Ok to use a high powered rifle scope on a 22lr?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gazza

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    East Central Indiana
    I just picked up a cz455 American in 22lr. I happen to have a Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40 that I would like to use. Do you guys see any problem with this? I have heard that I could have some parallax issues. I figure to use this gun for squirrel hunting and target shooting (20-50 yards). This is a pretty new scope and I would rather not buy a new one.
    Thanks
    Gazza

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    You'll be more than fine, use it!
    I started one of those threads and I was nit picking the hell out of it based on target shooting with magnification above 20x.
    I have used a 3x9 to blast plenty of squirrels and they were fixed parallax of 100 yards just like yours. The only problem was every now and then even at 3x when they were super close up I had no field of view and they took up almost the entire sight picture.

Happy hunting and good luck

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    "High powered scope" is a 25X or better, and even those have been in use on target .22's for decades.

As far as parallax is concerned, yes, it will be set at 100 yards, so you'll have some. That being said, for field shooting, none of the rifle scopes I ever mounted could be proven to have caused me to miss a squirrel.

You're good.

-Nate

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You've already been given good advice.
    If you want to maximize your accuracy by minimizing the parallax, just be sure to have as consistent a cheek weld as possible.
    It is true that parallax aiming errors increase in inverse proportion to distance.
    You'll be well served with that Vortex, though.
    If you should ever decide to go with a scope more suited to rimfire use, be sure to get one with fixed parallax adjustment in the 50-60 yard range or (better still) get one that has parallax adjustment, either on the objective (or yes, better still) or with side focus.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My current .22 wears a 2.5-8X. At 50 yards I can't go above 6X and focus well.
    Lose focus inside of 25 yards at power around 4x.
    Not ideal but usable.
    Lots of folks run a straight 4X rifle scope.
    I'll send mine back to be modified for rimfire yardages. Only costs 25 bucks plus shipping from Leupold.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    IIRC Leupold and some other big game scopes are parallax set at 150 yards.

A bit of poking around verifies that.
    https://www.leupold.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Riflescope-Instruction-Manual.pdf

"Most Leupold scopes are adjusted at the factory to be parallax free at 150 yards. However, there are exceptions:
    1. Leupold rimfire scopes are set to be parallax free at 60 yards.
    2. Leupold Shotgun/Muzzleloader scopes are set to be parallax free at 75 yards. UltimateSlam LR models are parallax free at 150 yards.
    3. Leupold Handgun and Ultralight 2.5x scopes are set to be parallax free at 100 yards."

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If you can remove the locking ring on the objective, you may be able to turn the lens carrying assembly to adjust the parallax. I have done so on a couple of Leupolds. No experience yet with a Vortex.

85Cosmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    West Lafayette
    I have a Leupold 12x on my 10/22 target build and it is really nice at 50yds. It has an adjustable objective down to 50 yards and that is my normal range. Strictly for punching holes in paper from a rest.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Soooooo I got the bright idea that I was going to put a 6-24X24 target scope on my 10/22 for range use and squirrel hunting....It lasted one season!

On six power if the squirrel is less than 20 yards away you will have a VERY hard time finding him due to how narrow your field of vision is. Just switched it over to a 2-7X33 and am SOOOOOO much happier. I walk the woods on two power in case one surprises me then crank it up for farther away work. Seven power is plenty for tree rats out to 100 yards and to be honest I have yet to try and take one that far?:dunno:

But to get back on topic.....YES you will be very happy with the 3-9X40....very good all around combination.

Top Bottom