OH will recognize IN LTCH in the near future!!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    No permit is needed to carry a firearm openly in Ohio, only to conceal.

Unfortunately, the main point of conflict was that they consider carrying in a vehicle to be carrying concealed so that fact was pointless while traveling in or through the state.

The vehicle thing always annoyed me. What if you were in a jeep with the doors off and it was on your outside hip?

Glad our easterly neighbor is warming up to us. Is it too early to go in for a kiss and butt grab?

just wait a year or two. You don't want to get nailed and forever be known on INGO as that one kid Who did that thing

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The vehicle thing always annoyed me. What if you were in a jeep with the doors off and it was on your outside hip?

The way their code is written, I think even openly carrying on a motorcycle is considered concealed. :n00b:

Glad our easterly neighbor is warming up to us. Is it too early to go in for a kiss and butt grab?

Let's see how they respond to the butt grab before committing further. :grabass:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Of course I meant after March 23. I guess everyone between ages 18 and 21 are out of luck.

Yes. And no worse off than you are right now, but in fact better: You at least have an expectation that in the next three years, you will be able to carry there.

Contrast that with my experience in my later teens: A few months before I turned 18, the law changed to where the age to lawfully drink alcoholic beverages was 19. Wanna guess what it did the following year? Yep. Went up to 21. I was sure that when I turned 20, they were going to bounce it up to 23 or something similar. (they didn't.)

Now, that didn't matter to me, as I had no intention of drinking. Still don't, even now, but the Texas legislature doing that teasing act seemed kinda cruel, even though I knew it obviously wasn't directed at me.

In your case, the OH legislature is where your ire belongs, IMHO

RClark

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Wow thanks for the info. I am currently in Ohio. I had read that the gun need be away from ammo and locked separately in the vehicle. My thoughts were to bring so I may continue to practice for some USPSA shoots to start in spring. Well I guess I'll wait on that.
    tahnk you

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    So, is this going to put a big dent in the Utah permit class business?

It very well might. I've had my Utah for a couple years now and since I've already got it I will keep it current. At one time I thought about getting certified to teach the Utah here. Someone visits the area now that's been doing it for a long time and I thought twice about it. Once the rumor Ohio was going to do this started I completely flushed the idea. As much as I would have loved to take a drive to Utah to get my certification and spend a week there for fun, I can't justify it now if it will be useless.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    It very well might. I've had my Utah for a couple years now and since I've already got it I will keep it current. At one time I thought about getting certified to teach the Utah here. Someone visits the area now that's been doing it for a long time and I thought twice about it. Once the rumor Ohio was going to do this started I completely flushed the idea. As much as I would have loved to take a drive to Utah to get my certification and spend a week there for fun, I can't justify it now if it will be useless.

Utah permit won;t be useless. Just not needed in Ohio. Thankfully, more states are starting to recognize Indiana permits so things are better, generally than they were, say, 5 years ago. Now if we could just get Illinois, New York, Massachusetts, etc to fall in line....

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Utah permit won;t be useless. Just not needed in Ohio. Thankfully, more states are starting to recognize Indiana permits so things are better, generally than they were, say, 5 years ago. Now if we could just get Illinois, New York, Massachusetts, etc to fall in line....

Agree, it won't be completely useless, just mostly for my location. Almost dead center of the state as far as N to S goes, but 3 miles from the Ohio line. The ONLY reason people in this area get the Utah is for Ohio. I'll keep it because I already did the training and it isn't expensive to keep. I won't take the time or expense of traveling to Utah to get my certification to be an instructor like I planned on though.

If I do decide to travel it will always be either straight South or West. I have no desire to go East, especially N. East, for any reason. Even if Illinois ever does accept ours I'll go far out of my way to avoid that entire state like the plague.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Yes. And no worse off than you are right now, but in fact better: You at least have an expectation that in the next three years, you will be able to carry there.

Contrast that with my experience in my later teens: A few months before I turned 18, the law changed to where the age to lawfully drink alcoholic beverages was 19. Wanna guess what it did the following year? Yep. Went up to 21. I was sure that when I turned 20, they were going to bounce it up to 23 or something similar. (they didn't.)

Now, that didn't matter to me, as I had no intention of drinking. Still don't, even now, but the Texas legislature doing that teasing act seemed kinda cruel, even though I knew it obviously wasn't directed at me.

In your case, the OH legislature is where your ire belongs, IMHO
    I live so close to OH (less than five minute drive) that this is very depressing. I'll be 21 in September though I guess.

jimbobcooters

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Can someone save me from reading all 16 pages. Has this passed? With some age limits? Thanks any info would be appreciated.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Can someone save me from reading all 16 pages. Has this passed? With some age limits? Thanks any info would be appreciated.

Yes, it passed. Takes effect some time in March (the 23rd or so, I believe?). No age limits per se, other than extant age limits (21+ to carry concealed in Ohio).

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I just recently drove from Indy to Detroit and tossed Mr. Glock in the trunk someplace east of Ft. Wayne, and took it out when I got to Motown, then reverse on the way home, saw the Home Again in Indiana welcomes you sign and geared back up, wont have to do it anymore, good deal.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Considering that the cops in Ohio are some of the MOST anti gun cops I have ever seen I can't understand why anyone would choose to go in there with a sidearm. Some of them couldn't care less if you have a permit or not. They don't believe "citizens" should have guns even if the law says it's OK. Illinois is about the same. I lived in Illinois for 12 years and today I will gladly drive all the way around that State rather than go through it. And I have several times.

Top Bottom