• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Seeing those pump 22’s take me back. My brother had one and I loved shooting that thing. I don’t think it was a Winchester but fun none the less.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Seeing those pump 22’s take me back. My brother had one and I loved shooting that thing. I don’t think it was a Winchester but fun none the less.
    They really are a lot of fun. I always wanted one as a kid, and honestly, I don’t know if I ever shot one until I bought my first one last year. The brand is irrelevant, but this little gallery gun brings back memories, I wish I had as a kid. Ringing steel with it will make anyone smile.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They really are a lot of fun. I always wanted one as a kid, and honestly, I don’t know if I ever shot one until I bought my first one last year. The brand is irrelevant, but this little gallery gun brings back memories, I wish I had as a kid. Ringing steel with it will make anyone smile.

Educate me, please: When you’re shopping these older guns, how do you know “what it’s worth”? I can kind of understand if it’s something you’re buying and selling all the time but I’ll usually get the bug to buy something I don’t have/never traded for before and am always afraid of getting ripped off.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Educate me, please: When you’re shopping these older guns, how do you know “what it’s worth”? I can kind of understand if it’s something you’re buying and selling all the time but I’ll usually get the bug to buy something I don’t have/never traded for before and am always afraid of getting ripped off.
    Leadeye has been my mentor. I ask him questions constantly. I have read up on them quite a bit, and I watch Gunbroker a lot. When I started looking for a pump .22 last year, I started looking at Gunbroker. Watch the ones that start out cheap and have no reserve. The market will tell you what they are worth. In a short amount of time, you will know what’s a decent price.
    Want a quicker education, find a model you like, and search the completed auctions. It will quickly show you what they actually sell for.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Have you tried out any new production Japanese Winchesters? I wonder how they compare to the Ubertis.

I don't have any of the newest production Japanese Winchesters but I do have a Miroku produced 1895 from 2010-11. The fit and finish is better than the USA produced Winchesters I've handled from that era and the proceeding one. Quality is very good, IMO but they include modern refinements so not really all that appealing for the purists.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't have any of the newest production Japanese Winchesters but I do have a Miroku produced 1895 from 2010-11. The fit and finish is better than the USA produced Winchesters I've handled from that era and the proceeding one. Quality is very good, IMO but they include modern refinements so not really all that appealing for the purists.

I would agree, they are good solid guns. The modern red tang safety switch puts me off of them though.

57schwada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2019
    Hanover
    Old Winchester? How about a 12 gauge Super X Model One? I bought it back in the early eighties. It's a typical field grade with an improved cylinder choke on a 26" barrel. They don't make 'em like this anymore as just about all steel on it was milled. Decent walnut and deep rich bluing too. Think it's a collector?

57schwada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2019
    Hanover
    And just thought of another one...... my Model 1912 20Ga. pump with a full choke. It was passed to me from my Father some time ago.... 2008? Bluing is pretty much gone (imagine that) and the wood has seen better days too. All in all a very light shotgun that's a blast to shoot! Not sure on the story of this particular firearm though.... Hell, I went in to the Army back in 1975 and when I returned in '78 - he had it in the gun safe. Go figure!

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Hopped on GB last night and there was a Winchester 06 22 that was at 330.00 with 2 minutes to go. Had issues getting logged in and it sold before I could get a bid in. It was in pretty good condition, would have been a good one to get. Going to practice speed log in today.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

I pretty much stay away from the “Collector Merchants” who always have a good display of older rifles and so called history notes with them. I find that while they may have some good ones, not many can tell me how they shoot for my $3500. They say, oh I would never shoot these.? Go figure. Supposed history not worth one dime to me but good bore etc with snug bolt, breechface and such more important. Leade erosion can be seen with a borescope as well. But the real proof is on the rifle range. I had one one time that came with factory letter and history out of st Joe Mo but would not hold 5 moa. I took a loss on that lesson.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Hopped on GB last night and there was a Winchester 06 22 that was at 330.00 with 2 minutes to go. Had issues getting logged in and it sold before I could get a bid in. It was in pretty good condition, would have been a good one to get. Going to practice speed log in today.
    Stay with it BC, they are not uncommon in that price range.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I pretty much stay away from the “Collector Merchants” who always have a good display of older rifles and so called history notes with them. I find that while they may have some good ones, not many can tell me how they shoot for my $3500. They say, oh I would never shoot these.? Go figure. Supposed history not worth one dime to me but good bore etc with snug bolt, breechface and such more important. Leade erosion can be seen with a borescope as well. But the real proof is on the rifle range. I had one one time that came with factory letter and history out of st Joe Mo but would not hold 5 moa. I took a loss on that lesson.

I guess that just proves that there is something out there for everyone.

I must have 10 MOA eyes then. If I shoot a 5 moa group with a 100 year old gun and iron sights, I’ll come back here bragging about it.

Lower your standards Jim, you won’t be so disappointed all the time. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom