• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    After reading the "Buying a gun" thread, I was reminded that everytime I buy a handgun or a long gun, I get "escalated." What I'm talking about, as explained by 3 different shops, is that the person who initially answers the call kicks it up to their supervisior. None of the stores could tell me why, one speculated that it might be tied to prior military service.It's never caused more than a minute or two delay, I'm sure I'm a proper person... unless the NICS has been talking to my wife! ;)

Does this happen to anyone else, and does anyone know the reasons why this might happen? I've googled it with no joy.

smokenfire10

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Muncie
    There are several possible reasons for the short delay, but they don't have to be negative. I would say your military background may be the culprtit. The ffl holder is not given the information for the short delay so they couldn't share that info with you. Good luck.

Alan

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    My name's not uncommon, but it's not John Smith either. :) No "bin," "al," or "sheeba" in my name. Just checked the FBI 10 most wanted, and I'm clear there too.

Like I said, it's never caused aproblem, I'm just curious.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I get it everytime

I get sent to the second examiner with every purchase. All I have is tickets. They won't tell me but I am guessing it is my job. No big deal though it happens to a lot of people

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    just be thankful it does not get "delayed" for 3 days every time.... when i worked at pops there the head of the fbi indianapolis division got delayed for 3 days.... and he was a top ranking fbi agent, so NICS is not discriminatory at all.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    If they were getting info from wives, I am certain my comments on the horse's arse in chief would have already triggered a Ruby Ridge incident.:D
    You don't have subversive bumper stickers like Support the Troops or America, Love it or Leave it?

Rshelbu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I had it happen twice , it added another 5 mins to the whole ordeal .

Before I applied for and received my LTCH, I had never been denied or delayed. Since then it has happened 2 out of 4 times I have purchased a gun. I just picked a gun up today (Tuesday), that I tried to bring home Sunday, but was delayed by the NICS system. After I told the shop owner of my problems he gave me a package to fill out and send in to the FBI that creates a Voluntary Appeal File (VAF). This process permits applicants to request that the NICS maintain information about them in the VAF, a seperate file to be checked by NICS, to prevent erroroneous denials and extended delays in the future. ......R

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    do you put your social down? if not that might be part of the problem... adding your social really really does help... sometimes a dealer will let you write it on a seperate piece of paper and throw it away after the check has been called in.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    When was the earliest any one of you have seen this happening? By that I mean the year. I'm curious if this is a pre- or post-9/11 occurrence...

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    Indiana needs a skip the call law like Arizona has. In Arizona if you have a ccw permit they dont call they just write your permit number on the form. Everyone is happy they dont have to call and i dont have to wait a real win win.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm delayed for an hour to a day or so every time I buy a firearm. I attribute it to my military/combat veteran background, but I'm really not sure if that's the case.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Who the hell would put their SSN on a 4473?

For what reason?

Are we not already deep enough in the gaze of the beast that we must bare our throats to its sharp teeth as well?

To speed up the process and prevent misidentification. Do you really think the Federal government can't get your SSN based upon your name, address and dob, if they want it?

Top Bottom