Old school 1963 Civil Defense Medical Kit for 50-65 people.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    So, I found this box in my basement. I thought that it might be interesting to share as it seems to be a kind of time capsule from an era gone by.
    It appears to be a Civil Defense medical supply kit. It says 50-65 occupants which seems to me to be a little optimistic given the amount of contents. You'll see what I mean as we go on. So let's start unpacking to see what we've got.

This was sealed when I found it a few days ago, and appears to have been packed in Feb of 1963.

First off we have what appears to be a few publications:

Kit instructions:

Family emergency health care:

And what appears to be a packing list:

Now we have a small set of scissors incased in a plastic dip:

This appears to be some type of packing material:

Now we have some tweezers:

A dyed dressing, which I think is some sort of cravat or triangular bandage:

Next is a syringe fountain, which looks to me like some sort of enema kit:

Now we have "eye and nose drops" three containers of them:

A bottle of laxatives, need I say more?

Water purification tablets, two bottles, 50 tablets each. Bottles are sealed in some sort of wax:

From our friends at Pfizer, penicillin G tablets, two bottles:

One bottle, Eugenol "toothache remedy" it appears the seal is broken, but it looks to me like the plastic has just failed and has not been tampered with:

From our friends at Phillip Morris, soap. Interesting that it is "substitute for antiseptic solution."

A full pound of baking soda in what looks like a tiny paint can. Also note, the baking soda seems to have solidified:

1lb of Vaseline in a little paint can:

One bottle of 500 tabs of sulfadiazine:

One LB of sodium chloride, note that this much like the salt shakers at that dumpy restaurant with the really good lemon rice soup, is solid as a rock inside its container:

(Picture missing)

Kaolin mixture with pectin. Pretty good they have stuff to stop you up and stuff to help you go:

Note this stuff appears to have separated:

One quart of isopropyl alcohol.
    Well, it used to be a quart, I imagine the seal had somehow failed years ago and has left us with an empty tin:

Standard 4x4 gauze pads. (Nonsterile):

Three bags of safety pins:

Thermometer:

(Picture missing)

With a full guarantee, if they're still in business:

Wooden q-tips:

100 tongue depressors, just in case they have a mini bridge building contest:

One big bottle of asprin, 500 tablets:

A dozen rolls of 2 inch gauze:

One pound of purified cotton:

So, there you have it.
    As I said this box is for 50-65 people in a shelter and I think that is a bit optimistic. Just think of 60 people, imagine two full classrooms of people. How long do you think the asprin would really last? If people start having the skitters, how long is that bottle of anti-diarrhea stuff going to last? As I understand it this is just one of several different boxes that would be used to stock a shelter.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Everything on the packing list/manifest is in the box.
    I don't have a scanner, but when I get a chance I'll take pictures of the manual. The other one seems to be a simple "how to" style family health booklet, it is very generic and seems like it was an add on that wasn't really intended to be in an emergency kit.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Wow, that is really cool. As a dentist I can say, if the seal on that eugenol was compromised you would know it. it is what gave every dental office in the country that dental office smell for a hundred years up until recently. I have a decent collection of turn-of-the-century dental antiques that still smell like it. it's also called oil of cloves and can smell like your grandma's ham at Thanksgiving depending on how she makes it.
    it used to be the main ingredient in most temporary cement and sedative fillings but modern day bonding won't work if the tooths had eugenol on it so we found other materials. still use it in dry socket dressing but not as much in restorative.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    it would be interesting to know how different that kit would look if it were made today for the same threat or purpose given the changes in modern medicine. there are a lot of medical health care professionals on ingo I would be interested to hear them chime in. even today eugenol is a main ingredient to any decent dental emergency kit.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    it would be interesting to know how different that kit would look if it were made today for the same threat or purpose given the changes in modern medicine. there are a lot of medical health care professionals on ingo I would be interested to hear them chime in. even today eugenol is a main ingredient to any decent dental emergency kit.

I bet the contents wouldn't change much cause with a little " know how " you could do a lot with that kit as it came .

I would add ;

A ton more cravats for slings , improvised litters , slings and the like , couple rolls of Gorilla tape and cloth tape

An assortment of syringes ( irrigations / injections ) and needles sizes 14-22 ,

A stethoscope / BP cuff ,

More assorted meds and a ton of antibiotic ointment , maybe a Lb or two of Aquaphor ,

a ton of IV and suture supplies and I think you'd be set up pretty good to deal with a wide range of injuries .

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Well, best I can say is that my dad was a prepper going WAY back. He was on the county PD for 28 years, so I'm sure he ran across it and brought it home, probably when the stuff was still good. I found it sealed in the basement of my childhood/current home.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Geronimojoe85,

Well, pardner, if the thermometer IS broke you need only go here: Faichney Medical Thermometer : Wholesale Clinical Thermometers

They are still in business but it looks like they moved their home office.

This is a seriously cool find! DO NOT LOSE THE BOX!!! If you EVER wish to sell the box can add significantly to the value. My father collected mechanical banks for a time. He had a bank with the original box. The box added $1,500 just because they are so rare. Everybody buys something then throws away the box.

I love history so this was really neat to see. Thank you for sharing!

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    And now you'll have a SWAT team knocking on your door for controlled substances and having medications without a Rx...

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Correction, I see one item on the manifest that is not in the kit.
    And that is (phenobarbital tabs, 500).

Phenobarbital is not a narcotic, per se (it's a barbiturate), but it is a controlled substance; Schedule IV. If it were included with the kit, you could very well expect an inquiry and hassle from DEA. However, since you clearly said that it was not included (and the markings on the box clearly corroborate your claim "No narcotics"), no problem.

Also, even though the penicillin and sulfadiazine are unscheduled, since they are now prescription-only, I'm not sure if that would present problems or not.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom