• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I can't for the life on me understand how seemingly intelligent people can't get a grasp on how the system works and who the appropriate folks to talk to about laws they view as improper, unjust or unconctitutional would be. If I go to a restaraunt and scream at the waitress for the way my food was cooked most folks would look at me like an idiot realizing that the waitress didn't cook it.

Sweet analogy, let me take a crack at it.

I would be justified in screaming at the waitress if the cook handed her a bun with a piece of crap on it and she was such a spineless, just overall terrible person, that she went ahead and served it to me. I would further be justified in yelling at her when she claimed authority over me and demanded that I pay for the crap sandwich or else she will use lethal force against me. Finally, I would certainly be justified screaming at this waitress when while I was paying for the crap sandwich, the cook decided it should be illegal to purchase crap, and ordered the waitress to exercise her self-claimed authority over me and place me in confinement in the restaurant's dungeon.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sweet analogy, let me take a crack at it.

I would be justified in screaming at the waitress if the cook handed her a bun with a piece of crap on it and she was such a spineless, just overall terrible person, that she went ahead and served it to me. I would further be justified in yelling at her when she claimed authority over me and demanded that I pay for the crap sandwich or else she will use lethal force against me. Finally, I would certainly be justified screaming at this waitress when while I was paying for the crap sandwich, the cook decided it should be illegal to purchase crap, and ordered the waitress to exercise her self-claimed authority over me and place me in confinement in the restaurant's dungeon.

Well, the rebuttal to that, is that you ordered (or voted) for crap, and had a hand in choosing (electing) the cook.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Well, the rebuttal to that, is that you ordered (or voted) for crap, and had a hand in choosing (electing) the cook.
    Of course, you know that is far from a valid comparison, don't you. If fact, its so bad as to earn the title sophomoric. Please, go back to your rhetoric class!

lashicorn, presuming him to be rational, did not order a **** sandwich. Perhaps he ordered a burger, or some other sandwich. It was the cook who prepared the crap sandwich, and the waitress who served it, knowing it was not what was ordered. Now, if he were the owner of that fine diner, perhaps he would not be out of line in yelling at either or both of his (soon to be former) employees. Kind of like the taxpayers who are pissed at the legislators who pass crazy, unreasonable laws and the "public servants" who believe they have no choice but to enforce them. (Of course, they do. They can always say no, even if they have to find new employment to do so.)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    (Of course, they do. They can always say no, even if they have to find new employment to do so.)

Who decides if the laws are crazy and unreasonable? Obviously someone didn't think they were or the wouldn't have been written, so who do I check with? You? If you tell me that the laws are crazy and unreasonable and that I should look for other employment to satisfy you, are you going to feed my family while I look for work? Make my mortgage payment? Pay my Uverse bill so I can still watch The Outdoor Channel?

No? So I should sacrifice the well being of my family and a career I've worked hard to develop because of a law that you disagree with yet you're not willing to do your part?

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North

What? Why would I order or vote on a crap sandwich?

I very clearly ordered (or wrote in) a cheeseburger on a pretzel bun.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    are you going to feed my family while I look for work? Make my mortgage payment? Pay my Uverse bill so I can still watch The Outdoor Channel?

No? So I should sacrifice the well being of my family and a career I've worked hard to develop because of a law that you disagree with yet you're not willing to do your part?

That's thing. I don't even mind the taxes...relatively, to a certain extent, for the existence of legitimate law enforcement. Just stop (not you, personally) telling me what I can and cannot do with my property, money, body, time, etc., so long as it doesn't conflict with your duty to keep the general peace. Keep your job and the outdoor channel, just don't tread on me.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Interesting. But mostly I'm interested in the fact that you indirectly gave "W" a kudos. I nearly fainted. :):
    I noticed that too.

I can't for the life on me understand how seemingly intelligent people can't get a grasp on how the system works and who the appropriate folks to talk to about laws they view as improper, unjust or unconctitutional would be. If I go to a restaraunt and scream at the waitress for the way my food was cooked most folks would look at me like an idiot realizing that the waitress didn't cook it.

That's just another version of "Just following orders."

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Are militias still considered crazy? I know they weren't 230 years ago.

Absolutely nuts! You know that the .gov would never encroach on our rights and its enforcement personnel would never decide that providing for themselves and families and maintaining their positions is more important than respecting the oath they took. Now that we have that settled, I have this really great deal available for you on this bridge...

Seriously, not everyone in law enforcement is a mercenary driven strictly by self-serving motives, but I have encountered enough of them in my travels that I am sure as the universe not counting on their sense of honor as my defense against tyranny. We see where trusting the British government got our forefathers, who, incidentally were correct in their belief that government is not eloquence but force.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    That's thing. I don't even mind the taxes...relatively, to a certain extent, for the existence of legitimate law enforcement. Just stop (not you, personally) telling me what I can and cannot do with my property, money, body, time, etc., so long as it doesn't conflict with your duty to keep the general peace. Keep your job and the outdoor channel, just don't tread on me.

What has been YOUR experience of having been tread on? Just curious....

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Nah, it's an understanding of how our system of government works.
    When someone refuses to do the moral/ethical/Constitutional right act because he is authorized by law to do something else, and then shrugs his shoulders and tells the populace to quit complaining and take it up with the legislators, it goes beyond how the system works. Unless by "how the system works" you mean "I get to screw you over because the law lets me."

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Of course there are good cops and bad cops, but at the same time since there are many PD's getting militarized across the country,(and many whom the .gov has already said "to hell with you", many who aren't), which is an end run around posse commitatus(sp?). We have the right to worry, about our homes and families.
    Should we try to change laws that are bad, yes. Should we be able to trust the police, yes. Alot of people don't, while some of them maybe biased, others have seen the good and bad side to LEO's. It's also a bit biased to say "if the law says", "I'm just supporting my family". So your looking out for the best interest of your family, and so are they. Is LEO a fine career, yes. You put your life on the line every day to protect people. We don't question that. We question the bad LEO's morals and convictions.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have a question regarding the issue of trusting police. Given that most all of the, even the honest examples, when stopping a person will do such things as shining bright lights in mirrors and do all the fishing they can manage to do, why the Hell should I trust people who preemptively treat me like a criminal?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have a question regarding the issue of trusting police. Given that most all of the, even the honest examples, when stopping a person will do such things as shining bright lights in mirrors and do all the fishing they can manage to do, why the Hell should I trust people who preemptively treat me like a criminal?

When you're out and about, does you SA allow you to discount certain strangers as possible threats (not counting children)?

Top Bottom