• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    Apparently, Smith and Wesson doesn't like aftermarket companies building one-off versions of the M&P. Some companies were sent a cease and desist letter from Smith and Wesson which included: Brownell’s, DP Custom Gun Works, Blowndeadline Custom and Apex Tactical Specialties. You may recognize these are the same companies that participated in Brownell's "dream gun" custom program.

Here's a link to the main article:

Smith Objects to Brownells' M&P 'Dream Gun' - The Truth About Guns

And here is the original story:

Apex Teams With Top Custom Builders On Brownells Dream Gun | Apex Tactical Specialties

I originally thought that Smith and Wesson didn't want anyone to customize the M&P, but it looks like they just don't like the one-off "dream gun" build.

Thoughts?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    From what I've read over the last day, I think S&W is trying to say they don't want that gun displayed at SHOT as a S&W M&P, since it has been so heavily modified, it's not really a S&W M&P anymore.

though I think they are wrong, and made a very poor decision sending that letter out. I'm sure it's a legal team at S&W trying to CYA.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    IMHO I believe S&W are tired of fixing their products that get returned to them that were modified by either another company or Bubba himself.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    IMHO I believe S&W are tired of fixing their products that get returned to them that were modified by either another company or Bubba himself.
    Wouldn't be difficult to just make it company policy not to work on heavily modified firearms.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Wouldn't be difficult to just make it company policy not to work on heavily modified firearms.

I believe they have that policy but S&W goes above and beyond to fix issues that the gun owner or previous owners caused.

Of course reverting to that inner child behaivier the ones with an issue with S&W declining to repair something these same folks will deny their own responsibility and the post how horrible the company is and paint their own picture.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I believe they have that policy but S&W goes above and beyond to fix issues that the gun owner or previous owners caused.

Of course reverting to that inner child behaivier the ones with an issue with S&W declining to repair something these same folks will deny their own responsibility and the post how horrible the company is and paint their own picture.

exactly

Top Bottom