• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    When driving at night, our eyes dilate to let in more light. Then, when the lights of an oncoming car hits us, the pupil tries to contract, causing the pain we feel.

I discovered something on a long road trip to visit my kids in Massachusetts a few years ago. If you leave a light on inside the car, the pupils don't contract as much, and thusly, you don't get the eye pain when meeting another vehicle. The light could be the dome light, the lighted vanity mirrors or maybe a reading light.

Someone I told this technique to told me they thought it was illegal to have a light on inside the car while driving at night.

So, Officers, what say you? Legal and okay? Illegal and I'm going to be in big trouble? Or...?

Thanks for the info!

Redtbird

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Turn up your dash light. That's why movie theaters have some light in them all the time. Stops the quick pupil change with scene changes. You probably have less vision when looking from a bright environment to a dark one, so driving all the time with interior lights on the save some discomfort when a car passed is probably not wise :twocents:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Legal.

EDIT: I find it difficult to see out of the vehicle with the dome light on, but if it works for then go for it. I've never seen anything in IN law that regulates dome lights in any way.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Too many reflections on the inside of the car glass for me.

How old are you, OP?

One thing I've noticed as I've aged is that oncoming car headlight lights cause me much more discomfort now than they ever have.

-J-

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Amber colored glasses also help cut the glare and relieve eye strain. Not supporting the cheesy commercials that occasionally pop up on TV saying they have the ultimate and only solution for eye problems--pretty much any amber sunglasses will help. And you won't destroy your ability to clearly see details that might make the difference between having a wreck and a safe drive.
    :twocents:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I'm usually too busy texting or facebooking to even notice oncoming headlights.

Purple where you see fit

Having passengers is helpful in this regard. Usually they yell so loudly and lunge for the steering wheel that it's the perfect early warning system.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Limo tint on the windshield and maybe if needed on all side windows also. Dont forget to pimp some rims and you GOTTA have some big thumpin subs that wake people up blocks away at 1:30a.m. ! :rockwoot:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I just use the "watch the right lane line/edge of the road immediately in front of your car until the car with bright lights is behind you" trick. Your peripheral vision still picks up stuff in your lane and your night vision isnt impacted too much. I may also hold up my hand at the same time to shield me if they are a moron runnign with his brights on.

I too cant see much outside due to glare if an inside light is on.

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    Quite often I raise my left hand to cover the oncoming vehicles headlights while watching the right side edge of the road, probably not the safest thing but some cars and especially trucks have really bright lights.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    BMW has red lights in the ceiling and doors and other areas that light up when the park/head lights are turned on. Helps for night time driving.

I wish school buses had such features or just a little lamp somewhere down low so I can read my route sheets without having to turn on one or multiple dome lights.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I just use the "watch the right lane line/edge of the road immediately in front of your car until the car with bright lights is behind you" trick. Your peripheral vision still picks up stuff in your lane and your night vision isnt impacted too much. I may also hold up my hand at the same time to shield me if they are a moron runnign with his brights on.

I too cant see much outside due to glare if an inside light is on.

this is what I do.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I used to yell at the kids for using flash cameras on the bus. You get spots. Sometimes one would want the dome light on, to find something or whatnot, but I'd turn it off as soon as possible. The less light from inside, the better.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Having passengers is helpful in this regard. Usually they yell so loudly and lunge for the steering wheel that it's the perfect early warning system.

What if your passengers are more intoxicated than you? That makes the early warning system no bueno.

Top Bottom