• ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    About using WML to search with....

How else will a single officer move items and still keep his firearm out in case of danger? I don't see another way to do all of this at the same time. Activate light, leave it on with finger not on trigger but ready, use off hand to rummage through stuff as you look for the bad guy.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    (Might dealing with a large dog which, contrary to what some have said, seemed pretty damned irritated to me and appeared to be trying to get out of that kennel convince someone that they may have to shoot the dog to protect themselves? I reckon it's possible.)

That dog was curious, not irritated. An aggressive dog would have had its head down, front legs crouched, body rigid, lips curled, and very little to no barking. That said I think the dog did put the officers on edge, probably unnecessarily. Not officers fault if they have never had training on what to look for, but a loud barking dog doesn't automatically make it aggressive.

Last edited:

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Theyre Humans. Yeah they will learn from this and hopefully so will others. They have dangerous jobs and their SOP's are written in the blood of their brothers and sisters. I'd still take them over most of ingo

Couldnt have said it better.

Btw all the hating going around but whats the first thing you do when you are in trouble, you call the police. To those who think you could do a better job, get your Jonny Hanny on the line!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Btw all the hating going around but whats the first thing you do when you are in trouble, you call the police. To those who think you could do a better job, get your Jonny Hanny on the line!
    It’s way easier and safer to *****, whine, and complain, via the anonynet, than actually get a job and try to improve the perceived slights.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Don't have to be a helicopter pilot to know you're not supposed to crash it into the ground.

The dumbass shot another cop because he couldn't keep his finger off the trigger. You don't have to be a police officer to call that out as idiotic, incompetent, negligent behavior.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Don't have to be a helicopter pilot to know you're not supposed to crash it into the ground.

The dumbass shot another cop because he couldn't keep his finger off the trigger. You don't have to be a police officer to call that out as idiotic, incompetent, negligent behavior.

I did not say that there wasnt a issue with the situation but forming a "Im a perfect armchair helicopter pilot club" isnt very productive. Yes mistakes were made, guess you havnt made any serious mistakes. In a occupation where guns and the many P.O.S.s of the community meet and mix, there will be mistakes. Yes his booger hook was where it shouldnt have been at that very second but my guess it was there to cover his partner from a large dog. Im positive it wasnt intended and yes some more training is needed but to call him a dumbass is alil harsh. Itd be the same calling you a dumbass for not seeing all aspects of the sitch, but you werent there. Enjoy your helicopter rides, its your world..

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yes mistakes were made

It's not a "mistake". It's negligence.

Imagine for a second that the police come in to search your house, and you "mistakenly" shoot one of them because you tripped over your dog. Do you get a "no harm, no foul"? No, you get 17+1 bullet wounds and life in prison for assaulting a police officer with a deadly weapon. Nobody cares if it was a "mistake'. You're still responsible for any bullets you fire, whether it was a mistake or not. Your life is over if you make that same "little mistake".

Sorry not sorry, the shielding of this dumbass from consequences is ridiculous. He is unfit to serve as a police officer, unfit to possess firearms, and is guilty of shooting a police officer. He belongs off the force and in a courtroom, not out on the streets where his idiocy can potentially injure or kill more people.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I did not say that there wasnt a issue with the situation but forming a "Im a perfect armchair helicopter pilot club" isnt very productive. Yes mistakes were made, guess you havnt made any serious mistakes. In a occupation where guns and the many P.O.S.s of the community meet and mix, there will be mistakes. Yes his booger hook was where it shouldnt have been at that very second but my guess it was there to cover his partner from a large dog. Im positive it wasnt intended and yes some more training is needed but to call him a dumbass is alil harsh. Itd be the same calling you a dumbass for not seeing all aspects of the sitch, but you werent there. Enjoy your helicopter rides, its your world..

My BIGGEST issue with this whole thing is this:
    WE all know that he screwed up. He was careless and/or negligent. He wasn't following the 4 rules.

BUT, his chief gave a news conference and said there was NO carelessness or negligence, and it was just an accident. In other words, he got on TV and essentially said "well, when you carry a firearm these things just happen from time to time." What better way to feed the anti-gun narrative that firearms are dangerous to even own because, well, gosh sometimes you just accidentally shoot people if you have one, even if you aren't careless or negligent.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The chief may or may not be telling the truth. It is not in his or the department's better interest to accept blame or declare negligence. As much as us gun guys would like him to point out and learn from mistakes made, in today's ambulance chaser reality, accepting liability is a problem.

The chief also is accountable to the community. Volunteering negligence could mean a huge settlement that would be paid for by whom? :spend:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Interesting, I was taught to keep my finger off the bang switch until you.......... Has Rule #3 Changed in the past 50 years???

One of the problems with this shooting is La PD Chief and the Board don't even own up to the negligence..
    Maybe they came to that conclusion to help mitigate the coming civil suit.. :dunno:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The chief may or may not be telling the truth. It is not in his or the department's better interest to accept blame or declare negligence. As much as us gun guys would like him to point out and learn from mistakes made, in today's ambulance chaser reality, accepting liability is a problem.

The chief also is accountable to the community. Volunteering negligence could mean a huge settlement that would be paid for by whom? :spend:

Thats my opinion also.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Dude really? ... Your scenario pretty sure yup your done shouldve just put it on the table, floor, chair or dropped it before walking towards him with or without a dog in between you two. Pretty sure a cop will not take it from you handing it to him probably tell u to drop it, i would and im not a cop.

Dumbass really? The officer that shot his fellow officer might have thought to shoot the dog and in a breif second he changes his mind and maybe dog bit him anyway or door hit his hand or something else and the gun discharges unintentionally. You or I
    Were not there but negligence is a narrow brush and youre hitn him with the paint bucket. Im not sayn all cops are perfect and I am not one but have several in the family and no not all of them are my favorite people. Like ive said before somewhere, IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE PERFECT SITUATIONAL AWARENESS AND THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER, GET YOUR JON HANNY ON THE LINE AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Pretty sure if you had the ability and didnt and kept b****ing i think you qualify for that position your giving that officer.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Im not sayn all cops are perfect and I am not one but have several in the family and no not all of them are my favorite people. Like ive said before somewhere, IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE PERFECT SITUATIONAL AWARENESS AND THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER, GET YOUR JON HANNY ON THE LINE AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Pretty sure if you had the ability and didnt and kept b****ing i think you qualify for that position your giving that officer.

This is such an incredibly lazy defense. It's not about me, it's about him. It's about his conduct and the results of his actions. His job is to not shoot other police officers by being a dumbass.

TBH your comments reek of naked, lazy tribalism. All cops are in the right all the time and never in history has any police officer ever done less than a stellar job, even when they're putting other cops in the hospital with gunshot wounds. :rolleyes:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My BIGGEST issue with this whole thing is this:
    WE all know that he screwed up. He was careless and/or negligent. He wasn't following the 4 rules.

BUT, his chief gave a news conference and said there was NO carelessness or negligence, and it was just an accident. In other words, he got on TV and essentially said "well, when you carry a firearm these things just happen from time to time." What better way to feed the anti-gun narrative that firearms are dangerous to even own because, well, gosh sometimes you just accidentally shoot people if you have one, even if you aren't careless or negligent.

The Chief whitewashed LPD negligence FOURTEEN DAYS after telling us, the Lafayette peasantry, that we must own decisions we make with firearms and yet here he is running away from owning anything to do with one of his officers setting fire to another.

This is a mountain of hypocrisy that is very hard to take.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Dude really? ... Your scenario pretty sure yup your done shouldve just put it on the table, floor, chair or dropped it before walking towards him with or without a dog in between you two. Pretty sure a cop will not take it from you handing it to him probably tell u to drop it, i would and im not a cop.

Dumbass really? The officer that shot his fellow officer might have thought to shoot the dog and in a breif second he changes his mind and maybe dog bit him anyway or door hit his hand or something else and the gun discharges unintentionally. You or I
    Were not there but negligence is a narrow brush and youre hitn him with the paint bucket. Im not sayn all cops are perfect and I am not one but have several in the family and no not all of them are my favorite people. Like ive said before somewhere, IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE PERFECT SITUATIONAL AWARENESS AND THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER, GET YOUR JON HANNY ON THE LINE AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Pretty sure if you had the ability and didnt and kept b****ing i think you qualify for that position your giving that officer.

I've served thank you, Its as simple as his finger was where it wasn't supposed to be. Its not like its a new rule thats been added...

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    And yes i believe and conduct myself according to the 4 rules, i wasnt there. Wish you pilots were so i could sleep at night..

Top Bottom