• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I understand that a compensator vents the gas upward at the end of the barrel to help with recoil and muzzle climb.

I have read that barrel bushing style compensators only work due to the extra weight they provide, and the gas vents don't actually help, if you want a compensator that will actually do its job you must use one that is built into the barrel.

Is this true?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have tried both styles. The bushing style is not a good addition as it adds weight to the slide and effects how the gun runs. It does not stay in the direct path of the expanding gasses long enough to do any good. It will do little if anything to aid in target re-acquisition from muzzle rise.
    The barrel mounted units stay in play all through the act of venting the spent gasses and do not effect the recoil due to extra slide weight.
    I suggest this style.

Handguns031.jpg

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    On my 460 rowland, it makes the hottest, most radical loads I can manage to cook up shoot softer than a standard pressure 45acp. It also keeps the muzzle down, allowing you to make follow up shots very quickly.

On my glock 20c, it makes the recoil feel like shooting lite loaded 40S&W, and it has nearly zero muzzle flip. Once again, makes the gun infinitely faster to stay on target with.

The only negative I'd give compensators is additional noise and blast they generate. At times it can be harsh, especially while shooting with anything over head. Once shooting my 460rowland last year after some snow fall, I was having gasses knock sheets of ice off the roof of the shooting stable at the local range.

As far as bushing compensators go, they're another mall ninja accessory. If you want a compensator for reducing muzzle flip, the best is going to be porting the barrel and slide. If you want to reduce recoil and some muzzle flip, the best will be screwed onto the end of the barrel with multiple expansion chambers and side vents.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are a few suppliers that offer a ported barrel over a compensater. I am not personally experienced with these but I am sure someone has used/using one. They are not as sexy as the full on vented compensater but it is the same principle as a ported shotgun barrel and I know those work as I have a few.

Edit....What happened to 10 in all of this???

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Thanks for all the info guys, I was thinking about ordering a barrel bushing style and then shooting with the vents taped and not taped to see if it was a weight thing or the vents. Guess I don't have to now.

thanks every one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks for all the info guys, I was thinking about ordering a barrel bushing style and then shooting with the vents taped and not taped to see if it was a weight thing or the vents. Guess I don't have to now.

thanks every one.

I have one you can try but I do not like it. Tombs is correct, Mall Ninja crap.

arbys1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My direct experience with handgun barrel compensators are on my edc G23 Lone Wolf 2 port comp barrel "external" after muzzle & my uncles G23c factory comp barrel"internal" before muzzle. From my own experimenting I've found the factory comp to be extremely inefficient at muzzle & recoil control. Comparing the two designs tho are apples to bananas. The factory design subtracts a fair amount of weight by removing slide & barrel material. As where a "external" design adds weight. So there's an automatic static compensation occurring before the trigger is even pressed. Also the physical science behind a comp is to become more efficient as pressure increases & is then released. Greater pressure equals faster port gas released equals more mechanical compensation. The factory comp fails there by bleeding pressure off a full inch prior to exiting the muzzle. What's that means is less pressure witch in turn means less compensation. The "external" design maintains same internal barrel length while adding 7/8 inch of barrel only length (only drawback I can see). This means greater pressure more efficiency. Plus "internal" design is dirtier vents more gas into the action all over the front sight & muzzle blast seems increased. So that's a crash landing into comps 1911 to Glock doesn't matter as the science is the same. Then there's the issues with factory Glock barrels that I won't get into. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom