• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I had to correct # 18 above. It's 14-3/4 gb out of 16 gb being used.
    My daughter is/has done a backup and reset for me and we are now looking for a cleaner.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It's an S5.
    Everything works it's just sometimes slow and erratic. Then it clears up and runs fine for a while.
    I'm not really versed in Android or Samsung phones. My wife is the lone android, Samsung user in the family. She loves it and I leave it alone, so win/win. That said, a lot of apps, etc expect the faster processors, more memory, etc of the newer phones, and will run the hell out of the CPU, etc on an older device. That along with the concerns of malware, etc could be what's impacting the performance and ultimately also beating on the battery (especially if the battery is as old as the device and doesn't have a ton of capacity left).

While I know some hate to replace these types of things, phones are something that I do try to keep almost current (a rev or 2 back is generally ok) for as much as I depend on one.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's an S5.
    Everything works it's just sometimes slow and erratic. Then it clears up and runs fine for a while.

You are really fighting a losing battle here. Samsung quit updating that phone years and years ago.

You should limp along with this outdated phone, while shopping for the new one.

With all due respect, you should let your kids do the phone shopping for you, especially since you brought the daughter in for help. You should tell the kids to go in on your "new" phone that they will buy you for Christmas. ;)

I am a Samsung fan. There is the most online support for these, because they sell the most phones. Company site, forums, Youtube, etc.

My neighbor lady is leaning towards a new phone. She favors Samsung, but her kids want her to get an iPhone. I told her emphatically, that Apple would never see a dime of my money, but if her adult kids want her to have an iPhone then listen to them. Tell them to go together and get her one for Christmas.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You are really fighting a losing battle here. Samsung quit updating that phone years and years ago.

You should limp along with this outdated phone, while shopping for the new one.

With all due respect, you should let your kids do the phone shopping for you, especially since you brought the daughter in for help. You should tell the kids to go in on your "new" phone that they will buy you for Christmas. ;)

I am a Samsung fan. There is the most online support for these, because they sell the most phones. Company site, forums, Youtube, etc.

My neighbor lady is leaning towards a new phone. She favors Samsung, but her kids want her to get an iPhone. I told her emphatically, that Apple would never see a dime of my money, but if her adult kids want her to have an iPhone then listen to them. Tell them to go together and get her one for Christmas.
    And being released in 2014, I think that is a 3G phone. 3G towers are going away soon. (at this time, no later than June 2022. It is slated to start Jan 1 2022. )

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    And being released in 2014, I think that is a 3G phone. 3G towers are going away soon. (at this time, no later than June 2022. It is slated to start Jan 1 2022. )
    Right. This is likely some of the problem. The phone is struggling to keep a solid signal. When you add anything else running to the mix, especially charging, it's a recipe for overheating and failure.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

snip
    Yet when I turned in my S5 Active recently under my "insurance" they sent me a brand new (refurbished) S5 in it's place. I've turned off all automatic updates on it so they don't "update" it into failure mode. It only has to last until I retire then it's goodbye leash! :bacondance:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I wish I had a picture of mine that I shot with 00 buckshot. Should have taken the pic before shooting the phone :ugh:
    I did this with a laptop and number 6 birdshot. Surprised by the lack of penetration. Moral, if you're about to get shot with a shotgun and all else fails hide behind a laptop!

Not that I'd try it you understand!:lmfao:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    No, it's a 4G.
    I suppose I do need to go to a 5g phone.
    I'm with Straight talk as a provider so I'll see what they have to offer.

The thing is I'm cheap and money is getting harder to come by, thanks to comrade uncle Joe and if it's just something simple that needs fixing I would like to go that route if possible.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No, it's a 4G.
    I suppose I do need to go to a 5g phone.
    I'm with Straight talk as a provider so I'll see what they have to offer.

The thing is I'm cheap and money is getting harder to come by, thanks to comrade uncle Joe and if it's just something simple that needs fixing I would like to go that route if possible.

Couple of shopping tips in today's phone shopping...

Get the newest phone you can for the newest version of Android. You will be shocked at the things a modern smartphone can easily do vs the old phone with 2-3 version old android. My "old" Note 9 gets faster Internet speed tests than my Comcast cable home network.

Many newer phones come standard with water and drop protection. While not completely indestructible, they are leaps and bounds ahead of older designs. A lot of times a simple cheap silicone cover will be enough protection against minor drops.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Now this morning everything is working just fine, no problems so far.

Could it be that it's something I'm doing and don't realize it, like maybe pushing it too fast or whatever and it can't keep up?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Now this morning everything is working just fine, no problems so far.

Could it be that it's something I'm doing and don't realize it, like maybe pushing it too fast or whatever and it can't keep up?

Sounds like you are on to it.

Keep watching close to try to track what's going on. Carefull when you charge and close all background programs before. Don't be shy about rebooting.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Reboot every once in a while. Even my wife’s new iPhone has issues I can’t understand and a reboot usually works out and everything is fine afterwards.

I tend to reboot mine when I run it out of battery life.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    SMH. Just replace it. Its going to flake out again.

"Yeah, the car stalled out every day for a week, but now its not doing it, so I dont need to buy a new car."

Old stuff doesnt magically fix itself. Do yourself a favor and leave the fails behind. You'll be happier in the long run.

Top Bottom