Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Today I got up at 4:45am to take a tramadol for pain.

Yesterday was the cause of the pain I have today. Left the house at 6:30am to drive to Notre Dame to pack up Dasha, move her into her friend's apartment for a 1 week stay, but then bring 90% of her stuff home. She was supposed to have gotten boxes and pre-packed. Had to be out of the dorm by NOON.

Get to campus a few minutes early only to find that:
    • she was in a panic after realizing how much stuff she had to do
    • terminal procrastinator this kid is
    • she had flat boxes but no packing tape
    • so without tape, she just left the boxes unassembled (flat)

Fortunately yesterday was "late move out day" so there were literally a half dozen girls moving out of the entire dorm and we didn't have to fight for the elevator, didn't have to fight for rolling laundry bins to help us move boxes, etc.

Being an ex-warehousing and shipping guy, I stopped into action, told her i needed ALL the big stuff. The biggest being a futon on an adjustable frame. Of course there was a pile of stuff between that futon and the door. I grabbed one of the big rolling bins, put some smaller things that she had pre-packed and headed down to the parking lot with what I could move ... but leaving her with instructions on clearing a path so we could get that futon out of the room.

I'm sure most parents of college kids have experience some similar catastrophe :wallbash:

As with all these stories, it all works out. But damn I am sore. Rheumatoid Arthritis sucks. Killed the pain with some bourbon before bedtime and slept well until about 4am.

I'm smiling in the photo because I had NOT yet realized that I would be unloading the truck at home, alone.

View attachment 200798
    View attachment 200799

No one to help unload... that sucks

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Today I got up at 4:45am to take a tramadol for pain.

Yesterday was the cause of the pain I have today. Left the house at 6:30am to drive to Notre Dame to pack up Dasha, move her into her friend's apartment for a 1 week stay, but then bring 90% of her stuff home. She was supposed to have gotten boxes and pre-packed. Had to be out of the dorm by NOON.

Get to campus a few minutes early only to find that:
    • she was in a panic after realizing how much stuff she had to do
    • terminal procrastinator this kid is
    • she had flat boxes but no packing tape
    • so without tape, she just left the boxes unassembled (flat)

Fortunately yesterday was "late move out day" so there were literally a half dozen girls moving out of the entire dorm and we didn't have to fight for the elevator, didn't have to fight for rolling laundry bins to help us move boxes, etc.

Being an ex-warehousing and shipping guy, I stopped into action, told her i needed ALL the big stuff. The biggest being a futon on an adjustable frame. Of course there was a pile of stuff between that futon and the door. I grabbed one of the big rolling bins, put some smaller things that she had pre-packed and headed down to the parking lot with what I could move ... but leaving her with instructions on clearing a path so we could get that futon out of the room.

I'm sure most parents of college kids have experience some similar catastrophe :wallbash:

As with all these stories, it all works out. But damn I am sore. Rheumatoid Arthritis sucks. Killed the pain with some bourbon before bedtime and slept well until about 4am.

I'm smiling in the photo because I had NOT yet realized that I would be unloading the truck at home, alone.

View attachment 200798
    View attachment 200799
    If you would have ordered a Ukraine bride instead of Russian she would of helped.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Jedi can not confirm nor deny that jedi had a "new to jedi" vehicle now.

Jedi fears ya will send a pack of raccons to steal it. So best to not confirm nor deny anything.

Jedi will say the events of the original vehicle being stolen helped jedi "see the light" so to speak and get out of jedi's comfort zone and begin to prep to explore the option of leaving chiraqi after 16 years of being here.
    I’m also looking to leave employment in Chiraq!

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Good day to all you guys and gals and others ....

Anybody have experience with portable room AC units? My son, DIL and grandson are renting an old two story, non-AC house while looking for a house in Wisconsin. Bedrooms upstairs getting too hot to sleep. They don't want to invest in expensive window units because they hope to find a suitable place to buy this summer.

I've seen small portable plug-in units. Are they any good? Any thoughts appreciated.

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    I’ve already had a car stolen, in Highland in 2000!!
    It was a 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. I loved that car and I miss it!

My first car was a used '73 Cutlass Supreme, bought in '76. Never could save a dime after I bought that car. Wheels & Tires, engine upgrades, 8-track radio and loud speakers, Jimi Hendrix 8-track tapes, paint job, etc... It was hard to save money on $2.50 per hour pumping gas.

Wish I had some pics of the old girl - had her looking pretty sweet at one time. She'd chirp the tires going into 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd, after you got the V8 wound up.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Good day to all you guys and gals and others ....

Anybody have experience with portable room AC units? My son, DIL and grandson are renting an old two story, non-AC house while looking for a house in Wisconsin. Bedrooms upstairs getting too hot to sleep. They don't want to invest in expensive window units because they hope to find a suitable place to buy this summer.

I've seen small portable plug-in units. Are they any good? Any thoughts appreciated.

I have one, forget the brand (GE maybe) and they use really big ones at work for spot cooling in non enclosed spaces. They work great but holy crap do they pull water out of the air. Some of them have a bucket that slides inside but mine has a hole where you can connect tubing to drain out.

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    I have one, forget the brand (GE maybe) and they use really big ones at work for spot cooling in non enclosed spaces. They work great but holy crap do they pull water out of the air. Some of them have a bucket that slides inside but mine has a hole where you can connect tubing to drain out.

Thanks very much. Where do I look for things like this? Home Depot or Menards maybe?

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Yes. Or Best Buy might have them too. Fair warning though, they're gonna cost about twice what a window unit will cost for comparable BTU rating.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Those portable A/Cs, you'll be draining the bucket all the time.
    Also, generally if you are looking at the same cooling ability, the window unit is cheaper.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom