• ...and so much more!
  • Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    For years my night stand gun is a S&W Mod 15. I keep it loaded with the first round buckshot the second a +P H.P and 3rd buckshot the remaining three are +P H.P I am blind as a bat without specs and thought it would be a little more effective with crusty eyes getting woke up etc and thinking it might buy me enough time to gain composure with a follow up shot with something that would end the fight. I also thought the odds of a miss going through a wall would be mitigated some. After gleaning some knowledge from the forum I am starting to question my logic. With poor vision should I be taking a shot? For a long time I thought it was a solid plan, now not so much. Would appreciate some feedback.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    This a way better question than that zombie one I just read.

I question my ability to hit a barn without my specs. I just bought a really bright triple D cell flashlight that sits bedside with my S&W bodyguard 38. I'll snatch up that flashlight and 38 and if a BG comes down the hall I'm pretty sure I will stop him.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    My opinion is..... A blind shot with buckshot is better than no shot... If, heaven forbid someone does get into Ur house and u r forced to shoot, then even if u miss with the first shot it might scare them off. I agree with you when u say if u miss then the buckshot won't go into Ur neighbors house. Just my initial opinion

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've had a 1911 on my night stand since I had a night stand. I don't have to worry about aiming. Even with my 60+ year old eyes I am still capable of landing lead on target.
    I'm also so familiar with my night stand gun that even startled awake it's automatically in defense mode.
    I think that old 15 is a good gun. IF you're familiar with it and comfortable with a quick point and shoot then I'd keep it or go shotgun if that concerned about it.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    If there is ANY chance in the known universe that the person walking down your hall at 3 in the morning might be a family member or friend then you might want to reconsider shooting virtually blind.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    How are you shooting buckshot out of a .38 revolver? Are you sure you don't mean snake shot?
    Yes , sorry its snakeshot. CCI to be exact, although I have since learned to reload my own with handcut palstic wads or gas checks. Thankfully I still have a full box.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If there is ANY chance in the known universe that the person walking down your hall at 3 in the morning might be a family member or friend then you might want to reconsider shooting virtually blind.
    This would be my greatest concern with this. Nothing too bad can come out of shooting nearly blind otherwise, at least with snakeshot

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Springfield TRP Operator .45 ACP with a light rail. TLR-1 Streamlight rated at 160 Lumens. It will literally blind you if flashed in the eyes in the dark. Hard to miss someone lit up like that. Hard for them to respond when blind.
    The light literally hurts if you look into it. Do not ask how I know. Beer was not involved. Honest.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My eyes aren't the greatest but I feel confident I could get on target.

SR9 with a 150 lumen UTG light on the rail.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I guess I probably overshot the mark so to speak. I dont see well without specs. I can identify faces etc at about 30 feet. I don't worry about mis-identification in that regard. I can't say for certain until I try it tomorrow if I can put center mass at 30 feet, but I am 100 percent that an x-ring is out of the question. Alot of food for thought which is what I was looking for. I will re-evaluate after trying to identify and shoot without glasses. I tried sleeping with contacts but eye doc says no, even with the thirty day kind. I certainly do appreciate all the feedback. I always considered myself a prepared kind of guy but every once in a while you have one of those "oh crap" moments. Thanks again for all the input.

Top Bottom