• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    Is their a way to find the number of LTCHs issued per county or city?

Recently someone I know applied for a LCTH and while he was at the Warrick county sheriff's dept a deputy told him that 65-70% of eligable people in Boonville had LTCHs.

While this number sounds great it seems high to me.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I don't believe there is a reliable way of knowing the exact number besides a wild guesstimate. I've heard 300,000 state wide and I've heard up to 20% before.

I know it is more than I realized the more I talk to people about guns (it helps to OC if you want to talk to people about guns) and the demographic will really surprise you as well.

Anyway good luck trying to find it and if you get a reliable source post it! But I don't think you will since they are not public record in Indiana.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I would say 5% would be low for Warrick county but 65%would be very high. I wasnt there when he said that and he could have been making a reference to something else and it didnt translate well to my cousin.

It would be intersting to know for sure though. I thought I read a newpaper article one time where you could look up the number of LTCH holders down to the street but, maybe that was another state.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There is a database. The number was 318K as of 2009. Check out Log in: HeraldTimesOnline.com. You can search it right down to street name.

You may have to pay for a subscription to the HT see this link.

The Bedford newspaper website used to have a link for that too. It doesn't appear to be there anymore. Seems like I remember talk of making these records unanailable to the public...is that why?

(yeah, you do have to have a subscription to log into the HT site.)

Last edited:

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    So there's 330,000 people in the state of Indiana who are licensed to carry? Could we reasonably assume that there are likely twice that amount of people in Indiana who own rifles/shotguns who do not have an LTCH? That would conservatively place the number of armed citizens in Indiana at almost 1 million?

And that's just Indiana. Assuming we are fairly average, then there are maybe 50+ million people in the US that are armed? No wonder nobody wants to invade the US!

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    The HT database is bit of a PITA. You can search by county, but it doesn't give you a total number of LTCHs in that county - it only gives you a list of streets in that county and the number of LTCHs on each street. To get the total, it appears that you have to go through every street in the county and do the math. For example, there are 38 pages of street names listed for Warrick County.

This thing is really only convenient for finding out how many of your neighbors have a LTCH.

Guy

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    HOUSE ENROLLED ACT No. 1068, which went into effect July 1, 2010, seals the LTCH records from the general public. Here is a link to the Act:

Enrolled Act, House Bill 1068

And a links to the discussion on INGO, including discussion of the Herald's continued publishing of their copy:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_2nd_amendment/80706-hb_1068_is_now_law.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_2nd_amendment/176882-handgun_license_database.html

Correct. I've not done it, but it appears that the law does still allow the release of the database info in aggregate form, such as what this thread is about. Someone could probably call ISP and ask for the info. You might have to pay for the cd they send you and the time of a tech to burn it on there. It used to be around $20-25.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So there's 330,000 people in the state of Indiana who are licensed to carry? Could we reasonably assume that there are likely twice that amount of people in Indiana who own rifles/shotguns who do not have an LTCH? That would conservatively place the number of armed citizens in Indiana at almost 1 million?

And that's just Indiana. Assuming we are fairly average, then there are maybe 50+ million people in the US that are armed? No wonder nobody wants to invade the US!

Sadly, though you have the right idea, you're looking at it, well, like a Marine. (That's a compliment, BTW.)
    The problem with your thinking is that not all of those gun owners are willing to use their guns at the right time. Said better, the "right time" is different for all of us. There are some who would never raise their gun(s) against anything but a deer or a piece of paper, while others right here on INGO are running into the streets with their rifles a couple times a day, only to see that they're the only ones there. (speaking figuratively, of course)
    I started this post with "sadly", but on reflection, maybe it's not sad at all.

Semper Fi and as always,
    Blessings,
    Bill

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I read somewhere that there are 80+ million of gun owners in the US.

Top Bottom