• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    I would fight this battle, because the "facts" being cited are a re-statement of Brady-darling Arthur Kellerman's bogus claim that, "guns in homes are 43 times more likely to be used against a household member, than a criminal intruder".

Here is are some of the reasons why Dr. Kellerman's doctored statistic is :bs: :

Correspondence -- NEJM 1994; 330: 365-368 -- February 3, 1994

"The fatal flaw in the effort by Kellermann et al. to evaluate the protective value of firearms is that they used only data on criminal homicide. As Kellermann and Reay have previously noted, (1) no study of homicide can evaluate the protective value of firearms, since only 0.1 percent of the over 2 million protective uses of firearms involve mortality, (2,3) and those uses were noncriminal. Kellermann and his colleagues should have realized they were using the wrong methods and data...

Kellermann et al. reveal little about homicide, since they limited their analysis to homicides that occurred in the home in three metropolitan counties (which, statistically speaking equals a sample size of 1! :xmad: )... With a few other exclusions, the crude odds ratios were based on 21 percent of the areas' homicides, and the adjusted odds ratios on just 17 percent. The result was an unrepresentative sample of homicides -- over 40 percent involved family members killing family members, although nationally such killings account for just over 10 percent of homicides (4). Their finding that most killings in and around homes involve people who know each other is as newsworthy as the finding that alcohol is involved in barroom slayings."

"The study by Kellermann et al. suffers from many flaws...The authors' interpretation of their results is an example of "data torturing" (1). Specifically, Kellermann and his colleagues are guilty of Procrustean data torturing, which is defined as "deciding on the hypothesis to be proved [in this case, owning a gun increases the risk of homicide] and making the data fit the hypothesis." Never mind that..., by the authors' own admission, 11...were killed by private citizens acting legally in self-defense. In other words, some instances of gun ownership prevented the owner or family members from becoming victims -- indeed, may have even saved their lives.

What the article failed to address is that gun ownership by responsible people is not a risk factor. In other words, it is not the gun (an inanimate object) that is the problem but its inappropriate use."

Probably the most damning remark, (and unanswered by Kellerman et al in their attempt to defend the indefensible) is from the graduate statistics class:

"On what basis can one generalize from a sample of people who have been murdered to a population of people who keep guns in their homes?"

The students of Dr. Mark Ferris's Mathematical Statistics 460
    Saint Louis University"

:owned:

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Thanks Biohazard for the addresses and thanks everyone for your responses.

Dailylc the brochure doesn't mention any of those things but it's "age appropriate" so maybe they're on the 2 and 3 year old ones, I don't know. I do see on the bottom of the back that it was copywritten in 1994.

Does anyone know anything about the politcal climate in 1994 as it pertained to gun ownership?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If i'm not mistaken the majority of the "homocides" in the Kellerman study were suicides... but it's been a while.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    If i'm not mistaken the majority of the "homocides" in the Kellerman study were suicides... but it's been a while.

You are CORRECT, Sir!! :yesway: :rockwoot:

36. Isn't a gun in the home 43 times more likely to kill a friend or loved-one than be used against an intruder?

"This study was performed over a 6 year period in one
    single county in the USA. As this study is was done in just one county,
    that makes its results useless for saying what happens anywhere else.
    Scientists and researchers call this "a sample size of one".

The comparison is meaningless because it is an apples vs oranges
    comparison. 37 of the 43 are suicides, 4.6 are classified as criminal
    homicides, and 1.3 were classified as accidents.[36]

Kellermann and Reay, the authors of the study have stated themselves
    that "cases in which burglars or intruders are wounded or frightened
    away by the use or display of a firearm [and] cases in which would-be
    intruders may have purposely avoided a house known to be armed.."[36]
    should be included as a benefit. BUT, when they calculated their
    comparison they did NOT include those cases. They therefore undercounted
    protection uses by at least 500 times.[37] If the purpose is to compare
    defensive uses verses misuse, all defensive uses should be counted, not
    just the 0.2% of time when a defensive use results in the death of an
    attacker. You measure defensive uses by lives saved, not criminals
    killed, after all, the purpose of self defense is to prevent or stop a
    criminal attack, not kill the attacker."

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    XL says that the pediatrician is affiliated with St Vincent. Here is their contact info:

St. Vincent Indianapolis Hospital
    Attention: CareLine
    2001 West 86th Street
    Indianapolis, Indiana 46260

e-mail contact
    Contact Us

What I wrote them:
    I object to the anti-gun political agenda that is being pushed by your pediatricians. According to research conducted by professor John Lott Jr (based on statistics gathered by law enforcement and CDC) your claims are erroneous. I will not be taking my children to any pediatrician that pursues your politics, showing a lack of ethics. I will also be changing all of my health care providers to ones not affiliated with your hospital. It is incumbent on you to disseminate valid information, not an emotional opinion.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I do not disagree with the above add, (at least the educational attempt) As medical professionals it is our job to treat and education the public and patients! However the paragraph should read completely different if they are trying to education parents on the inherent dangers of guns. The education should be on the (ir)responsibilitys and actions of the gun owners not the guns themselves. Guns alone are harmless, they need human intervention to make them "complete".

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Not a mention on swimming pools in their safety flyer. More children drown in swimming pools every year than you would think.

Swimming pools are so dangerous in fact, that 300 children under age 5 die and 2,000 more children under age five visit hospital emergency rooms for submersion injuries every year!!!

But it's those evil guns you shouldn't have in the home.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Come on now, you know it is different with guns! They were designed to kill! oy

I don't know about you, but for me something that ISN'T normally associated with killing, yet still kills hundreds or thousands (pools, autos, etc) should be more of a focus than guns. Most people are at least smart enough to realize that guns can be dangerous. It's when people don't realize something is potentially harmful that problems begin. People take driving, pools, etc for granted as safe, and don't pay attention as they should. THIS is when accidents start.

I would bet there are more injuries to children each year that are preceded with the words "Hey! Watch this!" than there are by guns.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    E-mail contact info in the links listed below.

American Academy of Pediatrics
    141 Northwest Point Blvd
    Elk Grove Village, 60007
    fax 847.228.6432
    COMMUNITY PEDIATRICS

It is in Illinois according to the zip code and Google. They seem to have a gun agenda. Use the search function for handgun or firearm.

American Medical Association
    515 N. State Street
    Chicago, IL 60654
    (800) 621-8335
    American Medical Association

Interesting that they are both located in Illinois. Some people believe in coincidence. Me, not so much.

Edited to add:
    My e-mail to the AAP
    "I object to your anti-gun political agenda.

For these 2 groups, it isn't really what you would call a political agenda inso far as they are pushing it because the politicians want it, but it is these groups that have the agenda, and they put pressure on politicans to pass laws to "Protect innocent children" from their parents. :baby:

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    Age does not matter when it comes to firearm safety with kids. My cousin was only 2-3 when he went into his dad's room, grabbed the pistol and magazine out of the bedstand, loaded/cocked the gun, and shot himself in the thigh with a hollowpoint. Luckily it didn't hit anything or have time to expand or he would have lost his leg. You can still see the indent in his leg from the bullethole though and he's 28 now.

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    "Political" as in based on or motivated by partisan, or self-serving objectives, not necessarily relating to governmental affairs. See also dictionary.com.

The word meaning can be debated ad nauseam, the meaning of the overall e-mail is relatively clear. A definition isn't what this thread is about.

:hijack:

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    One of my doctors nurses noticed my gun and ask the doctor about it, he told them that he felt safer being in the exam room with me and my gun then with some of his other paitents that don't have a gun.

:+1: for my Doc!

Top Bottom