• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deviljunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Grandview
    seems when loading 357 i get anywhere from 1.58 to 1.60. loading 38 spl with same equipment it is 1.55 just about every single round.

heres what i am using: dillon 550, dillon dies. Redding profile crimp die. rcbs 162 gr swc with a gc.

looking for ideas .

i just bought the dillon dies thinking maybe thats what was causing it but it does the same thing with the dillon crimp die

thanks in advance

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I ran into a similar problem recently.
    Turned out I got some lube gelled up inside the seating die.
    Check/clean your die.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    seems when loading 357 i get anywhere from 1.58 to 1.60. loading 38 spl with same equipment it is 1.55 just about every single round.

heres what i am using: dillon 550, dillon dies. Redding profile crimp die. rcbs 162 gr swc with a gc.

looking for ideas .

i just bought the dillon dies thinking maybe thats what was causing it but it does the same thing with the dillon crimp die

thanks in advance

Long as your seating die is clean the problem is likely coming from the sizing die, or more to the root cause it's causing some deflection of the shell plate which affects the seating station tolerances. The Dillon dies really work the case back to OEM specs and as such there's a healthy bit of force at work inside of the sizing die when a case moves in and out of it.

Try a little bit of one shot or other dry case lube on a small percent of the cases you're planning to load to smooth things out and see if the issue improves.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

looking for ideas .

thanks in advance

I can appreciate your desire to be exact, you do realize that the tolerance that you already have is far tighter than you will ever see on a target, even if you can shoot 1 hole groups at 100 yards. Measure up some factory ammo, good stuff, not third world commie crap. Your current specs are far superior. Even on a ransom machine rest, you will not see +/- .010 on a target. Shoot, enjoy and do not worry, be happy.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I notice that you're quoting length in hundredths, not thousandths. Your variance is within .020", but even without knowing more precise detail than that, odds are very good it will make no discernible difference in how the 357 Mag ammo shoots.

I would not settle for that much variance in my long-range rifle ammo, but for pistol it's not too bad.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    For what it's worth, (and I'm not saying this is your problem), I've given up on roll crimps for all of my revolver ammunition, in favor of the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It will never buckle a case because it only applies lateral pressure through a collet system, not along it's length, forcing the crimp the way a roll crimp die does. Also, case length doesn't matter because it is designed to work off the top of the shell holder, not by the length of the case itself. I like the fact it crimps in a separate operation, so it can be used in most all progressive reloading machines.

It also has a carbide sizing ring that assures all the ammo that passes through it will chamber in any gun. They are inexpensive and easy to use. I have one in most every caliber I reload for.

deviljunkie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Grandview
    Long as your seating die is clean the problem is likely coming from the sizing die, or more to the root cause it's causing some deflection of the shell plate which affects the seating station tolerances. The Dillon dies really work the case back to OEM specs and as such there's a healthy bit of force at work inside of the sizing die when a case moves in and out of it.

Try a little bit of one shot or other dry case lube on a small percent of the cases you're planning to load to smooth things out and see if the issue improves.

I think this is what is causing it. I went and sized all my brass before hand and when I loaded them all up later the variance was minimal. +1

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom