:)

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    What is Irish candy?
    It's called yellowman (I have no idea why, but the stuff you can buy commercially is dyed bright yellow). You bring corn syrup, sugar, molasses, butter, and a little vinegar to hard crack stage and add baking soda and you get a very crunchy candy that has some air bubbles almost like a honeycomb

Traditionally made
    0333.jpg

More commercially made
    img_1252.jpg

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Interesting. Same basic recipe as you might use for peanut brittle, except for the vinegar. Molasses is generally not used in brittle either.

Can you taste the vinegar? Or does it just help with the reaction of the soda?

It's called yellowman (I have no idea why, but the stuff you can buy commercially is dyed bright yellow). You bring corn syrup, sugar, molasses, butter, and a little vinegar to hard crack stage and add baking soda and you get a very crunchy candy that has some air bubbles almost like a honeycomb

Traditionally made
    0333.jpg

More commercially made
    img_1252.jpg

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

Traditionally made
    0333.jpg

More commercially made
    img_1252.jpg

Long ago before my grandma Kelley passed, we had the real deal every year. Man it's been a looooong time.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    If you want the recipe I use it's pretty easy.
    1/2 cup butter
    2 tbsp vinegar
    8oz molasses
    8oz corn syrup
    2 cups demerara sugar (I've had trouble finding this so I use brown sugar)
    1/2 tsp baking soda

Grease a baking tin and set to the side for when the mix is ready. In a pan melt the butter on a low heat and add the rest of the ingredients except for the baking soda. Mix well until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil. Boil the liquid steadily until it reached 304F (hard crack stage). When it reaches this temperature remove from the heat and add the baking soda. This will react with the vinegar and cause it to foam up and aerate the mixture. Stir in the baking soda and when it foams up mix again (it should turn a little paler). Pour the mix into the baking tin, allow to cool, and then break into pieces.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I always figure people lived through a lot worse with less than todays technology.
    People sued a lot less in the past, too. Now, they're looking to blame the school when their kid wrecks and gets hurt or ends up with frostbite because he wore shorts and didn't have cold weather gear in the car.
    Asheville meant I only had 4 hours to go when coming back home from da region when I lived in Lumberton. That was about as far as I wanted to go in one day, 900 miles or so.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    If you want the recipe I use it's pretty easy.
    1/2 cup butter
    2 tbsp vinegar
    8oz molasses
    8oz corn syrup
    2 cups demerara sugar (I've had trouble finding this so I use brown sugar)
    1/2 tsp baking soda

Grease a baking tin and set to the side for when the mix is ready. In a pan melt the butter on a low heat and add the rest of the ingredients except for the baking soda. Mix well until the sugar has dissolved, then bring to the boil. Boil the liquid steadily until it reached 304F (hard crack stage). When it reaches this temperature remove from the heat and add the baking soda. This will react with the vinegar and cause it to foam up and aerate the mixture. Stir in the baking soda and when it foams up mix again (it should turn a little paler). Pour the mix into the baking tin, allow to cool, and then break into pieces.

:yesway: It was usually on the counter every time you walked passed...which was frequent...which in turn ruined dinner...

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    People sued a lot less in the past, too. Now, they're looking to blame the school when their kid wrecks and gets hurt or ends up with frostbite because he wore shorts and didn't have cold weather gear in the car.

Asheville meant I only had 4 hours to go when coming back home from da region when I lived in Lumberton. That was about as far as I wanted to go in one day, 900 miles or so.

NC is a long drive across. I don't know how much further than today I would want to go. It was rough. Lots of cars crashed up due to hydroplaning. The cold was no problem.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Oakriver, I do believe that stuff would get real old around me... Way too much carbs to actually eat...

Ericwp, I think you went the wrong direction... It's freaking cold up here...

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Interesting. Same basic recipe as you might use for peanut brittle, except for the vinegar. Molasses is generally not used in brittle either.

Can you taste the vinegar? Or does it just help with the reaction of the soda?
    I haven't been able to taste it, it just helps with the baking soda reaction

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Oakriver, I do believe that stuff would get real old around me... Way too much carbs to actually eat...

Ericwp, I think you went the wrong direction... It's freaking cold up here...
    I'm making it to put in Christmas presents. My wife made candles and soaps, I made candy

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hey, we might have passed each other on Rt10 earlier. I was visiting relatives down there (Rt10/I65 area).

I told the wife I was tempted to test my ECWS sleeping bag tonight. She looked at me like I was nuts. I stepped outside for a second and thought I was nuts.

I've camped in worse.
    Course, I was a bit younger.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I told the wife I was tempted to test my ECWS sleeping bag tonight. She looked at me like I was nuts. I stepped outside for a second and thought I was nuts.

I've camped in worse.
    Course, I was a bit younger.
    It wasn't below zero but it did get down to 13 at the dunes that night. Was the best camping trip ever with my son. Are gear or lack of gear did great :)

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Portage Police posted this and people are losing their minds:

"Public Safety Announcement: The Porter County Commissioners have declared a State of a Emergency. Emergency travel ONLY!

Chief Troy Williams"

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    It's negative outside, like double digits negative. I'm not a big fan of that. Even less so since I left my good winter gloves at work on Friday.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom