• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Thought I would toss my take on the ammo issue out there and see what you guys have to say.

I really dont think people are HORDING ammo. Lets look at the facts... I think i saw in another thread that there have been 3.7 MILLION nics checks done so far this year... Thats not including what is probably an equal number in the last two months of last year, but for arguements sake lets say there are 4 million NEW firearms out there... Those guns need ammo so DEMAND INCREASES.... We have seen the possibility of serializing bullets come about and even though it got knocked down alot of people were worried about it with good reason, so DEMAND INCREASES. We have a democratic presidant who is anti-gun, so DEMAND INCREASES.... some people thought the swine flew was going to break out and become a huge issue. those that were not already preppers saw the light before them and realized that they might need a small stockpile of ammunition if and when bad things happen, so DEMAND INCREASES.

I dont blame someone for going to a walmart and buying every box of ammo on their shelves. I am actually a believer in having a stockpile of ammo readily available incase things happen like the san fransisco riots, or another Katrina like incident. If it were me and i thought that there were going to be a day in the near future where i would have to protect my family and i only had 100 rounds of winchester white box on hand i would be worried, and i would try to get some more ammo. this is a survival instinct and when it comes to living, you have to take care of #1 first regardless of whether the next guy gets his plinking ammo.

Are some people being greedy? maybe but in reality the political and economic climate have lead to an increase in demand which suppliers are not able to keep up with.

Your guess is as good as mine as to when this shortage will end, but if you dont have any ammo available to protect yourself and your family i dont blame you for trying to get it.

just my :twocents:, am curious as to what other people think as to where this ammo shortage is coming from.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I agree, there is historically unheard of gun buying going on right now and you have to feed those babies. Supply can't just quadruple overnight.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I agree. But I do also think there are some greedy people out there that are buying it up at the cheaper rates and then selling it at much higher prices to take advantage of those that can't find ammo. This is why I'm glad I stocked up on most of my ammo in the past couple of years while it was cheap :) The ones I'd be in worst shape is 30-06 I think I've only got about 200-250 rds, and 12 ga 00 buckshot. I might have 40-50 rds if I'm lucky. Otherwise I'm 500 rds plus on almost everything :)

emmitsmithxd9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Nice deal on the slugs Indy

I agree with you totally on the shortage. If things turn bad you need protection and ways to feed your family.

Marshall74

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Michigan
    I disagree. People ARE hording. On the MGO ( Michigan gunOwners site, there was a poll on how much ammo you have. The results were staggering. Most of the people there had between 1000 to 5000 rounds of ammo. There are people on there selling ammo from 100 rounds to almost 5000 rounds. Now That;s just one state, there are 49 othere that sell ammo. Take a look.
    Firearms Accessories and Ammo For Sale - MGO Community Forum

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    5k? That's not hording. Maybe once you've crossed 15k, but 5k I'll shoot in a year, easy. Some will come close to that in a month.

I ordered some 00 from OMB a week or so ago and didn't get them, I checked today and they say it is in stock again as well as the 9mm I ordered (six boxes altogether, don't go into a fit over it). I hope it gets shipped this week.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I disagree. People ARE hording. On the MGO ( Michigan gunOwners site, there was a poll on how much ammo you have. The results were staggering. Most of the people there had between 1000 to 5000 rounds of ammo. There are people on there selling ammo from 100 rounds to almost 5000 rounds. Now That;s just one state, there are 49 othere that sell ammo. Take a look.

:nopity:the only people complaining about hording are the ones that waited too long before stocking up or just want to complain because someone else is more pro-active in that dept. add all the time you spend complaining about "horders" and thats how much time you had to find some yourself. I do agree that buying everything at wal-mart etc. and reselling at a higher price is classless and uncalled for but I will NEVER complain about people that have a bunch of ammo for personal use or a stockpile for SHTF or whatever else they want it for because I want some too and am too slow on the draw to get it.:soapbox:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

1K to 5K rounds is hording ??
    My wife & I have shot 1K in a single day of practice.. ( not counting 22LR.. )

5K would not last a month..

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I'll assume those of you who are shooting 5,000 rounds a month are reloaders, as I'm not buying that very many people are out shooting $1,000 bucks a month (at the cheapest) in ammo alone.

Having said that, yes, 5,000 rounds is hoarding, now matter how you slice it. That is, unless I am wrong and you'll really run out and shoot $1K this month.

I have 4,000 rounds of 9mm stockpiled. I'm hoarding. I admit it. I would have NEVER had this much ammo before, but since I can't find it for ****, I'm buying what I can, when I can - but I'm not paying more than $13 for 50 rounds either.

I bought 100 more rounds today I didn't need. That is textbook 'hoarding'

But I'm doing it for one reason; not because I need it, but because I'm tired of looking. I'm not one of the idiots who will pay $50 for a box of .380. Since it CLEARLY isn't getting any better, I'd rather stockpile what I think I'll need for the next couple years and just wait it out.

I went to 6 Wal-Marts today. 2 Dick's. 2 gun shops. I got 100 friggin' rounds. It's a joke of American Business on ALL levels. The gun shops are limiting; even Wal-Mart is limiting. If I'm in business, I'm in business to make money and I couldn't care less who buys my product; so long as it sells. If I've got a gun store and I get 10,000 rounds in and you want to buy them all, come on in! I'll take your money - it's less wear and tear on my cash register, I don't have to worry about any of it getting stolen throughout the day to other customers coming in; on and on and on. You're in business to make money - so make it! As for the manufacturers, this "Obamanation" has been going on for several months, so supply not being able to keep up with demand is absolutely ridiculous to even suggest. This is America, and if the demand is there, there will ALWAYS be someone else to come along and pick up the slack. If Winchester and Remington can't cut the mustard, which they clearly are not, the Mexicans and Russians are pumping out more and more. I have 1,000 rounds of Aguila .380 from Mexico, purchased for $14 a box. I have 2,000 rounds of Sellier and Bellot (Czech Republic) in both 9mm and .380. Another 1,000 rounds of .380 Magtech (Brazil) and another 500 Magtech in 9mm. I have 100 rounds of Winchester and 150 rounds of Remington UMC. Ammo right now is just like oil. We're all sending our money to other countries.

What can you do? You can overpay for the domestic brands. Cuz unless you're getting it from Wal-Mart, you're paying more for Winchester or Remington than I am for my Sellier and Bellot. I'm hoarding all the foreign ammo I can find. Our manufacturers aren't getting it done, and I don't give a damn what their reason is. I support the USA manufacturers until they don't support us. Get it together or lose market share. Hey, my Sellier and Bellot goes bang every time, for less money that the domestics, and I can find it regularly.

And since I can find it, I'm hoarding it. Cuz the prices aren't coming down anytime soon. This you can be sure of.

Sorry I got off topic a little bit; this ammo thing is so damn frustrating... There's so many brands of ammo on the shelves now it makes me sick. How could our own manufacturers NOT know this was coming but the Czech Republic did?

I don't believe the new guns sold have anything to do with it. I'd bet one out of every 3 guns sold (at a minimum) is to a newbie to the gun world who isn't going to take it seriously by going out regularly to shoot.

But to put it another way; A million people buying a gun and a box of 50 rounds is only 50 million rounds total.

A million of us 'hoarders' out there buying a thousand rounds is a billion rounds.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I'll assume those of you who are shooting 5,000 rounds a month are reloaders, as I'm not buying that very many people are out shooting $1,000 bucks a month (at the cheapest) in ammo alone.

Having said that, yes, 5,000 rounds is hoarding, now matter how you slice it. That is, unless I am wrong and you'll really run out and shoot $1K this month.

I have 4,000 rounds of 9mm stockpiled. I'm hoarding. I admit it. I would have NEVER had this much ammo before, but since I can't find it for ****, I'm buying what I can, when I can - but I'm not paying more than $13 for 50 rounds either.

I bought 100 more rounds today I didn't need. That is textbook 'hoarding'

But I'm doing it for one reason; not because I need it, but because I'm tired of looking. I'm not one of the idiots who will pay $50 for a box of .380. Since it CLEARLY isn't getting any better, I'd rather stockpile what I think I'll need for the next couple years and just wait it out.

I went to 6 Wal-Marts today. 2 Dick's. 2 gun shops. I got 100 friggin' rounds. It's a joke of American Business on ALL levels. The gun shops are limiting; even Wal-Mart is limiting. If I'm in business, I'm in business to make money and I couldn't care less who buys my product; so long as it sells. If I've got a gun store and I get 10,000 rounds in and you want to buy them all, come on in! I'll take your money - it's less wear and tear on my cash register, I don't have to worry about any of it getting stolen throughout the day to other customers coming in; on and on and on. You're in business to make money - so make it! As for the manufacturers, this "Obamanation" has been going on for several months, so supply not being able to keep up with demand is absolutely ridiculous to even suggest. This is America, and if the demand is there, there will ALWAYS be someone else to come along and pick up the slack. If Winchester and Remington can't cut the mustard, which they clearly are not, the Mexicans and Russians are pumping out more and more. I have 1,000 rounds of Aguila .380 from Mexico, purchased for $14 a box. I have 2,000 rounds of Sellier and Bellot (Czech Republic) in both 9mm and .380. Another 1,000 rounds of .380 Magtech (Brazil) and another 500 Magtech in 9mm. I have 100 rounds of Winchester and 150 rounds of Remington UMC. Ammo right now is just like oil. We're all sending our money to other countries.

What can you do? You can overpay for the domestic brands. Cuz unless you're getting it from Wal-Mart, you're paying more for Winchester or Remington than I am for my Sellier and Bellot. I'm hoarding all the foreign ammo I can find. Our manufacturers aren't getting it done, and I don't give a damn what their reason is. I support the USA manufacturers until they don't support us. Get it together or lose market share. Hey, my Sellier and Bellot goes bang every time, for less money that the domestics, and I can find it regularly.

And since I can find it, I'm hoarding it. Cuz the prices aren't coming down anytime soon. This you can be sure of.

Sorry I got off topic a little bit; this ammo thing is so damn frustrating... There's so many brands of ammo on the shelves now it makes me sick. How could our own manufacturers NOT know this was coming but the Czech Republic did?

I don't believe the new guns sold have anything to do with it. I'd bet one out of every 3 guns sold (at a minimum) is to a newbie to the gun world who isn't going to take it seriously by going out regularly to shoot.

But to put it another way; A million people buying a gun and a box of 50 rounds is only 50 million rounds total.

A million of us 'hoarders' out there buying a thousand rounds is a billion rounds.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Ok my argument is this. I realize that there are a lot of new gun owners. On the other hand chances are if they have never owned a gun, they are not going to buy huge amounts of ammunition. Fast is there are quit a few people hoarding ammunition, and companies buying ammo from Walmart then jacking up the price. Also you can only do so much in a riot situation, or a natural disaster. I'm not going to hand some Joe, my weapons and ammo. That, and what if you have to move to another location. How are you going to pack all that ammo. Or are you going to leave it for the scavengers? I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money. I also can get ammo any time I need it. Honestly the line needs to be drawn somewhere. I blame blame the Obama administration. I blame the people who voted him in. I blame the hoarders. I also blame people that finaly realized they needed a gun.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I used to be hooked on diet Sunkist.
    They first came out with it in 2 liter and 12 oz can only.
    I didn't like buying the 2 liter, as that required a cup of some kind and was just a pain dealing with, so I opted to buy the 12 oz cans.
    Occasionally Kroger would have them on sale for $2.50/12 pack.
    Because it was difficult to find in stock, when they did have it, I would buy every last 12 pack they had on the shelf.
    I would drive to every Kroger or Meijer on the SE side of Indy, looking for it.
    There were times where I would have the entire cart full of Diet Sunkist. Last I remember, I had bought some 24 12 packs once.
    The problem was that over half of the time we would do our grocery shopping, the store would be out. So I got tired of getting left out in the cold, when I wanted to drink some damn diet Sunkist.
    Stocking up solved my problem of running out, plus I didn't have to keep buying a few each visit.
    I did kick that habit and mostly drink water and a few Cokes...no more stock piling of the drinks.:yesway:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I agree. But I do also think there are some greedy people out there that are buying it up at the cheaper rates and then selling it at much higher prices

I believe this is the definition of capitalism. Finding your nitch and making money by selling something in a supply/demand favorable market!?!

Just b/c its the market your interested in doesn't mean you need to become ____?____ with those who are prospering over you. We all have the same opprotunities as those making money! :patriot:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I've said it once I'll say it again the only people bitching about hoarding are the people that don't have it for whatever reason(lazy, too much time complaining about it etc.)if you think complaining that you can't find any ammo when it's obviously out there to be found is gonna make me not buy that extra box of ammo so I can make you happy, HTFU! I'm through coddling the "your an ammo hoarder" babies. quit yapping about it and go out and find some!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield

Early bird gets the worm, and those who are mad at me for "hording" my ammo for practice, hunting, SHTF, bardering, well you don't get my worm, you get my.:fawk:

Top Bottom