Now they're trying to make us all Vegans!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Meh....charcoal is the only way to go. Didn't listen to article. Probably already banned charcoal there
    This! All of this. Charcoal is where the flavor is.

I've cooked on a nice gas grill for years. Does a great job, but had forgotten how much better stuff grilled over charcoal is. My old charcoal grill was decaying pretty badly and needed to be cleaned up. I did that a couple of weekends ago and have been cooking over charcoal exclusively the last couple of weeks and :wow: what a difference!

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I've cooked on a nice gas grill for years. Does a great job, but had forgotten how much better stuff grilled over charcoal is. My old charcoal grill was decaying pretty badly and needed to be cleaned up. I did that a couple of weekends ago and have been cooking over charcoal exclusively the last couple of weeks and :wow: what a difference!
    Gas just doesn’t have the same Smokey flavor. I like to add a couple chunks of mesquite to my charcoal pile, it seems to really add something to the flavor. Even my BIL’s wood pellet smoker doesn’t have the flavor of my old fashioned charcoal drum. His is Bluetooth controlled and all that silliness, seems like cooking on the kitchen stove to me, I just want heat and flame.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Gas just doesn’t have the same Smokey flavor. I like to add a couple chunks of mesquite to my charcoal pile, it seems to really add something to the flavor. Even my BIL’s wood pellet smoker doesn’t have the flavor of my old fashioned charcoal drum. His is Bluetooth controlled and all that silliness, seems like cooking on the kitchen stove to me, I just want heat and flame.

I've been tossing in a small handful of hickory chips and a small handful of apple chips just before I put the meat on. Has worked fantastically for chicken, chops, steak and hamburgers so far. I did, however, find out you can do too much smoke when I grilled chicken last night. I used about double the wood chips I had been using and it was too much. Had a bit of a "licking an ashtray" aftertaste. I think I'll stick to just the two small handfuls from now on. With that amount the food comes out amazing. A hint of smoke with the already delicious taste of the meats.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Soooo, let me see if I have this right:

1. Climate change is bad - look for alternative fuels from coal and petroleum.

2. Develop natural gas and battery-powered vehicles which are supposedly cleaner for the planet, albeit exponentially more expensive, less reliable, and have a much shorter service lives leading to MORE waste.

3. Outlaw gas stoves and require people to go on already overburdened and barely functioning electrical power grids that are - wait for it - majority coal-powered.

Yeah, seems to make total sense.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've been tossing in a small handful of hickory chips and a small handful of apple chips just before I put the meat on. Has worked fantastically for chicken, chops, steak and hamburgers so far. I did, however, find out you can do too much smoke when I grilled chicken last night. I used about double the wood chips I had been using and it was too much. Had a bit of a "licking an ashtray" aftertaste. I think I'll stick to just the two small handfuls from now on. With that amount the food comes out amazing. A hint of smoke with the already delicious taste of the meats.
    Yardbirds and fish are easy to go overboard on. I stick to fruitwood and alder (when I can get it) for those. I do like some hickory on a pig though.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I like to use the chunks, usually I throw in 2-3 pieces for cooking, when I’m smoking I will use a lot more over a small bed of charcoal, seems to work well, I’ve done a turkey for thanksgiving the past three years, I used applewood the first year but switched back to the mesquite, the wife didn’t care for the flavor the applewood gave it.

Top Bottom