• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I got pulled over today for a seatbelt violation and had my firearm right beside me in plain view so I did show him my LTC . He didnt say a word about it but I did get the ticket witch SUCKS because I just pulled out of the gas station and was getting ready to put it on because I spaced it lol . SEATBELT LAWS ARE :bs:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I agree that seat belt laws suck. If I have insurance to pay for my injuries how is it the state's business. Same goes for helmet laws. I also think the government has no business in telling businesses they can't allow smoking... I don't smoke cigarettes and stopped going to the local Bob Evans several years ago because it was too smoky. But i don't have a right to lobby my government to restrict their private property rights. Sorry about that, but I feel better now.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    haldir-how did the cop find out if he wasn't armed? Is there more to the story we aren't hearing? In a routine traffic stop: A)you are cited B)warned or C)let go. How did it go from that to shoved over the hood?

In Ohio it comes up when they run your plate. The scary thing is it comes up in the same windows as wants and warrants.

The shoved over the hood comes from LEOs that do not like armed civilians. They decide to try to enforce the laws as they see fit. The Leo knew about the LTC from when he ran the plate. Even though Ohio law does not require you to inform when not armed, some LE think it's necessary, and they go as far as they think they can to prove their point.

I live in Ohio and teach the classes necessary to get a CHL. Even though it is very few LEO's that act like this I tell my students that it can happen. Another point I get across is when someone without a CHL is driving your vehicle, it is best to have them inform the LEO that they borrowed the car and are not armed.

You can find stories about this and involving open carry here
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums • Index page

PM66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Crumstown, IN
    I just don't get pulled over! I'm a lift truck road tech, so tickets don't look good when revue time comes around!
    I agree with the logic of saying nothing unless asked to get out of the car. If it's a routine traffic stop, they don't need to know.

Hobie8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Lake County
    I recently applied for a carry permit (lifetime) for the first time, and in my town, the police chief does a brief interview with you. During this interview I asked him how to handle a routine traffic stop,and he said I should IMMEDEATELY let the officer know I have a permit and am carrying....just thought I'd pass it along....I'm up in Lake County.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just don't get pulled over!

This is something we tend to forget when we get buried in the details and rhetoric.

If we don't do things that attract the attention of the police, then we can avoid situations where deciding whether to "inform" or not becomes necessary.

low_lead

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    I agree, your courtesy to inform the officer at the first of the traffic stop (or whatever) lets him know what he is dealing with.

kludge its not really a matter of his "actual" safety, but more his "perceived" safety.

Let's assume that he is 100% safe, as I am NOT going to shoot or assault him.

While I am seated in my car and my pistol is on my side, he cannot see it, and therefore he does not perceive danger. However, if he were to ask me to step out of the vehicle, there is a chance that my weapon could become exposed, at which point his "danger" response goes thru the roof. Or worse, I say nothing and he pats me down, to find a weapon on my side. Not only is he not going to be happy, but he will now feel like I am hiding something from him, when that is not the case.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    This is something we tend to forget when we get buried in the details and rhetoric.

If we don't do things that attract the attention of the police, then we can avoid situations where deciding whether to "inform" or not becomes necessary.

Seems almost too logical doesn't it?

The one time I was pulled over I just thought for a moment, what would jesus do? I mean, if I were this cop walking up to a dark car by the side of the high way in the middle of the night, what would I want this guy in the car that I don't know and who has a gun, what would I want him to do?

Then I just did that.

When it was all over and I was back down the high way, I was happy and far as I know he was happy.

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I copied this from the ISP Firearms FAQ Document on their website

Does Indiana statute require me to carry the handgun on my person concealed or exposed?

Indiana law is silent on this issue; however, carrying an exposed weapon in public may alarm some people. Also, the right to carry a firearm may be restricted on private property and businesses by the owners. Be attentive for signs warning of restricted areas when carrying firearms into public places. If approached by law enforcement for official business such as traffic stops or complaint related inquiries, it is recommended that you tell the officer in a non-threatening manner that you are carrying a weapon or
    have a weapon in the vehicle and that you have a valid permit. A law enforcement officer does have the right to inspect the permit.

They "recommend" it. I would have to agree.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    On this issue as a firefighter I know many police officers and have asked them their opinion and they opinion is if you are pulled over when the officer walks up to your car:
    1.Keep both hands in full view at all times
    2.When you hand the officer your license -registration and proof of insurance place your permit on top so it is the first thing they look at
    3.When asked tell the officer exactly what you have and where it is located,again make sure to keep both hands in full view.
    Remember most of these guys are not the enemy they like us have a family they want to go home to when they clock out. They have to use extreme caution because there is a big increase in brain dead stupid idiots out there that are the ones that give the law abiding carriers a bad name! It has gotten to the point that real late at night in certain situations it would not surprise me to find a firefighter or two with something small concealed and I would not blame them!
    I think a little common sense here goes a long way!

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    On this issue as a firefighter I know many police officers and have asked them their opinion and they opinion is if you are pulled over when the officer walks up to your car:
    2.When you hand the officer your license -registration and proof of insurance place your permit on top so it is the first thing they look at
    3.When asked tell the officer exactly what you have and where it is located,again make sure to keep both hands in full view.
    Remember most of these guys are not the enemy they like us have a family they want to go home to when they clock out. They have to use extreme caution because there is a big increase in brain dead stupid idiots out there that are the ones that give the law abiding carriers a bad name! It has gotten to the point that real late at night in certain situations it would not surprise me to find a firefighter or two with something small concealed and I would not blame them!

No, most officers are not the enemy, they have a hard job and I respect them. That being said, it is my objective to also get home to my family safely. And I think it's common sense to adapt as the situation changes. If I think I'm gonna get asked to step out or if there are weapons in the car, the officer will get told I have a weapon on my person. Otherwise, I'm not gonna say diddly about it, none of his business and it's safest in it's holster.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    No, most officers are not the enemy, they have a hard job and I respect them. That being said, it is my objective to also get home to my family safely. And I think it's common sense to adapt as the situation changes. If I think I'm gonna get asked to step out or if there are weapons in the car, the officer will get told I have a weapon on my person. Otherwise, I'm not gonna say diddly about it, none of his business and it's safest in it's holster.

+1, couldn't have said it better myself.

And what about the one cop that will think your a criminal just because you have a gun. I am not going to help him harass me. I don't have to tell them and I won't unless 1) I am asked (even then I don't but its probably better to let them know than for them to think I lied to them) or 2) there is a chance he might see it (such as stepping out of the car).

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana

This is also what most my LEO friends said. I only been stopped once a long time back, I followed this advice and worked out to a nice short conversation about the 1911 and .45 cal. Only got a verbal warning. I would do the same again if stopped.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    If I get pulled over in the County where I live, the cops will already know I've got the permit because it will come up when they run me on the computer. Our Sheriff Department and Evansville PD pass on the information for all the folks who apply for a LTCH in Vanderburgh County. So for me, if I'm in Vanderburgh County, I'll have my LTCH out with my insurance card, driver's license and registration.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Just my 2 cents

Since I carry two spare mags on the left side if I lean over to get the registration there is the possibility that the officer may see them so I choose to tell them up front. Hasn't caused any extra time in the past but that isn't to say it won't on down the road. :):

Top Bottom