Ok guys got a question with a rifle for deer this year.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zbiddle91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    SULLIVAN
    My fiances dad gave me his marlin 30-30 my question I have is is this gun suitable for deer hunting on are 5 acres that's mainly hills. usally we use a 410 but I only have 1 and the finace wants to use it. so will the 30-30 drop a deer at 75 to 100 yards.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If you steer the bullet so as to punch holes in vital organs, of course it will. The recent thinking of whitetails being hard to kill is folly and will pass.

Despite being handicapped with a 0.308" bore it is still worth choosing an excellent bullet.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If you feel confident in shooting a rifled lead slug .410 to drop a deer at the same range, you should have full faith in the 30-30

The recent thinking of whitetails being hard to kill is folly and will pass.

Exactly, to drop one doesn't take much

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    The deer have gotten smart...Best to select an AP round to get through the Kevlar.

DEERvest2-SPOTTED-3WEB.jpg

Attachments

• DEERvest2-SPOTTED-3WEB.jpg
      DEERvest2-SPOTTED-3WEB.jpg
      134.1 KB · Views: 6

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Shooting deer at 75-100 yards might just be what God intended the 30-30 to do. It should be a very good hunting gun for you.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am SO looking forward to using the old 30 30 this year!

Two years ago, I bought a brand new Mossberg 464 lever action .30-30 with the laminate stock and the Davison's Gallery of Guns exclusive "Marine-Cote" finish and Williams Fire-Sights.
    I sold my Marlin 336 to my younger brother.
    We're both looking forward to this upcoming season...

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    If you steer the bullet so as to punch holes in vital organs, of course it will. The recent thinking of whitetails being hard to kill is folly and will pass.

Despite being handicapped with a 0.308" bore it is still worth choosing an excellent bullet.
    You have a better outlook than me; I've been hearing this same BS for over 30 years. OP 30-30 is solid deer medicine as other have stated. Growing up in the South the 30-30 was King in my neck of the woods.

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    The 30-30 is one of the best rounds for deer hunting, because the bullets that it uses are specifically designed for it and its velocities. To call the 30-30 "Americas Deer Gun" may still be correct. Yes the ballistics of some of the bolt action rounds are better, but to see them at work you need more than a football field and a half of distance between you and the deer. I have a 30-06 that I am working rounds up for the coming season. But also have a 30-30 that is getting ready and I have little doubt that the effects of the two inside 150 yards or so will be hard to distinguish.
    I owned a gun shop for years and was in business when Law Enforcement dropped the revolvers, in favor of high cap 9mm's. It was amazing the number of people who brought in .357 revolvers and asked if they were worth anything? as they traded for "wonder nines" because they were led to believe that they just could not defend themselves with a six shot .357mag any more. That's some of the same thing that has taken place with the lever-action 30-30. It still works just as well as ever, but the focus of the buying public is now on something else.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    When I first started hunting in Kentucky I bought a new Savage in 30 30 over a 12 gage. It was the best of both worlds. You could take deer with it, rabbits, or birds. It was capable of doing it all. One well placed shot with the 30 30 will stop a deer in its tracks. They will also take down a Black Bear.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    The gentlemen my Dad bought my 30-30 from killed a black bear in WV, and I've taken 3 bucks with it since. I've never had one take more than a step after impact. All shots were 50-100yds in the beautiful hills of KY. The 30-30 is perfect for deer.

Top Bottom