• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I have a 10/22 I bought used, it has unknown (to me) number through it. I need to know what I need to do to/with this rifle and myself, prior to coming to a shoot.

I presume I need to...

Get as many of the LTR options as possible and a few others I have seen in threads here.
    Sight it in
    Register
    Work on flexibility
    anything else?

As a side not I have yet to shoot this thing.

I have the USGI sling already and it came with two banana mags

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have a 10/22 I bought used, it has unknown (to me) number through it. I need to know what I need to do to/with this rifle and myself, prior to coming to a shoot.

I presume I need to...

Get as many of the LTR options as possible and a few others I have seen in threads here.
    Sight it in
    Register
    Work on flexibility
    anything else?

As a side not I have yet to shoot this thing.

I have the USGI sling already and it came with two banana mags

Yea! well the big purchase is done, the rest is easy. Your LTR mods can be as complicated as you like. You will have a harder time shooting rifleman with the factory sights, BUT, you will still get the full benefit of the program with factory sights.

My 2 cents as a recent Rifleman, not as an instructor, would be the following.

1) You should have good sights, tech sights are the current favorite, though for me they require a raised cheek piece. We will show you how to set up a quick cheek piece that works, *if* you need it.

If you choose to use a scope, get the lowest mounts that work, the closer your scope's objective bell is to the barrel the better. High mounts and "see-through" mounts will make you work much harder to achieve a good cheek weld. Low power, less than 4X is best, a 2X is ideal.

2) Sling studs and a GI sling. The sling is available from the appleseed store for a very competitive price. 1 1/4" sling swivels are available from Midway, Cheaper than dirt, etc. If you can't find any in time, still come! We can loan you some.

3) A extended mag release will help in the mag changes. That single mod allowed me to get alll my shots off in time. If your rifle will drop the mag clean without pulling you should be good, but the extended release will still help.

4) You need real 10/22 mags. IMO, give the banana mags to an unsuspecting friend. They are fine for fooling around shooting tin cans, but you really need dependable mags that will feed 500+ rounds without jamming. I believe the factory mags are the only ones you can trust to do that. If you can't find any at Dicks or Gander Mountain, let us know, we can likely loan you a second one.

5) Good ammo. It is well known that a 10/22 will digest MiniMags all day without much problems. I have also had good luck with Winchester HV bulk and Federal Game Master.

I am certain someone else will chime in with anything I have forgotten. I have seen shooters knocking at the door of a rifleman score with a bone stock 10/22 with just a sling added. So it can be done with nothing else added to the stock 10/22, and regardless of your score, you STILL get the training and you can take that home and practice.

DAve

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I believe yellowhousejake covered it well.
    A couple stock mags are really all that is needed, the tech sights or low powered scope helps too. My LTR was well used when I picked it up and had some extracting issues. I put an upgraded extractor in it from Midway for less than $10. Look on rimfirecentral.com for the instructions to the bolt release mod it is free, really easy and makes a new person using the 10/22 a happy camper. Just remember we are teaching you the skills not the rifle.
    Get signed up for a shoot near you, bring a mat, a brick of ammo and a teachable attitude and you will have a blast.
    Hope to see you on the Appleseed trail soon.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    +1 to all of the above.

[edited to remove some off base info as I miss identified the OP and rifle - oops]

Take it out for a fun shoot afternoon and fire off 100-200 rounds for reliability and less importantly - zero. Get used to locking and unlocking the bolt hold open feature and make sure the magazines stay in the magwell for good feed of the ammo. Basically, have some fun and do a function check. Nothing is more frustrating at an Appleseed than a rifle that is unreliable and has to be taken off the line as a result.

Good ammo is also a must. CCI rules, but Federal bulk is OK too. I prefer the CCI.

And a cleaning of the rifle is not a bad idea either.
    Have a ball!

Last edited:

csaws

Master
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    As an FYI the banana mags are the only ones I have, no stockers. What will stockers run? I have a ss 18" barrel that I could switch to instead of the blue. I know it has less than 25 rounds through it. Right now I have it up for trade in the parts area with a Black Ruger synthetic stock. Should I switch barrels?

My rifle does not have a bolt hold open feature unless it came stock

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    Stock mags will run approx $20 at Gander Mountain, might find some cheaper else where.
    The bolt hold open that techres is talking about is the factory bolt lock to keep the chamber open It can be frustrating until you learn the procedure of locking it back.

Your barrel is fine. A stock 10/22 will do a dime size group at 25m from the prone position, if you do your part. (Your part is what we teach!)

So as stated by others ... get some trigger time to make sure your rifle/ammo combo is reliable and come join us.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    +1 on: CCI Minimags, Tech sights, 2 stock mags, extended mag release and a USGI sling!

Due to my arm span, I also put on a 1" rubber stock extension. I think this helped me position the rifle in a better place *for me*.

I also put in a "tuffer buffer", and did the bolt hold open mod after the appleseed. That stupid thing drove me nuts the first day. ;)

Other than these few small mods, my rifle is bone stock and runs great!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    +1 on what everybody else has posted. Your 10-22 barrel is good for 10's of thousands of rounds before accuracy degrades to where you notice it.

As far as positions, most people have the most trouble getting into a solid sitting position. You can practice that with or without a rifle in front of your TV every night. Be sure your support elbow is under the rifle, no matter whether it is standing, sitting or prone.

Regards

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    You guys who are talking about bolt-hold-open... Do you mean the auto-bolt-release mod, where you give the bolt handle a tug and it releases? If so, I concur; that mod will take you maybe 20 minutes with a Dremel, but it's very nice to have. The sling is essential, and if you're at a shoot when I'm there, I'll likely have 1 1/4" sling swivels for whatever I paid for them at WalMart, currently running around $10. (no profit, just that I can't afford to supply all the shooters who will need them out of my pocket. ;))
    If I've bought enough slings, I'll have those for my cost also, but I've presently only my own and one loaner. Good sights are a big plus and the extended mag release is a big help, too, but as Mudcat and usafe7ret said, the primary thing is that we're there to teach you to use the rifle to the fullest extent of it's abilities.

Thanks for coming out...May I ask for which shoot you're signing up?

Blessings,
    Bill

target64

Grandmaster
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    As I have never been to one of these sessions I do not know if the following is allowed or practical. This would eliminate feed issues of non-stock mags and yet give you the higher capacity. Bradis has the Tri-Mag adapter. The adapter and three new mags runs about $55-$60 if I remember correctly. Hope this is helpful.
    10-22trimag.jpg

csaws

Master
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    You guys who are talking about bolt-hold-open... Do you mean the auto-bolt-release mod, where you give the bolt handle a tug and it releases? If so, I concur; that mod will take you maybe 20 minutes with a Dremel, but it's very nice to have. The sling is essential, and if you're at a shoot when I'm there, I'll likely have 1 1/4" sling swivels for whatever I paid for them at WalMart, currently running around $10. (no profit, just that I can't afford to supply all the shooters who will need them out of my pocket. ;))
    If I've bought enough slings, I'll have those for my cost also, but I've presently only my own and one loaner. Good sights are a big plus and the extended mag release is a big help, too, but as Mudcat and usafe7ret said, the primary thing is that we're there to teach you to use the rifle to the fullest extent of it's abilities.

Blessings,
    Bill

At this point we are leaning toward Riley, the in-laws live in and around Cory and Lewis so child care for acouple of days is nearby.

csaws

Master
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Yeah, the Novemeber thing is what I am worried about. I hate cold weather and you know how Indiana is, 70 one day -20 the next. :D

Donnelly

Master
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I have been using the Eagle 30rd mags with my 10/22 and have only had one jam ever with them. Wish I could say the same thing for the stock 10rd mag that came with it.

That said, the 30rd mag might extend out too far to get a good cheek weld in the prone position. I'll have to give it a try the next time I am on the range.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I have been using the Eagle 30rd mags with my 10/22 and have only had one jam ever with them. Wish I could say the same thing for the stock 10rd mag that came with it.

That said, the 30rd mag might extend out too far to get a good cheek weld in the prone position. I'll have to give it a try the next time I am on the range.

Depends how long your forearms are! :):

Odd that you have the problems with the stock mags... I usually hear that those are the most reliable ones. Maybe yours need cleaned/oiled? :dunno: :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

csaws

Master
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County

Blessings,
    Bill

Yes sir! Instead of trying to do the 2 handed release, just pull back the bolt and go. :rockwoot:

Where can I find info on this mod?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY3BFyknLzo]YouTube - Ruger 10/22 Auto Bolt Release Modification[/ame]

Top Bottom