• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    With respect, only if you believe you have one and only one opportunity--and that opportunity is RFN--to apprehend the individual in question does your rationale work. Rarely, if ever, is this the case, I'm sure.

How much evidence can actually be flushed down a toilet? If that's the extent of the evidence on which the state was hinging its prosecution, I'm not sure priorities are fully understood by some of the decision-makers.

And if the individual in question is taking the opportunity to arm himself, perhaps LE should practice the oldest adage of common sense: discretion is the better part of valor. LE could attempt to use a little less brute force and a little more gray matter in apprehending these guys. It wouldn't take much of the latter to outsmart most perps. You can always count on their greed.

Warwick cops lure wanted man | recordonline.com

I see your points, so I guess my argument wouldn't be directed at the flushing of evidence necessarily, however the element of surprise might be an advantage. Hit a door at 6 am when "thug-a-lug" is sleeping and he won't have enough time to get to his "gat" to harm an officer (all hypothetical).Yes the police department must accept full responsibility if they make a mistake(ie end up at the wrong address) however somewhere along the lines, a judge signed off on that warrant.

cool vid but was wondering if they even check their source.i would file suite and get my door fixed.just saying.
    It's an advertisement, not a real video. If it was real and police hit the wrong door(not the one that was on the warrant) they city would have to pay for it.

Trust me, I know this. However, it does seem like they get a little detached from the admins at times. I dont see anything wrong with having someone there.
    I completely agree. Generally if you are doing a major operation as such you are going to have Sgt's and Lt's there. The bigger the operation, the higher the supervisor that will come out. In a major city like Indianapolis, good luck getting the Chief of Police to come out and supervise that. That is what he has deputy chiefs, commanders, and captains for.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My opinion of no knock warrants is simple. They are a useful tool but one that carries great weight of responsibility. Too make everybody involved pay attention I would change the law to include automatic termination of employment for everybody involved when there was a mistake, from the judge who signed off on it to all officers involved. There is no excuse for mistakes with these.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    My opinion of no knock warrants is simple. They are a useful tool but one that carries great weight of responsibility. Too make everybody involved pay attention I would change the law to include automatic termination of employment for everybody involved when there was a mistake, from the judge who signed off on it to all officers involved. There is no excuse for mistakes with these.

Even if the address is correct there are so many ways it could go wrong.

-What if the person has no idea there is a warrant out for his arrest? Is he allowed to legitimately defend himself in his own home?
    -What if the person is innocent of the crime of which he is suspected? Is he allowed to legitimately defend himself in his own home?
    -What of the other people in the house? E.g. The suspect's parents. Are they allowed to legitimately defend themselves in their own home?
    -What about the kids involved? Are they worth endangering because somebody in their family may or may not be a crime suspect?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    -What of the other people in the house? E.g. The suspect's parents. Are they allowed to legitimately defend themselves in their own home?
    -What about the kids involved? Are they worth endangering because somebody in their family may or may not be a crime suspect?

Don't forget the dogs.

All kidding aside, the relative risk rarely outweighs gain of mere apprehension. LE is not an "at all costs" endeavor. Or at least it shouldn't be.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    My opinion is that there is no lawful reason that the LEA should be allowed to use a No-Knock Warrant at all.

My question for the audience is if by some fluke of divine intervention my household manages to stop and or shoot several of these intruders, providing it was an incorrect address that they assaulted of course, what is the next thing to happen to me?!

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Don't forget the dogs.

All kidding aside, the relative risk rarely outweighs gain of mere apprehension. LE is not an "at all costs" endeavor. Or at least it shouldn't be.

Unfortunately it has become exactly that.

Much like with dealing with the Borg, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated (or terminated).

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    My opinion is that there is no lawful reason that the LEA should be allowed to use a No-Knock Warrant at all.

My question for the audience is if by some fluke of divine intervention my household manages to stop and or shoot several of these intruders, providing it was an incorrect address that they assaulted of course, what is the next thing to happen to me?!

You will either surrender yourself for prosecution or you will be terminated.

There is no 3rd option, even if the raid on your residence was made in error.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    And what exactly would I be Prosecuted for?!
    Defending Mine and Residence from an unlawful invasion....

This is the only part of this situation that even worries me. Traveling the World has made me, More open minded than I was before I left home. I know the world is full of some very bad peoples. I have taken steps to deter someone from just entering my haome and doing harm to the occupants. I am not fully completed with the process yet, however it is very possible for me to repel a small group of invaders fairly easily. So it could come to pass that I survive the assault, then what?! I know to Call a Lawyer almost immediately. Other than that, The media?!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

If you want to know what will happen, google Corey Maye. That's the best you can hope for. If you survive.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Ahhh, Corey Maye. That was Mississippi though. Would Indiana follow that example or would the State follow the Trotter case as an example.

If this BS continues it is going to happen that the LEAs will hit the wrong house and instead of having to apologize to grieving family they are going to have to pick up their pieces. The unknown is the part that scares the feces out of me here.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Don't forget the dogs.

Ha! I think I said that backward, but the more I read it the more befuddled it sounds.

Anyway, gain < risk. There that oughtta cover it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Ahhh, Corey Maye. That was Mississippi though. Would Indiana follow that example or would the State follow the Trotter case as an example.

If this BS continues it is going to happen that the LEAs will hit the wrong house and instead of having to apologize to grieving family they are going to have to pick up their pieces. The unknown is the part that scares the feces out of me here.
    Other than the ruling in one case in Indiana, I have no expectations that anything other than what happened to Corey would occur to any of us, should we find ourselves int he same predicament and we were lucky enough to survive. We're not a protected class of people and the system rarely, if ever, defaults to our side, in cases such as this. Fortunately, they're a rarity in this state. So far, anyway.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    "Police Raid Berwyn Heights Mayor's Home, Kill His 2 Dogs"
    "A police SWAT team raided the home of the mayor in the Prince George's County town of Berwyn Heights on Tuesday, shooting and killing his two dogs, after he brought in a 32-pound package of marijuana that had been delivered to his doorstep, police said."http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/30/AR2008073003299.html

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    We had an incident happen in Henry County about 30 years ago similar to a no-knock warrant search. A couple of sheriff's department detectives decided to bust into a house. I don't remember if they had a warrant or not. There were a lot of rumors about why it happened, but I believe the official story was "drugs in the house". Anyway, the homeowner heard somebody breaking in. He grabbed is .22lr rifle and called the police. While he was on the phone, he saw somebody coming around the corner with a revolver in his hand. He fired his rifle and hit and killed one of the sheriff's department detectives. He was acquitted of any wrongdoing at his trial. It was determined he had acted in self-defense.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    necromancy.jpg

Top Bottom