• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    At a recent gun-show I bought a blister-pack of two "GMFG"-produced replacement base-plates for my G30. These replace the stock base-plate, and while adding no additional rounds, the magazine can now be carried attached to the accessory-rail, in the form of a "forward assist." A simple squeeze, tug, and swap, and the magazine is in the firing position. QUESTION: does this make my li'l G30 an AOW ?? And if so, how do I get this to be legal ?? PatMcG.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    QUESTION: does this make my li'l G30 an AOW ?? And if so, how do I get this to be legal ??

This attachment?
    glock03.jpg

Yep, your Glock with the magazine attached in the depicted manner would be considered an AOW.

You can either pay the $200 making tax and register your G30 as an AOW prior to attaching a spare mag in that manner, or you can toss the baseplates in the trash, reinstall the stock parts and chalk the whole thing up as a learning experience.

BTW, "GMFG" is a part number, not a manufacturer; it stands for "Glock Magazine ForeGrip". The baseplates are made in Israel and are marketed under the FAB Defense brand.

HTH!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    really i didnt no that???? Why would it be AOW????

Because BATF considers a pistol having more than one grip to be an AOW, and the second magazine attached to the gun functions as a secondary grip. Installing a vertical foregrip on an AR pistol or Kel-Tec PLR-16 is a no-no for the same reason.

From the NFA Handbook:
    The “any other weapon” definition excludes weapons designed to be fired from the shoulder that are not capable of firing fixed ammunition or a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore. However, certain alterations to a pistol or revolver, such as the addition of a second vertical handgrip, create a weapon that no longer meets the definition of pistol or revolver. A pistol or revolver modified as described is an “any other weapon” subject to the NFA because the weapon is not designed to be fired when held in one hand.

The illustration provided with this paragraph shows a Glock equipped with a rail-mounted folding vertical grip, which ironically is manufactured by the same company that makes the GMFG baseplates.
    glock02.jpg

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    To transfer a pre-made AOW like a Serbu is $5.00. To make an AOW is $200.00.

This is a common point of confusion and should probably be added to the NFA Myths and/or NFA FAQ thread.

So, if someone made an AOW they would have to pay $200. If you were to buy it, would you have to $5 or $200? I'm assuming this only applies to AOW, not SBR - right?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So, if someone made an AOW they would have to pay $200. If you were to buy it, would you have to $5 or $200?

The $5.00 tax is for a transfer; that is, you are buying an AOW that has already been made and registered. Like bigcraig did when he got his Serbu from Acme Firearms.

I'm assuming this only applies to AOW, not SBR - right?

Correct. For SBR, SBS, machine guns and silencers, the transfer tax and the making tax are the same amount, $200.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Form4 has a check box for $5 or $200 transfer tax or exempt transfer.

Form1 is for manufacturing and only has check boxes for $200 or tax exempt reasons.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    I DIDN'T BUY THE REALLY NEATO-LOOKING ADJUSTABLE STOCK, BUT WONDER: if I had bought it, could I add it to the pistol on the same $200 tax-stamp?? Or does each require its own permit?? Thanks. Pat.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I DIDN'T BUY THE REALLY NEATO-LOOKING ADJUSTABLE STOCK, BUT WONDER: if I had bought it, could I add it to the pistol on the same $200 tax-stamp??

You would pay $200 for your tax stamp, and register the Glock as an SBR (short-barreled rifle). That would cover the stock, then you could add the vertical grip to it as well. An AOW cannot have a buttstock, period.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Because BATF considers a pistol having more than one grip to be an AOW, and the second magazine attached to the gun functions as a secondary grip. Installing a vertical foregrip on an AR pistol or Kel-Tec PLR-16 is a no-no for the same reason.

From the NFA Handbook:
    The “any other weapon” definition excludes weapons designed to be fired from the shoulder that are not capable of firing fixed ammunition or a pistol or revolver having a rifled bore. However, certain alterations to a pistol or revolver, such as the addition of a second vertical handgrip, create a weapon that no longer meets the definition of pistol or revolver. A pistol or revolver modified as described is an “any other weapon” subject to the NFA because the weapon is not designed to be fired when held in one hand.

But this is a pistol by aft rule, but not a AOW and it has two grips.
    img_PA_ta5.jpg

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Some NFA help, please.

I've come upon a neat little Harrington & Richardson single-shot "Topper Mod 88" in 20 ga. The wood is perfect. The action is case-hardened and very attractive, and it has a gold trigger and bead-sight. But the 26-inch blued barrel has seen much better days. I would like to have my gun-smith re-blue it and shorten the barrel, for use as a "beside-the-front-door" gun. Just how short can the breech-face-to-muzzle length be, legally? Or is this little piece worth too much to butcher? Thanks. Pat (I've been off a few days for a pace-maker implant. I missed you guys.)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Just how short can the breech-face-to-muzzle length be, legally?

By law, 18". Most folks go 18.5" just to err on the side of caution. Be sure you measure by closing the action, dropping a dowel down the bore and marking it where it comes out the muzzle, then measure back to 18.5" from there.

Or is this little piece worth too much to butcher?

Not at all; the book value on those is generally under $100.

Top Bottom