Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I was stationed at the Great Lake Naval Hospital several years ago. One frigid morning, like today, a nurse failed to show up for work. When they sent someone to check on her, they found her body in the garage. Apparently, she had started her car, to warm it up, in the garage and then she discovered the door would not open. She apparently spent several minutes struggling to open it. She was overcome by CO poisoning.
    Since then, I rarely start the car without opening the door first.
    I don't even like to run the car with the garage door open. We have an attached garage, and I feel that a wee bit of that exhaust could get into the house. I open the garage door, start the car, and back out or the garage to let it warm up.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Picked the daughter up from her friends house at 1pm. Grand Blvd was sketchy south of 30 in the open areas. Straight home to start the cooking.

Potato soup and chili are ready. Making some homemade yeast dinner rolls for the soup and cornbread muffins to go with the chili.

Be plenty of leftovers for a couple dinners as well as a few days of lunches for me at work.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I've been achy and lethargic for over 24 hours. I slept 16/24 hours yesterday felt like crashing again last night. Runny nose and a hacking cough. Woke up today sleeping 14 hours. This can be done anytime.
    In 48 hours, when you don't eat and only sleep, I dropped 3.4 lbs. I haven't seen this weight since high school. I am feeling better though.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    We did chili last night. Had to do some running today, got a message that the washer had flooded the bathroom floor. Luckily just a frozen drain and not a burst supply line. Just a bit ago, I grabbed a beer that was sitting outside and got to experience a supercooled liquid. After my first sip, I got to watch the rest of the bottle freeze up in 10 seconds. I eventually was able to pour it into a glass, but 10 minutes later, there was still some frozen foam floating on top.

Last edited:

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    Dang it, power out for about 10 minutes now. Someone should have had mentioned making chili or something with this weather, it’d be nice in the dark. lol.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Dang it, power out for about 10 minutes now. Someone should have had mentioned making chili or something with this weather, it’d be nice in the dark. lol.
    My power went out just the other night for 4-5hrs woke up and it was still warm in the house with the wood burner going never even got out of bed lol

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    My power went out just the other night for 4-5hrs woke up and it was still warm in the house with the wood burner going never even got out of bed lol
    Wood burner almost always going here, Power on!, as I was about to say, only thing is no fan going to move air. I have a small battery generator I was going to get to run a fan. Way to go REMC, we’ll see if they’re just giving it to us for a bit. Better go flush now. Mellow yellow

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Lake County Alert System:

Wind Chill Advisory
    Wind Chill Advisory issued January 14 at 6:38PM CST until January 17 at 9:00AM CST by NWS Chicago IL
    * WHAT...For the Wind Chill Warning, dangerously cold wind
    chills. Wind chills as low as 35 below zero. For the Wind
    Chill Advisory, very cold wind chills expected. Wind chills as
    low as 25 below zero.

* WHERE...In Illinois, Central Cook and Southern Cook Counties.
    In Indiana, Lake IN and Porter Counties.

* WHEN...For the Wind Chill Warning, until noon CST Monday. For
    the Wind Chill Advisory, from noon Monday to 9 AM CST
    Wednesday.

* IMPACTS...The dangerously cold wind chills could cause
    frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 10 minutes.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
    Avoid outside activities if possible. When outside, make sure you
    wear appropriate clothing, a hat, and gloves.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom