• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • citizenvain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I unfortunately, live in a neighborhood with a very clique-ish HOA Board and neighbors and it seems I'm in the minority on some viewpoints. I'm willing to give ground on issues and covenant changes the community wants to pass, etc. but I've been informed by a member of the HOA board that I am "causing concern in the neighborhood with my firearm".

See, I OC. I OC to work, I OC to client sites (not all), I OC to dinner, I OC walking my dogs, I OC. I choose to OC for various reasons. I OC period.

This HOA board member happens to be a LEO, and even though he prefaced what he wrote to me that he is a staunch supporter of 2nd Amendment rights, I don't believe him. How can I believe someone who says "you know, I'm a huge supporter of #2, but you should leave your gun in the house locked up because the sight of it scares the neighbors."

You would think this "concern" I'm causing is because I walk down the middle of the street, ghetto carrying...but in fact, the only time I walk around the neighborhood is with my gf and the kids when we walk the dogs.

How would some of you react to this? They're already making hints that since I choose to carry, that I can't be involved in the Crime Watch Committee. It makes my stomach sick that I'm being alienated in my own neighborhood by people I pay dues to no less. I feel like I’m going to be discriminated against because I choose to carry and practice my 2nd Amendment right.

What would you do or say?

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Forward a motion to put up fencing around your community, so that the sheep don't run too far when they see you coming.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I would politely fight any infringement on my rights as much as I could. That is the reason I refuse to live in a neighborhood and live out in the country. I will not live somewhere where a neighborhood association can tell me what to do on my property (unless they want to start paying my mortgage).

citizenvain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The thing is I wouldn't put it past this HOA board to pass a change to the covenents saying you can't carry in the neighborhood or worst yet, even have them in your home. They have rules dictating where we can park our cars (as written, in our garages only). As many of you have experienced, the rules are promoted as something that maintains the home values, or keeps children safe. And when you speak out against a rule you disagree with... you'are automtically labeld by the HOA as someone who wants the neighborhood to fail or does not want children safe. It is quite a racket they have going. When you can lable home owners like that, it makes it easy to make changes to the convenants and more and more rules to how I can live on my property.

Trust me, if we could up and move, I would. The benefits of having an active HOA Board is not worth the pain I feel in being treated like this for standing up for something I believe in. Because I'm paying for this treatment, if you know what I am saying. Anyone else ever had similar runs with their HOA?

Last edited:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    HOA's are a double edged sword. On one hand they keep anybody from painting their house florescent pink trimmed in lime green. On the other hand they can become self-important little dictators. Tell them that you are well within your rights as a citizen of the state of Indiana and until that changes, you'll continue to do so. You might also get some NRA/ILA fact hand-outs and take them to the next meeting. Good luck!!! :patriot:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    If you are walking down a public street, minding your own business, doing absolutely nothing illegal or wrong, I would politely write back and tell the HOA to go pound sand.

MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    A possibility in your situation would be to open up lines of communication with your neighbors. By this I mean an attempt, on your part, to pre-empt any fear or scare that people have of you carrying. In order to do this you would most likely have to address their concerns individually. An example of this would be to write back to your LEO neighbor and politely inform him/her that you feel more comfortable doing what you do (OC). Further, that it is your privilege/right to do so in private and public because you have followed the necessary steps laid out by the Indiana Legislature. Also go to a HOA meeting and distribute information about your right to carry and offer anyone with questions as to why you choose to OC some time in which you can fairly discuss the issue. If they still are scared then let them be scared.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    What exactly have they done/said other than one guy writing a letter. Was the letter from the cop who happens to be a board member, or was a letter FROM the board?

Has the board officially asked/ordered you to do anything?

I've never seen a HOA bylaws that said "no OC". So until they pass something, I doubt there is anything they can do.

In any event, HOA's generally suck. Everyone who lives there gets f'ed over eventually. Condo-commandos were what we called them in Florida.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I would politely fight any infringement on my rights as much as I could. That is the reason I refuse to live in a neighborhood and live out in the country. I will not live somewhere where a neighborhood association can tell me what to do on my property (unless they want to start paying my mortgage).

Exactly :yesway:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I live in a rural HOA and love it BUT before I moved in I carefully went over the covenants with my lawyer. It would be virtually impossible to pass a new covenant in my HOA regarding anything but probably totally impossible regarding guns. If I were you I would very carefully go over the rules and the procedure required to pass a new covenant. my experience with HOAs is that they often threaten but rarely have the ability to follow through . . . especially if there is no existing rule.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    you DO realize that the :sheep: would be calling the SWAT team for that doing you? :runaway: LOL

Greg

what dept would be getting called. i will call theM and see if there is anything they would want brought to the cookout cause they are going to be called to that address the day of. and if they Tell me to get off the phone then i will telll them to look for the guy in the red hat (me) and i will be waiting to tell them "TOLD YOU AND NOW THERE ISN'T ENOUGH FOOD FOR EVERYONE"

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I don't believe that your HOA could pas a defacto anti-carrying clause because it would be defeated by the State Preemption of firearms laws. I have to honestly say that I'd make it a point to OC the biggest, baddest sidearm I could bear, just to pee in their wheaties. I wouldn't normally involve myself in such foolishness, but I'll be damned if my neighbors are going to tell ME what to do... Hell, I'd probably invite a buddy with a pintle-mounted M2 over just so we could clean it in the driveway...

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I don't believe that your HOA could pas a defacto anti-carrying clause because it would be defeated by the State Preemption of firearms laws. I have to honestly say that I'd make it a point to OC the biggest, baddest sidearm I could bear, just to pee in their wheaties. I wouldn't normally involve myself in such foolishness, but I'll be damned if my neighbors are going to tell ME what to do... Hell, I'd probably invite a buddy with a pintle-mounted M2 over just so we could clean it in the driveway...

:biggun::lol2:

citizenvain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am all for the OC coookout. Seriously, I am in the dumps over this. The whole situation just makes me regret moving to this neighborhood. The HOA board seems to have authority too to change conventants without a majority HOA vote, meaning, home owners dont' necessarily get to vote on every rule change. And from what I read, an HOA is considered a private association, meaning, they could pass all kinds of crazy rules that would be normally considered illegal/discremantory, etc but since we are part of a "private club" if you will, its they way or the...

I'm not causing anyone trouble, I'm not flaunting my firearm (glock 19). And if you seen men, I'm in business casual/yuppie attire most of the time in public. I just really feel like I'm being singled out because of my stance on the big 2.

I'm on the SE of Indy we are going to do the cookout. :)

Top Bottom