• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Need some help... Do all new night sights glow at the same brightness no matter what brand? I have a set of "new" Trilux NS and a set of Trijicon NS that are about 8 months old to me and are marked 08. The Trijicon are wayyyyyyyyy brighter. Im going to try to post a pic or two but not sure if it will turn out being in the dark.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    There are differences. Hk is installing luminova instead of tritium on some of their guns to get around legal issues in some countries. In some countries, it is illegal to have tritium night sights.

Someone is gonna doubt me so I'll be back with proof...
    "HK's guns are sold all around the world, and in many countries, tritium sights are illegal, so HK offers the Luminova sights as standard."

The 3rd Degree: The HK .45 Compact

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Joe I would suppose that there would be differences. My old TruGlo TFOs were SUPER bright compared to others.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have not heard of Trilux in a long time now/I thought they were a defunct business? I used to buy mine from LWD.

It would seem a lot of tritium comes from one place:Israel.Where the differences come into play is the quality of the lenses (good ones use sapphire)and an aluminium tube for the surround.That is generally encapsulated in a white polymer that is seen as the white 'dot' during the day.That whole schmear is epoxied into the night sight you see during dark conditions.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Anyone have experience with the Trilux sights? Compared to my Trijicons, they look very old and warn out.

Yeah, there are differences by brand. IME, Meprolights and Glock's "house brand" are both brighter than Trijicon. I have had Trilux on a few guns and was unimpressed with them; same with P-T and IWI.

Some manufacturers deliberately make their rear sights dimmer than their fronts, to encourage focusing on the front sight.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    They're going to vary. The various makes will use different concentrations of tritium in the vials, different types and thickness of glass, etc.

In my guns, Trijicons (and other brands that have Trijicon inserts like Novak) have been the brightest and the most durable. Meprolight used to be okay, but I've had bad luck with them since Kimber absorbed them. They're not that bright new, and I've the front fail on the same gun three times.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom