Northwest Indiana Gun Owners # 25 good morning all.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Sounds like a sump pit without a pump. They must have another method of getting rid of the water.
    20230922_082518.jpg

20230922_082555.jpg

If you zoom in on the 2nd image you see 2 connections/pipes dumping into this "pit/pipe". The one on thr bottom of thr image does an S curve and it's end is in thr center of this image. The other end of that "pipe" is a floor drain in the basement utility room.

If jedi pours water in that drain it fills up to the top and eventually is slowly goes down and jedi sees water movement in the center of this pit/pipe. So that floor drain is connected to this pit/pipe.

The bigger pipe on the right (2nd image) no idea where the other end is at. However during heavy rain jedi does see a small trickle of water coming from that pipe and into the pit/pipe.

jedi has never seen the water go above that pipe. There is lots of mud/sedemit at the bottom. The very bottom and side walls are lined with brick.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I've been in plenty of old homes in EC, Whiting and Hammond for work but never seen anything like that. Seen some that still had an oil storage tank from when they had an oil furnace. The old octopus (gravity) furnaces were rather interesting. Check out this
    old water heater in Whiting if I remember correctly. It was still working perfectly.

IMG_0005.JPG

Last edited:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Found a picture I took of an old gravity furnace in Hammond when I was a gas man. Again, still working perfectly. They have no blower motor but rely on the heat rising. Knew a guy who was lighting a pilot light on one, got the big chamber filled with gas and when he went to light the pilot blew the basement windows out from the shock wave. No other damage.

IMG_0570.JPG

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Plus there is some weird 1950s "water system" in the basement. A huge "super Mario pipe" that holds like a pit of water but it's not a well. Seems to be like a pool of some type under the foundation.

When it rains the pool rises a bit and their is water movement. Eventually it stops moving and the water lowers.

Do you have a fishin pole? May be some critters in there. :@ya:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Found a picture I took of an old gravity furnace in Hammond when I was a gas man. Again, still working perfectly. They have no blower motor but rely on the heat rising. Knew a guy who was lighting a pilot light on one, got the big chamber filled with gas and when he went to light the pilot blew the basement windows out from the shock wave. No other damage.

View attachment 300847

That's a monster!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I've been in plenty of old homes in EC, Whiting and Hammond for work but never seen anything like that. Seen some that still had an oil storage tank from when they had an oil furnace. The old octopus (gravity) furnaces were rather interesting. Check out this
    old water heater in Whiting if I remember correctly. It was still working perfectly.

View attachment 300845
    Grew up in ec, had relatives in Gary, hammond, and south Chicago and none of those houses had anything like this.

The home inspector had no idea what it was. 2 different plumbing companies, one a 30s guys the other in his 60s had never seen one before either.

The house also has a weird setup at the water heater which the 60 year plumber said he had not seen in a long time.

FYQda.jpg

Looks like this. The water discharge value is connected to the hot water supply line. The old plumber said this was used to ensure hot, hot water was always avaliable even at the furthered faucet from the water tank. In this property the master bath on the addition.

The old timer plumber said it was not really necessary as the distance was not that great.

The house was built in 1950 so no clue what sort of plumbing tech they were using or some "advance concept tech" back then that did not pan out??

All jedi knows is that the small, vey small hill jedi sits on probably has to do with that tank under the house

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart
    It also allows the hot side to be drained. Shut off the supply valve at the top of heater and open the valve at the bottom. You'll drain the the hot water side from the supply. If you shut off the supply side of the water heater and open the valve at the bottom you'll drain the tank and the water line.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :nono: jedi ain't touching it.
    Dislike anything plumbing!!!
    Dislike it 1000%.

Rather touch a racoon then deal with plumbing.

Electrical no problem.
    jedi has done residential, commercial and even high voltage no issue.

But plumbing f.... no!!!!

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    The raccoons in my yard have surprisingly never caused any problems. Now all those damn grey squirrels are another story.
    I need to thin that herd. They are my version of your raccoons.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    The raccoons in my yard have surprisingly never caused any problems. Now all those damn grey squirrels are another story.
    I need to thin that herd. They are my version of your raccoons.
    Same. We get lots of wildlife since we back up to lemon lake park, only thing doing any damage this year is moles, and that’s not terrible. Coons have never hurt anything here.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom