• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Anyone got any pointers for someone wanting to try shooting a nrl22 match? seems like it might be a little intimidating for an average shooter who is a plinker and weekend hunter.

cakelly1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Columbus
    From the matches I have watched , the guns are more than 10/22s. You are shooting 1/4 pieces of steel at different distances. It takes a precise rifle, usually bolt type and knowing your dope at distances out to 200 ..

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    I tried one a year or so ago. You really need to have a scope with target turrets and/or mils to handle the various distances. Using just hold over/under I was only able to get about half of the shots off within the time limit. The targets are pretty small—smaller than I would call “plinker” size—though I think my factory bolt-action could hit them, just barely.

You might also check out the long range .22 matches that Hawkeye runs at Riley. They don’t have the position changes and the targets are bigger, so they’re less demanding and more like a hunt.

812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    From the matches I have watched , the guns are more than 10/22s. You are shooting 1/4 pieces of steel at different distances. It takes a precise rifle, usually bolt type and knowing your dope at distances out to 200 ..
    Thanks for the info. I'm planning on using a tikka t1x 16 in barrel with a arken sh4 gen 2 6-24x50

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Targets are typically about 2moa. Yea there are 1/4" targets but they're usually only 20-35 yards. Sounds like you have a good starter setup for NRL22 already. If you have a bipod and a bag you'll be good to go (If not there's a good chance there'll be spares on site to borrow). I'd suggest stopping by a match some time to check it out or just jump in. Biggest thing is to know your drop. HHRP shoots the 100yd COF the 1st Saturday each month (This weekend!). We're very friendly and helpful to new shooters.

812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Yeah knowing drop is kinda my only hold up at the moment. Have two ammos that group around 1/2 in to 3/4 in groups at 50 yds but have not attempted 100 yd test and want to calculate dope correctly trying to do it all the right way

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Yeah knowing drop is kinda my only hold up at the moment. Have two ammos that group around 1/2 in to 3/4 in groups at 50 yds but have not attempted 100 yd test and want to calculate dope correctly trying to do it all the right way
    We get newbies at Riley every year. Not finding fault, but "calculate dope" is seldom a strategy.You have different brands, different velocities (even from rifle to rifle) bag placement, climate factors, etc, that have effect on point of aim vs point of impact. Prepare with trigger time at various distances, and mentally prepare that a condition has changed within the time frame of the match itself and adjust accordingly.

In other words, go shoot and have fun as you gain experience!

812 rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    We get newbies at Riley every year. Not finding fault, but "calculate dope" is seldom a strategy.You have different brands, different velocities (even from rifle to rifle) bag placement, climate factors, etc, that have effect on point of aim vs point of impact. Prepare with trigger time at various distances, and mentally prepare that a condition has changed within the time frame of the match itself and adjust accordingly.

In other words, go shoot and have fun as you gain experience!
    Ok thanks for the info just trying to not look like a total fool at a match it all seems quite intimidating especially from watching you tube videos and seeing the positions you shoot from and how important accuracy is to be competitive.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Biggest thing is to know your drop. HHRP shoots the 100yd COF the 1st Saturday each month (This weekend!). We're very friendly and helpful to new shooters.

Always friendly helpful shooters at Hoosier Hills Rifle & Pistol club. Tell them you're new to NRL22 at check-in and they will take care of you.

I always used hold over/under for NRL22. No time to dial it in.

The course of fire is published online prior to the start of each month so you can see the distances for each stage.

Use a ballistics calculator to make a cheat sheet. The more accurate the info you enter, the better your results. They will get you very close and on paper to refine your data.
    you will learn your holds surprisingly quickly.

Ten round mags will be beneficial vs five rounds to save a mag change.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Ok thanks for the info just trying to not look like a total fool at a match it all seems quite intimidating especially from watching you tube videos and seeing the positions you shoot from and how important accuracy is to be competitive.
    I've never seen a YouTube vid of a newbie struggling to hit targets. Experienced shooters make it look easy. Have fun, try different events.

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    This is helpful information, just bought a home just west of Story Indiana and was curious if there was an active gun range and what shooting sports I can get involved in!

Top Bottom