NWI INGO General Post Part 19 - LegOs, Glocks and iPhones!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Jokes aside, it's really not that simple. A few weeks back WBEZ had a good piece on how Police foot chases are not terribly effective, often result in harm to one or more parties, and officers rarely receive training on how to best handle foot chases ("1 to 3 percent"). Chicago implementing a foot chase policy for CPD comes in response to the complete and utter absence of one previously.

From this Chicago Tribune article:

That same article then goes on to discuss how Las Vegas implemented a foot pursuit policy and found "officers’ use of force dropped 23%, and officer injuries dropped 11%" after its implementation.
    You don't see where this will lead to more people running from the police?

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    You don't see where this will lead to more people running from the police?
    People are going to run, it doesn't matter if there's a foot pursuit policy in place or not. That's like saying implementing the death penalty will deter violent crimes. What the foot pursuit policy does, on the contrary, is ensure that the police and bystanders remain safe(r) due to process, procedure, and training. Which I am all for.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    People are going to run, it doesn't matter if there's a foot pursuit policy in place or not. That's like saying implementing the death penalty will deter violent crimes. What the foot pursuit policy does, on the contrary, is ensure that the police and bystanders remain safe(r) due to process, procedure, and training. Which I am all for.
    No, that is not the same. Penalties for crimes really only stop the more law abiding people from possibly committing crimes. Most criminals do not consider the possible penalty they might suffer.

When the news broadcasts that the police won't chase you if you run, especially for certain crimes, more people are going to run.

No policy ensures anyone is safe. If the policy is that some criminal is not pursued, and that criminal then carjacks and kills someone, was that victim safer?

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart
    No, that is not the same. Penalties for crimes really only stop the more law abiding people from possibly committing crimes. Most criminals do not consider the possible penalty they might suffer.

When the news broadcasts that the police won't chase you if you run, especially for certain crimes, more people are going to run.

No policy ensures anyone is safe. If the policy is that some criminal is not pursued, and that criminal then carjacks and kills someone, was that victim safer?
    Stop with the logic.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Letting people get away with a crime, ensures more crime.

Not a theory.
    Yup. But it is a theory. One that had been proven true all around the world

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    American Water Works Service Company, Inc.
    STARTS 5/27/2021, 6:11 AM
    Emergency Repairs / Merrillville IN

Hello! This is an urgent notification from Indiana American Water. Our crews are making emergency repairs due to main break beginning at 6:00 AM, Thursday May 27, 2021 in Merrillville. You reside in the affected area and may experience a service interruption or low water pressure. Repairs are expected to take approximately 8 hours to complete. At this time you are under a Boil Water Advisory for 24 hours. Any water to be used for drinking or cooking should be brought to a rolling boil for 3 minutes. Water is OK for bathing, washing, and other common uses. You will be notified when the boil order has been lifted. If you are a landlord and water service is in your name, please inform your tenants so they are aware of this impact to their water service. In keeping with American Water’s focus on safety for both customers and employees, please do not approach our crews while they work. For more information or to see a map of the affected area please go to Indianaamwater.com or call 1.800.492.8373. Once again, for more information please go to Indianaamwater.com or call 1.800.492.8373. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to resolve the issue.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    HALP. Does anyone know of a wildlife rescue in the area? This bird seems to be injured and won't leave my yard.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The only one I know is East of Valpo
    Thanks. I called Humane Indiana Wildlife rescue and they asked me to send pics. I have come to the conclusion (with a bit of help) that it is a fledgling crow. I think I see Mama crow hanging around, so he will probably get fed. I saw him trying to jump and fly a few times. Hopefully it will happen soon.

Current situation.

1622146306712.png

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom