NWI INGO General Post Part 18 - Legal now!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Hope everyone is doing well. Ended up going home early yesterday, sinuses were so bad made me nauseous. Hoping today gets better, so far so good.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Yeah, their "bourbon" is fine but mediocre.

Their rye though is 100 times better than it has any right to be and is probably the best value in brown liquor I've had since Taylor was 40 bucks a bottle.

Gary/Miller has a nice patio right now too.
    *Gary/Miller 18th St. Tap room.

Sorta funny actually -- we lived between 19th and 18th in Chicago before we moved here, about 10 blocks from where 18th. St distillery/brewery was set to open. Chicago effed up and made the regs and licensing too onerous so they came here. They had all their logos and what done already so they kept them. That's why they have the dia de Los muertos branding and stuff -- were supposed to open in Pilsen in Chicago lol.

So glad we moved here.

18th Street Distillery in Hammond. Their bourbon is pretty good. It's not the best I've ever had, but they are local so that counts for extra points with me.

Last edited:

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Absolute hell here, but we're real near the lake so that probably contributes. Mosquito situation is my least favorite thing about NWI so far -- sorta reminds me of backpacking in spring in southern Canada...

Thermacell + essential oil spray _helps_ but we still get driven inside more often than not right at dusk.

Hey all. How are the mosquitoes where you're at? I was outside playing w the dogs as the sun was going down and the bats were coming out and I got eaten alive for really the first time this year. I think I need more bats...many, many more

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    Hey all. How are the mosquitoes where you're at? I was outside playing w the dogs as the sun was going down and the bats were coming out and I got eaten alive for really the first time this year. I think I need more bats...many, many more
    I got eaten pretty bad yesterday too, I'm going to pick up some Cutter Bug Free Backyard, that stuff has worked pretty well for me in the past

Are there any good distilleries in NWI? Looking for a good localish bourbon.
    Bourbon...made in Indiana? Does not compute

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    There are plants that you can plant that repel mosquitoes. I have lemonbalm planted all around our deck, and I haven't been bothered by mosquitoes all season; in fact, I barely ever see a mosquito.

portercounty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Porter County
    There are plants that you can plant that repel mosquitoes. I have lemonbalm planted all around our deck, and I haven't been bothered by mosquitoes all season; in fact, I barely ever see a mosquito.

I'm going to look into that. I just put up a new cedar fence in the backyard, almost 200 linear feet, and I have been debating the landscaping scenario around it. Lemonbalm may have just hopped on the list.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    We have a big citronella plant on the deck, seems to keep the mosquitoes away from there, but the spiders are still hanging around. Hopefully they will vacate soon since their main food is gone.

The rest of the yard is still mosquito central though lol

Dulla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    NWI
    18th Street Distillery in Hammond. Their bourbon is pretty good. It's not the best I've ever had, but they are local so that counts for extra points with me.

Yeah, their "bourbon" is fine but mediocre.

Their rye though is 100 times better than it has any right to be and is probably the best value in brown liquor I've had since Taylor was 40 bucks a bottle.

Gary/Miller has a nice patio right now too.
    *Gary/Miller 18th St. Tap room.

Sorta funny actually -- we lived between 19th and 18th in Chicago before we moved here, about 10 blocks from where 18th. St distillery/brewery was set to open. Chicago effed up and made the regs and licensing too onerous so they came here. They had all their logos and what done already so they kept them. That's why they have the dia de Los muertos branding and stuff -- were supposed to open in Pilsen in Chicago lol.

So glad we moved here.

Guess I'll have to try both...I'm 100% ok with that.

Bourbon...made in Indiana? Does not compute

Everyone makes whiskey these days. Finding the gems is the tough part.

If Three Floyd's decided to open back up I'm definitely going to make the trip there too to try some of there whiskey. It's supposed to be pretty good.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm going to look into that. I just put up a new cedar fence in the backyard, almost 200 linear feet, and I have been debating the landscaping scenario around it. Lemonbalm may have just hopped on the list.
    It spreads pretty quickly, so you don't need to plant it too close together.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Where in Gary?

It is great to see many new members in here, participating. We may give Indy a run for their money.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Wife is ticked off at the school. Her and my youngest spent 2 hours there trying to get her chromebook but they cant find it.

portercounty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Porter County
    So last week or so I asked folks here about the Griffith Izaak Walton. I have never been there or even mentioned it anywhere else. Yesterday out of left field my father-in-law says, "I think I'm gonna join the Griffith Izaak Walton." Super weird timing...

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    Everyone makes whiskey these days. Finding the gems is the tough part.

If Three Floyd's decided to open back up I'm definitely going to make the trip there too to try some of there whiskey. It's supposed to be pretty good.
    Not all whiskey is bourbon. I'm a firm believe that "real" bourbon can only be made in Kentucky (yes, I realize the legal definition of bourbon allows it to be made anywhere in the US, but to me its still not "real" bourbon :P )

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom