• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    We can all still remember the sights and smells of the old bait shops. Very few are still around. WallyWorld, Bass pro, Cabela's, and the others, shuttered them. I like to throw my business to the small guys when ever I am going fishing. I always plan to stop by the local shop.

As a kid in the 70's I sold nightcrawlers to Beech Grove Bait shop. The one near Emerson and Main. There was one on Albany near the bowling alley. Smitty's, Pete's, and Martins up on the Tippy. I remember one on the winding road down to Monroe, before they built the new 446. West Side is gone. Fish'n Shedd is still there, near Paintown. Norway B and T may still be north of Freeman. There was/maybe is one about halfway between Indy and Raccoon. Bruce's down near Linton. Miner's is gone. 4-way might still be there. I remember a nice little shop down by Monroe Dam where I could also get a sandwich. I really dig Honey Creek down near Bargersville. I had been in a nice one, seems like up along the river in Noblesville.

I know I'm missing lots that I can't bring to mind right now. I still spend Money at the Fish'n Shedd whenever I pass, year round. I always enjoyed talking with Dick before he died. Most often stop by Honey Creek when passing. The one I miss most of all is Martin's Crawl Farm. I couldn't wait to pass the slam'n screen door several times each Summer. After Martin died and they shut down, I was in line with fishing tackle at Wally World. To my surprise, Mrs. Martin was minding the register. I was glad to see her, but it was a sad testament to the times. I still have a poster that Martin's passed out. It simply states something like "Profanity is a feeble attempt of a simple mind trying to express itself forcefully" I think they were church people. She looked Pentecostal.

Anyway.......post some stories or locations of the shops you miss, or the ones we can all help to stay alive. I will go out of my way to spend money with the little guy. I'd pay top dollar for a couple dozen fresh, live, Craws in the summer.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been to a few of those on your list OP. Still go to Shedd's too. Also there's a small shop on 446 before you get to Shedd's (coming from Bloomington) that I stop at frequently. Mom and Pop store, and I think they also do welding/trailer repair there. They have the long-shanked Tru-turn hooks that I like to use for crickets. I also used to like the old shop/ship's store at Fairfax marina before it got as big as it is now. You could pull up in your boat and buy bait and they had a decent deli case where you could get a good sandwich. I always got roast beef and swiss with horseradish sauce on an onion bun.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    IT makes me remember Hillmans Bait and Tackle in Mooresville , I think it opened up in the 50`s . I can relate to the unique sights and smells . It was just a bikes ride from our house . We had a small creek behind our house that we caught crawdads in . Hillmans would pay us a penny a piece for the small ones and up to 3 cents for the big ones . That shop had every square inch accounted for with merchandise . It`s where all the locals would take their catch of the day and pose for a polaroid to go on the wall . It changed hands to Kings B&T , but has since been closed for quite a few years .
    Tackle Service Center also in Mooresville since the 70`s is still in business and has that same Olde Tyme atmosphere .
    The owners are top notch . Though I don`t do much fishing anymore , they will get all of my business over any big box store .
    They have quite a selection of gear , with live bait , rod and reel repairs , Boat accessories , FFL transfers ........
    Far too many of the Mom and Pop stores disappearing .

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    In Jasper there is Jeff's Bait and Guns, formerly Uebelhor Bait Shop. Walk in the door and the first thing you notice is the minnow tank gurgling, the crickets chirping, and the smell. The smell was kind of a musty odor, of damp dirt, water, and bugs. Actually not unpleasant, at all.
    Place has been around as long as I can remember, so at least since the mid 1960's. When I lived in Jasper as an adult I'd stop in regularly for fish bait in the summer and hunting ammo in the fall. Still stop in when I'm in town and visit, an old friend from high school works there and we spend waaayyyy too much time reminiscing about the good old days and the trouble we used get in to.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Westside Bait and Tackle just west of downtown Indy closed most recently.
    Fall Creek Bait shop just west of Keystone Ave, long gone.
    Best my old memory can recall, I think one used to be up by Geist on Carrol Rd.. just south of 96th St./1000N...........I'm not 100% sure about location, but I can sure recall the "unique" smell there.
    I steelhead fish the west side of Michigan, there's far more ma and pa shops up there, or at least there used to be.
    Seems like there's one on SR6 just west of 49 in Valpo and can't forget Sleeze's in Lake Station.
    I will truly miss these old places when they're all gone.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We used to have a great shop in Elkhart, Tom and Erv's. They were a full service shop. They would change your line out, do work on some reels, etc. They were great people to visit with. Travel Tender in Goshen was another great shop. He wasn't as chatty though.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    Don't recall the name of either one, but I used to frequent the one on Pendleton Pike between Franklin Road & Post Road on the NE side of Indy back in the day, and then there was one further out on 67, I think, in Fortville. Never had much luck catching anything until I switched from live bait to lures.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We can all still remember the sights and smells of the old bait shops. Very few are still around. WallyWorld, Bass pro, Cabela's, and the others, shuttered them. I like to throw my business to the small guys when ever I am going fishing. I always plan to stop by the local shop.

As a kid in the 70's I sold nightcrawlers to Beech Grove Bait shop. The one near Emerson and Main. There was one on Albany near the bowling alley. Smitty's, Pete's, and Martins up on the Tippy. I remember one on the winding road down to Monroe, before they built the new 446. West Side is gone. Fish'n Shedd is still there, near Paintown. Norway B and T may still be north of Freeman. There was/maybe is one about halfway between Indy and Raccoon. Bruce's down near Linton. Miner's is gone. 4-way might still be there. I remember a nice little shop down by Monroe Dam where I could also get a sandwich. I really dig Honey Creek down near Bargersville. I had been in a nice one, seems like up along the river in Noblesville.

I know I'm missing lots that I can't bring to mind right now. I still spend Money at the Fish'n Shedd whenever I pass, year round. I always enjoyed talking with Dick before he died. Most often stop by Honey Creek when passing. The one I miss most of all is Martin's Crawl Farm. I couldn't wait to pass the slam'n screen door several times each Summer. After Martin died and they shut down, I was in line with fishing tackle at Wally World. To my surprise, Mrs. Martin was minding the register. I was glad to see her, but it was a sad testament to the times. I still have a poster that Martin's passed out. It simply states something like "Profanity is a feeble attempt of a simple mind trying to express itself forcefully" I think they were church people. She looked Pentecostal.

Anyway.......post some stories or locations of the shops you miss, or the ones we can all help to stay alive. I will go out of my way to spend money with the little guy. I'd pay top dollar for a couple dozen fresh, live, Craws in the summer.
    Schwartz Bait and Tackle is the one you are thinking of in Noblesville. Still going!

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Kokomo had Mal's bait shop. I bought one of my first knives there after my dad died. I was 8 and a latch key kid. Too poor to own a bike so I walked. And walked. When I got bored I ran. Long way off from Jefferson Street by Jeffway Car Wash. The man that ran that store was great to the neighborhood kids. Certainly miss that place!
    We have a decent bait store called Sore Mouth Tackle. The kid behind the counter most days is a coworker's son. Good kid! Jackson.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I miss Parker’s Central Park bait and tackle in Mishawaka
    I loved going in there and talking to him and his wife and being greeted by the family dog. He was always quick to give me some tips when I tried getting into steelhead fishing. He also had a lot of knowledge about the surrounding waters and would let you know of spots.

It wasnt small but the older guys in the fishing department at lunkers were great. There was a man who was retired in there working part time and if i went in for a pack of senkos id end up spending an hour talking fish with him. Always had good stories, and was just a really nice person. I loved lunkers and it broke my heart to see it go. I heard its becoming some sort of weed shop now.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Big Ts bait shop was at corner of Harding and Sumner on Indys southwest side in the 70s I think him and his wife lived in the back.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Grew up Montpelier.. clevangers sporting goods. Lots of tackle new and used all kinds of bait..We sold him night crawlers and red worms.. we would dig up coffee cans full at the feed mill and take them to him..
    Used guns ,ammo , redwing boots and a pawn shop. At the Fourth of July he sold bootleg fireworks to us kids and we would buy them and he would make us put them in a paper sack. I felt like a smuggler walking thru town with a sack full of firecrackers.

Top Bottom