasn't his 'freedom of choice' in play. It was a law that made armed defense by good people a crime.

My thoughts exactly. Repped.

My only regret is that he didnt live to see the error of his ways as a legislator. For the betterment of his state's gun rights, (and wishful thinking, maybe the nation's) maybe him missing this bible study for some reason would have helped the cause. If only he could have been spared to say "Crap. What did I do? Maybe we should rethink our approach so we can provide better safety for everyone."

Awwww who am I kidding? Listening to his colleagues who DID survive because they were not there, they continue to spew the same garbage; " parishioners shouldnt be armed, neither should clergy as its not their jobs. They should be spreading love, peace, and understanding and not armed." Seriously dude? Your fellow worshipers are gunned down and you cant see that them being able to defend themselves would have been beneficial? Some people have their head so buried in the sand they are up to their a**es and all you can see is their legs. SMH.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    <<<<<<< Baffled how this has become about the preacher, and not the POS murderer.

No, its not all about the preacher. That racist douchecanoe still holds most of the blame.

However the preacher, who was also a legislator, voted to make churches GFZs to the level us Hoosiers would equate to Post Offices, courthouses, and City/County buildings.

And its not the fault of the Preacher that he was killed. Thats still squarely on the racist a**hat's shoulders. However in his other life as a legislator he (in theory) had a hand in the neutering of his congregation's ability to deal with this specific type of threat. it is by his direct action as a legislator that nobody in that building could have defended themselves even if they had been so inclined. We cannot ignore that important fact.

I dont think anyone here thinks this gentleman deserves to die for that decision. I know I dont. But to ignore his culpability in the disarmament of parishioners across the state cannot be overlooked. Responsibilities are still responsibilities no matter how uncomfortable they may be.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    <<<<<<< Baffled how this has become about the preacher, and not the POS murderer.

Had he not died in the attack, and it had been some other pastor's congregation who the sick b-d shot down, would you have laid any of the blame at the feet of SC legislators who helped ensure that, by law, churches are GFZs?

The magical thinking about GFZs was put to the test, and failed. The law did not protect him. Certainly that is a noteworthy observation?

And he was willing to live under the law he created (which was an infringement on the 2d A). That too is noteworthy.

Saying that he was in part responsible for making his church vulnerable is consistent with every single thread on INGO, where people have observed that State and federal GFZs do not protect people. When legislators pass such laws, they are responsible in part for the harm that comes to their law-abiding constituents.

Again, he didn't deserve to die.

But it was an ill-conceived law, and has now directly been proven to be of no effect in preventing 'gun violence' in his house of worship.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Who ever said this scumbag was not the person directly culpable?
    As far as I'm concerned, they should give this turd a fair trial, then summarily hang him.
    Failing that, give him a fair trial, then bring Old Sparky out of retirement just for him and let him take a seat.
    It's noteworthy how you have yet to be even 1/10 as critical of O'Malley or the Community Organizer-in-Chief as you are of the one NRA guy mentioned when they immediately leap to the microphones to capitalize upon murder to advance their anti-gun agenda, though.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

Think it through.......

Well said.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

I think Kut is lying and he HAS played the Innkeeper.......Just sayin'
    *ahem*

Let's keep the personal comments out and discuss the issues rather than the people.

I agree the fault for this attack lies with the shooter, as in all such crimes, but I think his choice of target was influenced by the actions of the legislature, and possibly this legislator in particular. This is pointed out specifically in this case because the legislator was the preacher in the church chosen and might not have been so noted if another church had been the target.

Regardless, this isn't about anyone commenting in this thread... nor will it become so.

Thanks, all, for your cooperation.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom