No more ammo cans need ammo storage idea.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I agree for the stuff I'm packing desiccant in and storing away 9mm is 1200 rounds per can, 40 call is about 1000, 45 is 850rds 6.5x55 swede about 800, 308 unbelted is 750 ish 762x39 1000 perfectly. I have several of these and other cal stuck back in ammo cans but I'm just looking for a better solution for around the house. I am really looking to just keep the caps I shoot often for example 45,40,9,38super,308,762x39 ect around the house maybe 2500 of each cal and lock up the cans in the safe room at another location. One of my buddy's suggested fireproof filing cabinets I'm just curios of the weight on the drawers.

briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN
    I buy the smaller Rubbermaid containers with the handles that snap over the lids.
    then I put loose rounds in Mylar bags ( 30 rds per bag) and seal them.. toss all of the bags in the container and start stacking

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have ammo in ammo cans and the 50 round plastic containers and also the factory cardboard container.

I also have lots of ammo in cardboard boxes in lots of 300 to 500 rounds. What is nice about cardboard is as long as the cardboard is intact, I don't have to worry about the environment where the ammo is being stored. If the cardboard is dry, the ammo is dry.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I like 50 cal ammo cans because they allow room to keep ammo in the box.

I don't like what I see a lot of people do, and that is breaking open the box and pouring ammo loose in an ammo can. Even if you only buy one brand and one loading spec of ammo, what if there is a recall on a bad lot number? I still keep 4 or 5 flavors of each caliber of ammo depending on the final use, so I would loose track of things if I started discarding the boxes.

Ammo cans were designed as a solution for a customer that buys, ships, stores and issues a LOT of ammo. If there was something better, that customer would be buying it.

Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    I know and understand what your saying I just have 68 ammo cans and was looking for something easier strong the house. I do keep all of mine in boxes. I am also looking into making something.

Rellik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    What about stacking the ammo cans so that they make a couch then put a cover over it.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I converted a closet into a ammo store. Shelves full of ammo, easy to peruse stock, & grab what I need for range. Some is in ammo cans, much on shelves, similar to what you'd see @ LGS.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Components like brass I keep in bigger containers, but to me it boils down to how much weight you can comfortably move. A 50 cal ammo box full of loose 45ACP is heavy, anything bigger would be hard to hoist up into a truck.

Top Bottom