North Carolina gun laws for Indiana resident visitors?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've read through many available web resources for NC gun laws. Some seem a bit more restrictive than Indiana's. Example regarding concealed vs open, even in vehicles.

Does anyone have any practical advice or anecdotal stories for Indiana residents visiting North Carolina?

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yes. Thanks. Even they say there are some things hard to interpret. Just curious if anyone had any first hand or nearly so experiences that are worth repeating.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Yes, I spend a lot of time there. Did you know that you can carry a firearm in your vehicle without their version of the LTCH, but it must be in the open?

I have never been pulled over in NC, but these are the rules I go by after much reading:

Your LTCH is good there.

1) you must notify that you are carrying if pulled over
    2) you cannot carry into a bar or liquor store
    3) OCing is really, really not advised though technically legal, I think. They can get you on their catch-all "terrorizing the public" law.
    4) you can't carry in public gatherings. I do carry in theaters while there, but parades are most likely off limits.
    5) you can't carry in schools, of course. I wouldn't carry in a hospital, airport, or govt. building either.
    6) A sign on a store forbidding you to carry has the weight of law (unlike IN)

If I think of more later, I'll post again. You can also ask the guys at North Carolina Gun Owners

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    So, to clarify, OC is legal but not recommended...is CC the preferred method of carry/legal there?

I'm not sure that OC is technically legal, it's been some 6 months since I've read their laws. I think it is though.

I'm not a lawyer, YMMV, etc. etc.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Based off my reading of NC law, I found that:

CC in a vehicle is ILLEGAL. NO clear-cut definition exists of what "CC" in a vehicle is so use caution.

NO carry into ANY restaurant that serves ANY ALCOHOL.

IANAA. Not sure if this is correct? Any info would be appreciated---the fiancee is wanting to honeymoon there next year and I'm still undecided.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yes, it's the carry in vehicle that has me stymied. Both from letter of law, and practical/anecdotal evidence of 'out of towners' encounters. (hey, that RHYMES)

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I've read that as long as you have the firearm "IN PLAIN SIGHT" in the vehicle then it SHOULD be ok...however, it's been mentioned that the police can easily hit you with "Terrorizing the public" as a charge, as we saw happen to a fellow gun-owner in NC a few months ago. The more I read the more I dislike that state---too many instances of LEO abuse of power.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I think that you can CC in a vehicle while licensed to carry... as far as restaurants go, i'm pretty sure Applebees and the like is ok, just not bars... now I need to go back and re-read them again :)

ghille45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    afghanistan
    OC is legal, I live in fayetteville, NC, you have to inform officers that you are carrying even if they just approach you on the street. There is the terrorizing the public law which i don't really understand either. You cannot carry in bars, and you cannot take it to public gatherings. Most of the LEO from here are f'ing power tripping douche bags.

Top Bottom