Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    We had a saber fencing accident yesterday at Purdue's practice. Boy on the right's swung to hit the boy on the left. 6" piece of the tip of his blade broke off on the left kid's mask. Sharp edge hit the kid on the left in the left hand. Cut 2 of his fingers. Lots of blood.

Seemed lie a major injury, blood all over the floor, on the electric scoring equipment, etc. Seemed excessive for an injury that was mended with a couple of Snoopy & Woodstock band-aids.

Well, this one wasn't that bad.

At first, I just left it and was trying to finish what I was doing, and then I looked down and said, WOW, I better put something on that.

I've seen, and experienced some 'bleeders' before. Especially head injuries, they REALLY look bad.
    And a shipmate on the sub nicked his femoral with a box cutter. Fortunately, the blade was so sharp, that direct pressure sealed the wound up till we could get someone. Doc (corpsman) was on vacation, so we had to run to the submarine tender (fortunately we were in port). But when he took his hand off the wound, it literally squirted like a Monty Python script.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Trying to fill Rhino's spot around here?
    I hope not.

That whole thing about 'don't direct the knife towards yourself' still holds up.
    I was cutting wire ties holding Christmas lights to a metal band.
    I was slipping the knife between the tie and the metal, and just angling the knife to cause the tie to break.
    But this one the tie was tighter, and I had to push to get the knife in. Pushing the knife cut the tie, I wasn't ready yet. Knife kept going forward, embedding it in where the thumb and 'pointer' finger join the hand (half way to wrist).

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Are we supposed to get bread, eggs and milk for tornadoes too
    yes.

It's like 'immediate actions' we had on the sub. These were for fire, flooding, general alarm, etc.
    ALL of them had.. SHUT THE HATCHES. No matter what, shut the hatch.

Well, this is kinda the same.
    Earthquake, snow storm, tornado... get the bread, eggs, milk.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Stupid laptop won't boot - I hate when that happens. Gonna trash it and buy another used one.
    Just ran into a problem with my ancient laptop not booting up.
    It just had a few older games on it that I liked.
    It wouldn't go on the internet, but that's okay, my newer laptop would, desktop would, phone would.
    But, I used it to access the cash register at the Legion.

So, last time I had to change a couple of the cash register keys, and ALL of the prices, I had to go through the process of using the keys on the register. What a pain.

I can't remember why I haven't put the software on my newer laptop. i think I tried, and had problems.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Just ran into a problem with my ancient laptop not booting up.
    It just had a few older games on it that I liked.
    It wouldn't go on the internet, but that's okay, my newer laptop would, desktop would, phone would.
    But, I used it to access the cash register at the Legion.

So, last time I had to change a couple of the cash register keys, and ALL of the prices, I had to go through the process of using the keys on the register. What a pain.

I can't remember why I haven't put the software on my newer laptop. i think I tried, and had problems.
    My aging laptop was running pretty hot a while ago. I don't really like laptops and only use it at the cabin. The only time I really need to use one is during hockey playoffs at the cabin. I do the scoring and stats on a database I wrote for our hockey pool. I was just checking it out and it wouldn't boot at all.
    I can get a used replacement for a couple hundred or so, it doesn't need to be much of a machine. Just really irritating.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My aging laptop was running pretty hot a while ago. I don't really like laptops and only use it at the cabin. The only time I really need to use one is during hockey playoffs at the cabin. I do the scoring and stats on a database I wrote for our hockey pool. I was just checking it out and it wouldn't boot at all.
    I can get a used replacement for a couple hundred or so, it doesn't need to be much of a machine. Just really irritating.
    Sometimes, if it's running hot, a fan needs to be changed.
    I don't know about laptops, or fans in them, but I've changed them in my desktop.
    Pretty sure I prevented a meltdown there.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Sometimes, if it's running hot, a fan needs to be changed.
    I don't know about laptops, or fans in them, but I've changed them in my desktop.
    Pretty sure I prevented a meltdown there.
    Yes. I've even seen where you can re-solder the CPU with a heat gun and some tinfoil, however I am not going there. I am going to dig deep enough to get the hard drive out and that is it.
    I only need one that has one leg left to stand on - it only has to run an Access2003 database and it's good.

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    Yes. I've even seen where you can re-solder the CPU with a heat gun and some tinfoil, however I am not going there. I am going to dig deep enough to get the hard drive out and that is it.
    I only need one that has one leg left to stand on - it only has to run an Access2003 database and it's good.
    Take some compressed air to the openings. Might be able to blow enough dust out of it to help with the over heating issue.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom