• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Wait.. what??? What is this voodoo you speak of? This place is plumbed so the kitchen gets the hot/cold first. Makes showering a challenge

What is an anti-scald pressure balancing valve?​

An anti-scald pressure balancing valve is a special device that’s built into the shower handle that regulates the water pressure from the hot and cold water lines to prevent sudden, extreme changes in temperature.

Nowadays, new construction codes require these kinds of valves, but if your home is a little older it may not have any installed. If your shower doesn’t have one, your water temperature may get so hot it can cause burns. To prevent burns, experts recommend limiting your tap water temperature to no higher than 120º F.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I'm with those who say to shut the valve down a bit going into the toilet tank. This is a simple matter of there not being enough VOLUME (not pressure) to run 2 high-demand fixtures at a time. Make one of them not a high-demand fixture by closing the valve to about 50%.

Unless it's a mercy-flush situation, you don't care that it takes 30 seconds longer to fill the tank. Even then, if you have to flush twice in that time.....you have bigger problems.

OK, that is the weekend project...lower the flow.

Now...without telling too many tales...I will say, generally speaking, uhhhh...if i don't flush 3-4 times, I don't flush once. That's all. :):

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    NECRO-BUMP!!!

An update for those with irregular water pressure who may follow.

I had given up and decided to live with the problem, but then family piled into the house at the end of December. Of course everyone noticed the low hot water pressure when flushing, washing dishes/clothes, etc.

Long story short, I believe the issue is related to the water softener. The existing one is about 15 years old. By chance, I learned there is a bypass on the softener. In response to one particularly recalcitrant free water user, Mini Miguel, I activated the bypass, and after that it was like Niagara Falls was the source of our fresh water! I simultaneously ran two sinks, a shower (on an upper floor) and then flushed a toilet. Nary a change in flow or temperature at any faucet!

Of course this comes at the expense of soft water, but given the choice of hard water or no water, I chose hard water. I know there is a risk to appliances, pipes, etc. I'll likely try to run multiple cycles of softening over the next week to see if I can rejuvenate the resin/media that is in my unit. If that doesn't help, I'll probably just swap in a new unit or keep the bypass on permnently.

Thanks for all who provided feedback during this difficult time. :)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good to know!
    A friend of mine reported losing pressure progressively farther and farther down the line and the 2nd to the last had almost no pressure.

Somebody told him to check his toilet tank for beads, and sure enough there they were. the aerators had a few in them but several shutoff valves had to be pulled and backflushed to get the beads out of the line because the beads were clogging the shutoffs.

Top Bottom