• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    The wife took the kids to the pediatrician for their annual checkup and look what they gave her! A note about keeping kids safe. I have a huge problem with this practice because it's more about pushing a political agenda than really keeping them safe.

untitled-1.jpg

It says:

Children in homes where guns are present are in more danger of being shot by themselves their friends, or family members than of being injured by an intruder. It is best to keep guns out of the home. Handguns are especially dangerous. If you choose to keep a gun, keep it unloaded and in a locked place separate from the ammunition. Ask if the homes where your child visits or is cared for have guns and how they are stored.

There is just enough common sense in that paragraph to fool the uninformed, like my wife, into thinking that the whole statement is true, which it is not. I called to complain to the doctor that I didn't think it was right to camoflage a political ageda as a health concern. The receptionist brushed it off and said it wasn't political, but was their job as a doctors office to inform patients about all the potential dangers for that age group. What a crock. I don't want to embarass my wife since she likes the doctor, so I left it there. I asked my wife if she'd be willing to switch doctors but they're pretty much all that way and this one is convenient. Anyone know of any pro-gun pediatricians on the north side of Indy? Would writing a letter to the American Association of Pediatricians or the AMA do any good? Should I call the Star and see if they'll print an editorial about it. :rolleyes:

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    This happened just last week in southern Indiana;

State Police are investigating the shooting death of a two year old Crawford County girl. Around 7:06 Monday evening, Police received a 911 call reporting the shooting at the residence located at 7250 Speed Road in Milltown. Preliminary investigation reveals that when officers arrived they discovered Alexis B. Camp, 2, Milltown dead from an apparent gun shot. The Crawford County Coroner’s Office pronounced Alexis dead at the scene. Following an autopsy in Louisville today, it was determined that Alexis died from an accidental self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. According to the investigators the semi-automatic handgun was left in a location that Alexis was able to access the weapon and unfortunately pull the trigger. When finished following up on leads the investigators will forward the case to the Crawford County Prosecutor for review

The gun belonged to her father, a reserve Sheriff's deputy. Guns in the house are dangerous when kids are around. Any responsible gun owner should keep guns away from kids and that means locked up in a gun safe, not under the bed, in the sock drawer or on top of the fridge.

I keep a hand gun available for self defense but not in a place where children have access. There are secure boxes that still allow quick access available.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    I would make sure the Dr knows how I feel about the note. His receptionist may not even tell him that you called. i would also return the note to him personally and tell him I was not interested in his opinions of how to protect my kids.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    " It is best to keep all guns out of the home" was the only part that really bothered me. That's the political slant.

Exactly.

Notice also that they make a statement of fact, and probably no statistics to back it up.

I tend to believe the statement is true, BUT they are probably referencing the immensly flawed Kellerman study, which has been debunked, bad method, bad math, etc., HOWEVER if you limit the scope to ONLY kids (and by kids, I mean under age 10) then the statement is probably true, as there are very few murders of children under age 10 by handgun... lot's of beating deaths, and even more cruel things, but I would agree that most kids who are shot are shot by accident or negligence.

Now with all that said...

The numbers of kids dying by being shot is FAR down the list of reason why kids die. Car accidents, drowning, poisonings, choking, falls, those are by FAR more concern to me. (Of course I take reasonable precautions with guns, AND I teach my kids gun safety.)

Last edited:

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    What is the name and address of the pediatrician's office?

A diplomatically written letter to them as well as the affiliated hospital informing them that they (pediatrician's office as well as hospital and affiliates) will be avoided for health care needs will likely bother them more than any letter protesting unethical practices (using kids to push politics).

As an aside....John Lott Jr in More Guns Less Crime debunks the myth that 100's of "kids" are killed by handguns every year. He uses data collected by CDC and Law Enforcement agencies. He also looks at what people who make that claim call "kids" as well as circumstances surrounding their death. They are including anyone under the age of 18, to include the 16 year old gang thug selling drugs who gets involved in a shooting with a rival drug dealer.

Edited to add:
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/More-Guns-Less-Crime-Understanding/dp/0226493636[/ame]

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The gun belonged to her father, a reserve Sheriff's deputy. Guns in the house are dangerous when kids are around. Any responsible gun owner should keep guns away from kids and that means locked up in a gun safe, not under the bed, in the sock drawer or on top of the fridge.

I keep a hand gun available for self defense but not in a place where children have access. There are secure boxes that still allow quick access available.

Education of proper gun handling is even more important than locking them up!
    I can not remember a single home I ever visited as a youth that had firearms locked up. And yet millions of youths have matured into adults. Why because used to little Johny and little Suzy were taught about weapons. :twocents:

JPY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Muncie
    You should ask them where you should keep your guns, then, if not in the home.

If you keep going, it also says to make sure your kids wear helmets at all times when riding bikes. Show of hands, how many here wore helmets EVER when growing up?

*hands at side, fondling Taurus in Fobus paddle holster*

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    29,000 people killed by doctors errors per year in the united states (Journal of American Medial Association).. less than 700 by firearms accidents. (NRA-ILA)

show that to your doctor

Last edited:

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    E-mail contact info in the links listed below.

American Academy of Pediatrics
    141 Northwest Point Blvd
    Elk Grove Village, 60007
    fax 847.228.6432
    COMMUNITY PEDIATRICS

It is in Illinois according to the zip code and Google. They seem to have a gun agenda. Use the search function for handgun or firearm.

American Medical Association
    515 N. State Street
    Chicago, IL 60654
    (800) 621-8335
    American Medical Association

Interesting that they are both located in Illinois. Some people believe in coincidence. Me, not so much.

Edited to add:
    My e-mail to the AAP
    "I object to your anti-gun political agenda. According to research conducted by professor John Lott Jr your claims are erroneous. I will not be taking my children to any pediatrician that pursues your politics, showing a lack of ethics. It is incumbent on you to disseminate valid information, not an emotional opinion."

Last edited:

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    This stuff really honks me off. Their statements lump responsible gun-owning parents in with crackhead felons. THAT IS A POLITICAL AGENDA!! :xmad::xmad:

Kids are safer without bathtubs, hot water, knives, electricity, matches, household cleaners, ropes, plastic bags, and coffee pots in the home.

Keep in mind that, while it might seem futile ("all pediatricians are like this"), I believe we made a difference a few months ago by writing CVS pharmacy about their ridiculous anti-gun "educational" materials on their web site. A week after we began flooding them with emails, they took it down.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Exactly.
    probably no statistics to back it up.

Probably? Definitely. Last time I checked, more children drown in plastic buckets and bathtubs annually than are killed in gun accidents. Where's the warning to eliminate plastic buckets and bathtubs from the home?

There are MANY things in the home more dangerous than a gun (as EVIDENCED by the statistics), and yet guns are singled out. At best - mindless parroting of "accepted truths"; at worst a political message.

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    How come they don't mention keeping matches and lighters and prescription drugs out of the reach of children. What a crock!

James

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Education of proper gun handling is even more important than locking them up!
    I can not remember a single home I ever visited as a youth that had firearms locked up. And yet millions of youths have matured into adults. Why because used to little Johny and little Suzy were taught about weapons. :twocents:

I agree, part of being a responsible gun owner is teaching youth proper gun safety but you can't teach a two year old.

I disagree with the doctor's statement that guns should not be in the home, but a basic gun safe is not expensive and will keep your guns secure. No reason not to have one.

Top Bottom