NWI INGO General Post - Part 21 - We can offically drink da moonshine!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    Maple Sugar Time Festival is on the docket today at Chellberg with the kid. Always important to know where your food comes from.
    Definitely good to know. We do our own syrup, before we did our own, I was surprised to find out how many maple syrups out there have no maple syrup in them. It's ridiculous... Mrs. Buttersworth - none, aunt Jemima's - not a drop, log cabin - zero. Put a hole in a tree and water/maple syrup mixture comes out. Boil off water, done.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    Oddly enough this year I got 1500ish back from Indiana but I had to put that all plus some to pay federal because I owed 1700ish
    Not bad, about a wash. I'm hoping to do that well, never came close to that in state. Haven't done anything yet, but was expecting to get about 1000 in fed and 0 in state, but I don't know with the $500 checks they have been depositing in my account throughout the year???

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    Making my short stubby fingers do unnatural things. Trying to master the F chord.
    If you are trying to master bar chords, just work on them higher up the neck and build the hand muscles to get to F. Or you can attempt the C chord shape for playing the F chord (easier for starting out).

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    If you are trying to master bar chords, just work on them higher up the neck and build the hand muscles to get to F. Or you can attempt the C chord shape for playing the F chord (easier for starting out).
    Not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Put a hole in a tree and water/maple syrup mixture comes out. Boil off water, done.
    Lol, you make it sound so easy. My brother does maple syrup every year. Not complicated, but when you go for several gallons like he does, it's a lot of work. Still fun, though, and definitely worth it. I'm not a food snob, and I'll eat fake stuff most of the time, but the fake syrup from the store is just so awful by comparison to the real thing!

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    Not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate?
    Think of it the same way as the C chord shape. When doing this you can bar the highest two strings with your first finger and mute the low E with some meat of your pinky or wrap around with your thumb. (But with smaller fingers/hands I would attempt to just mute the two E strings)

Attachments

• F_Chord_no_bar-4_finger_w-color.png
      F_Chord_no_bar-4_finger_w-color.png
      25.8 KB · Views: 3

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    Lol, you make it sound so easy. My brother does maple syrup every year. Not complicated, but when you go for several gallons like he does, it's a lot of work. Still fun, though, and definitely worth it. I'm not a food snob, and I'll eat fake stuff most of the time, but the fake syrup from the store is just so awful by comparison to the real thing!
    For sure there is work. I split firewood into kindling size for quick heat. Try to keep the heat right. But its my kinda work though, sitting outside with coffee or beer and feeding a fire while dumping gallons upon gallons when it boils lower. It is definitely an all day process. I bring it into the house for the last 30-60 mins. That's the only stressful part of going to long or not. We have a meter, but hitting that stopping point is a fine line. Doing another batch tomorrow I think. It'll be the last one this year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220314-100558~2.png
      Screenshot_20220314-100558~2.png
      2.3 MB · Views: 4
    • IMG_20220307_092352580~2.jpg
      IMG_20220307_092352580~2.jpg
      459 KB · Views: 4
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    For sure there is work. I split firewood into kindling size for quick heat. Try to keep the heat right. But its my kinda work though, sitting outside with coffee or beer and feeding a fire while dumping gallons upon gallons when it boils lower. It is definitely an all day process. I bring it into the house for the last 30-60 mins. That's the only stressful part of going to long or not. We have a meter, but hitting that stopping point is a fine line. Doing another batch tomorrow I think. It'll be the last one this year.
    Yeah, the boiling is definitely the fun part, collecting the sap is the work-intensive part (though at least that's not an all day thing.) I'll see if I can get some photos of my brother's set up to send you, it looks pretty similar to yours, but he has one big pan (about 6'x2.5' or so.) Usually we start as early in the morning as practical, and then take shifts watching the fire and adding sap. We'll also finish the last bit of boiling inside on the stove, too; makes it way easier not to burn anything by accident.

Hopefully it'll be good weather for you tomorrow, have fun out there! ;)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    OK grab some :coffee: I will try to not make this post long as the OFFICIAL EVENT THREAD will be. However I do not want that post to be spammed with questions on the new registration process and why we have to do it.

Short Summary
    - New Indiana DNR registration system for volunteers called Community Event Registration & Volunteer Information System (CERVIS)
    - Background checks for all in CERVIS (valid for 3 years)
    - Complete the Volunteer Service Agreement form (similar like in years past)

Who Must do CERVIS
    All non-Indiana DNR employees who volunteer for any DNR event.
    In our case all of us (instructors, range officer, cooks, photographers, history storytellers, ammo runners, etc.) There is NO cost for the volunteer. You create a free profile at the DNR website.

Our under 18 volunteers will go thru a limited background check but must still create a profile. *cough* Booger Butt Abey and DevilSon of Jedi *cough* are the two that come to mind.

Why?
    CERVIS allows DNR to track the number of volunteer hours provided by the community to get federal grant money to continue to improve facilities and do more events related to outdoor activities.

For the past 5 years DNR Winamac has been trying to get a short "pistol" range at Winamac and each time it was sent to DNR Indy it was rejected until this year! The Winamac short pistol range was accepted for review and matching federal grant money! Thus why the CERVIS registration for tracking "hours" is so much more important this year than in years past where it was done manually. The new range won't be built this year as its normally a 24 month process from review to completed construction.

However we have finally passed the hardest part. Getting into the review docket and that was only possible after the years of man hours we have shown that our event continues to grow and a dedicated area for pistol shooting is needed.

---
    Now I'm sure CTC will complain that he has to register and go thru the background check to teach the kids. :p

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    @d.kaufman

Are you going to handle the T-Shirts again?
    Yes. I will handle that. I know I have some donations from 2 years ago. Will go thru my notes and see what I already have and try and get some early estimates on what we will need as I'm sure prices have gone up as well

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    OK grab some :coffee: I will try to not make this post long as the OFFICIAL EVENT THREAD will be. However I do not want that post to be spammed with questions on the new registration process and why we have to do it.

Short Summary
    - New Indiana DNR registration system for volunteers called Community Event Registration & Volunteer Information System (CERVIS)
    - Background checks for all in CERVIS (valid for 3 years)
    - Complete the Volunteer Service Agreement form (similar like in years past)

Who Must do CERVIS
    All non-Indiana DNR employees who volunteer for any DNR event.
    In our case all of us (instructors, range officer, cooks, photographers, history storytellers, ammo runners, etc.) There is NO cost for the volunteer. You create a free profile at the DNR website.

Our under 18 volunteers will go thru a limited background check but must still create a profile. *cough* Booger Butt Abey and DevilSon of Jedi *cough* are the two that come to mind.

Why?
    CERVIS allows DNR to track the number of volunteer hours provided by the community to get federal grant money to continue to improve facilities and do more events related to outdoor activities.

For the past 5 years DNR Winamac has been trying to get a short "pistol" range at Winamac and each time it was sent to DNR Indy it was rejected until this year! The Winamac short pistol range was accepted for review and matching federal grant money! Thus why the CERVIS registration for tracking "hours" is so much more important this year than in years past where it was done manually. The new range won't be built this year as its normally a 24 month process from review to completed construction.

However we have finally passed the hardest part. Getting into the review docket and that was only possible after the years of man hours we have shown that our event continues to grow and a dedicated area for pistol shooting is needed.

---
    Now I'm sure CTC will complain that he has to register and go thru the background check to teach the kids. :p
    No. I'm going to complain about it.
    They can easily keep track of the hours, with the rangers at the park.
    No one is going to be alone with the kids, so a background check?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom