Not your aunties Montgomery Ward catalog...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Moving into a new address, I expected to get junk mail.
    No big deal. It usually starts fires pretty well.

I got a Montgomery Ward catalog in the mail today and it looked more like a Fingerhut or Carol Wright type thing.
    Just a sparse few pages with a large declaration on the front page telling me that I've been pre-approved for credit!
    Buy now, pay later...

I had a couple of minutes at lunch and decided to browse the catalog to see what kind of crap I could "buy now" and "pay later"...
    Yep, just like Fingerhut. Pots and pans, bedding, furniture, dildos....
    Wait, WHAT?

Yes, buried near the center were 2 pages of sex toys, IN A MONTGOMERY WARDS CATALOG!

Then back to garden tools and patio furniture...

I was floored!
    Most definitely NOT the Montgomery Wards I remember from my youth.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Because of caring for elderly relatives some geriatric / med supply catalogs still come to the house. Among the usual trusses, bunion cream, wheeled walkers and the usual things you think of for aged people, there are some pages with various "equipment" to help those functions. Old people need luvin' too.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They sold the name and trademarks. It has nothing to do with the old department/catalog store. After the bankruptcy in 2000, a catalog marketer in Iowa (no stores) bought the name, but then it failed and the name was sold to another no-name retailer with no physical stores
    People of a certain age just do not understand this point, even if they acknowledge what you say. I have explained this dozens of times, folks say they understand, then soon after they talk about a good Magnavox electronic item they found, still not understanding the concept in the real…

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    They sold the name and trademarks. It has nothing to do with the old department/catalog store. After the bankruptcy in 2000, a catalog marketer in Iowa (no stores) bought the name, but then it failed and the name was sold to another no-name retailer with no physical stores
    Correct. Just joined to add this comment, but HoughMade beat me to it. The current "Montgomery Ward" has nothing to do with the famed store. They just bought the name during bankruptcy auction.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

I got a Montgomery Ward catalog in the mail today and it looked more like a Fingerhut or Carol Wright type thing.
    Just a sparse few pages with a large declaration on the front page telling me that I've been pre-approved for credit!
    Buy now, pay later...

I had a couple of minutes at lunch and decided to browse the catalog to see what kind of crap I could "buy now" and "pay later"...
    Wait, WHAT?

Yes, buried near the center were 2 pages of sex toys, IN A MONTGOMERY WARDS CATALOG!

I was floored!
    Even the old Wards sold toys for Mom,

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I'd comment but then I'd be the old grumpy man...wait to late.

I loved the Christmas Season Catalogs

Those were the best. My grandparents got the wards, Sears, etc. catalogs. After dinner, the adults would play cards. We would watch tv and browse the catalogs.

Toys, guns, go carts, and mini bikes were my favorites to browse.

When I got older, I liked browsing the JC Whitney and one other - I don’t remember the name, but similar

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    One of my mother's sisters was apparently a prostitute back during the Depression. Aung Geraldine was a hoot. :):
    My great Aunt wasn't a prostitute, at least not that I know of. But she was a hoot as well. Her first husband from what I understand was the enforcer for the NWI chapter of the Invaders MC. She didn't ride on the back of his, she had her own. Which probably explains the vibrating saddle we found when going through her stuff.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Buy now, pay later...

Wait, WHAT?

I was floored!
    How well did you know your auntie?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Because of caring for elderly relatives some geriatric / med supply catalogs still come to the house. Among the usual trusses, bunion cream, wheeled walkers and the usual things you think of for aged people, there are some pages with various "equipment" to help those functions. Old people need luvin' too.
    Leo, no need to explain. You just do you.

• Haha
    Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom