• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    86 degrees outside, full sun, hotter in the garage.

So what happens? A food storage shelf collapsed, fell onto the shelf below it and collapsed that shelf too.

Fortunately most of the food is in low sided baskets and it was pretty well contained. One jar of spaghetti sauce hit the floor and broke. Everything else stayed put on the 2 collapsed shelves.

Just finished rebuilding and reinforcing (twice as many anchors) the shelving. So there is now a support every 8" instead of every 16" at the studs. The mid point anchors use drywall anchors so not as good as the stud points but it should be much stronger. The shelves where held with heavy plastic clips, my guess is age and weight got to the plastic and made them brittle. Fortunately I had a new bag of clips that are a heavier duty design so the old plastic were replaced as I rebuilt. I also reinforced the one shelf above the 2 that collapsed into a mess, fortunately that top shelf did not collapse too.

Pork butt has been smoking for about 18 hours, that will be coming out soon too. Got a watermelon on the counter. Pool is open, water is clear, heater is warming the water, hoping to relax the rest of the day. Beer is in the fridge.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Just finished rehabbing the back screen door. Yesterday I removed it from the hinges, cleaned it and repainted the exterior side. Today I replaced the torn screen and reinstalled everything. The latch hardware on those things are a PITA. Whoever installed it originally must have felt the same way because they drilled four different sets of holes for the latch handle before getting it right. Scratch another project off the to do list.

Got some nice New York strips to grill for the family later this afternoon.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    When you have a choice, anchor to a stud, and don't use plastic.
    I had it anchored to studs. It is now re-achored to the same studs + there are also anchors at the 8" point between the studs. Shelves are 8 feet long. There are 3 of them on the wall.

The shelves have been up for 20+ years. If they last, for another 20+ years with the new, stronger clips, and additional reinforcement, then they will very likely outlive me.

Total amount of lost food was about $3
    Total cost of the replacement hardware was less than $5
    I'm OK with that.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I had it anchored to studs. It is now re-achored to the same studs + there are also anchors at the 8" point between the studs. Shelves are 8 feet long. There are 3 of them on the wall.

The shelves have been up for 20+ years. If they last, for another 20+ years with the new, stronger clips, and additional reinforcement, then they will very likely outlive me.

Total amount of lost food was about $3
    Total cost of the replacement hardware was less than $5
    I'm OK with that.
    Lies.

With inflation that food was more like $10.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Maybe next year I'll try to remember to ask for help from INGO to put flags down.
    If I forget, you guys can ask how to help.

I know jobs prevent most from helping, but ANY help would be appreciated.
    This time, it was my family and a grandfather/granddaughter.

Can't keep doing that.
    I’ve got a lot of friends with OCB (operation combat bike saver) it’s a smaller organization of vets helping vets thing, originated here in cp and has taken off throughout the country. I’m willing to bet with a quick call they’d be out there in droves. Unless you need help sooner than next Memorial Day I can try to find a time to get you and Jason (ceo) in the same room and we can see if we can get you some help

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I’ve got a lot of friends with OCB (operation combat bike saver) it’s a smaller organization of vets helping vets thing, originated here in cp and has taken off throughout the country. I’m willing to bet with a quick call they’d be out there in droves. Unless you need help sooner than next Memorial Day I can try to find a time to get you and Jason (ceo) in the same room and we can see if we can get you some help
    Next Memorial Day is great.
    Tuesday and Wednesday we pick up flags.
    But that's EASY.
    We go down the rows and pluck up the flags.
    Roll them in groups.
    Store in several totes.

I'll try to remember to say something next year, early enough for people to make plans.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Lies.

With inflation that food was more like $10.
    LOL, that is unfortunately true for most food.

Not sure if inflation hit the spaghetti sauce aisle yet, but I know I have 10 1-kilogram bags of coffee beans for which I paid about $13.50 each but the exact same coffee is now $20/bag. Freezer is packed with Chicken thighs that I got for $0.99/pound that is now 'on sale' for $1.69/pound and Ribeye steaks that I paid about $8/pound for are now running about $17+/pound for the same cut.

Totally sucks.

I've been warning family members to stock up on food but some don't listen, they just complain. Even SPAM is expensive in the age of Bidenflation. But our overloads love inflation . . . until elections roll around and people vote with their pocketbooks.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    New member from Lake County:

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    May have been our last Indy 500. Been going for over 30 years but the last two times it has just gotten so ridiculous. Last time waited over 2 hours to just get out of one of the paid parking lots. This time, with no announcement the Lafayette Street exit is closed. Over two hours to get to the 38 st. exit. We’re not in our seats for the flyover. They oversold our paid parking lot, though we got into a closer paid parking lot. Over 8 hours in the car for the 100 mile trip to and from the track. Ever since they made the Coke lot paid parking, traffic control has gone to sh_t. You are so frustrated by the time you get there, or home, there is no enjoyment.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    May have been our last Indy 500. Been going for over 30 years but the last two times it has just gotten so ridiculous. Last time waited over 2 hours to just get out of one of the paid parking lots. This time, with no announcement the Lafayette Street exit is closed. Over two hours to get to the 38 st. exit. We’re not in our seats for the flyover. They oversold our paid parking lot, though we got into a closer paid parking lot. Over 8 hours in the car for the 100 mile trip to and from the track. Ever since they made the Coke lot paid parking, traffic control has gone to sh_t. You are so frustrated by the time you get there, or home, there is no enjoyment.
    This is why I don't like going to major events. Too much hassle and time spent inching your way in and out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom