Officially bought my first pistol last week....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    So I finally bought me a pistol from a dealer now that I've been 21 for over a month. I decided on a SR9 two-tone due to the fact that is is a Ruger which I have never had issues with, its high cap mags, and that my gf actually likes the feel of it (she was going to buy herself one but I beat her to the punch ;) hehe). I've successfully ran 50 round through it. I love the way it feels and shoots, pretty accurate for me so far, just getting used to it though since I've mostly been a wheel man. I'm thinking about changing to fiber optic front sights and also want to know what else I can do to it to make it even better. Anyone got any suggestions?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Before you change too many things, spend your money on ammo and get used to it really well and get good with it. From that point you will know exactly what customizing you want to do and you will not waste money buying things you really did not like after all. Congratulations on your birthday and your new purchase.

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    Before you change too many things, spend your money on ammo and get used to it really well and get good with it. From that point you will know exactly what customizing you want to do and you will not waste money buying things you really did not like after all. Congratulations on your birthday and your new purchase.

:+1:

Get used to it for awhile first. So many options of things that can be done, but tough to know what is best personally early in.

I'm always all for fiber optic sights though

Enjoy your new purchase. My buddy has one of those and he loves it.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    SR9 is an excellent firearm. As noted above, don't be in a big rush to change something that you like. If you find something that doesn't work for you over time, then see about solutions. Enjoy!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I agree with everyone also, 99% of the time the one thing you can change to make a gun shoot better is the shooter and the shooter experience and skills.
    The gun will "shoot better" as you train more with it.

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    Well I've got another 200 rounds through it, no flaws, and she seems to group extremely well with Hydra-Shoks, figured I needed to make sure my self defense rounds shot well, but I was punching the same hole at 10 yards, so she is going to do what I want. I'm still having trouble finding a good FMJ ammo for it though, the best I can get is 4 inches at 10 yards running PMC, Federal, and Winchester. What's been the best round for anyone who has one?

Also thinking about reloading for it, so if anyone has a good recipe to start with, that'd be great.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    If you are punching the same hole at 10 yards with hydrashoks, but 4" groups with factory fmj, sounds like your perception is the problem. Lol No offense. Try s&b brass cased, great stuff. At a distance like 10 yards, everything is gonna fly perfectly straight. Maybe your are focussing better on the defense ammo? 4" group for a newby to autos isnt really that bad at all.

Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy
    First off, :welcome: to the Ruger SR9 club, happy to have you! I use my SR9 as my EDC and love it. I have well over 1000 rounds down the pipe and no hiccup what-so-ever. I've owned many semi auto Ruger's over yrs, chambered in 9mm, .40 cal and .45 cal. but the SR9 is by far my most favorite! I use the cheap Wally World white box ammo to feed her while at the range, and also use the Hydra-Shocks as self defense ammo. I couldn't ask for a better sidearm:)

Last edited:

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana
    Congratulations on your new gun purchase!! I still have mine its a S&W 915 9mm .In my opinion if the gun shoots good and its comfortable keep it if you want to change something dont, just go get another gun with the features you want on your second new purchase...!

manygunsmike

Top Bottom