• NICS Delay Caused by:

• Total voters

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Hello, I am posting this because I am curious to see if other people have experienced NICS delays. I purchased a couple of new firearms about 8 or so years ago and I didn't have a problem. However, the past few (since 2008) have been delayed by NICS. Now, it might be that I am a right-wing nut job and see a connection between the Obama Justice Department, IRS scandals, and me (and others I know) being delayed when buying a new firearm. Or, it's just a coincidence...
    Obviously someone with a checkered past could be delayed. Has anybody else been delayed for seemingly no reason?

Last edited:

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Also, continuing my rant...
    My latest purchase took forever for the dopes on the other end of the phone to get the info from my FFL. When they repeated information back, they kept messing up. Maybe a bad phone connection or something, but I was seriously thinking. "Why on earth would a criminal or bad person waste their time with this crap!" Well, they wouldn't...

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Coincidence, as it seems to be the most common reason. A similar name, clerical errors,etc.
    I don't see how political orientation plays a part of it, or could once thinking of the 4473. Or the 3 main databases NICS uses, criminal record history etc.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Really!
    Well that sucks. Normally I watch it on Tuesday nights. I hope it's just delayed a day or two, I'd hate to have to wait till the next week to see it.
    I wish Ziva would come back.
    How could Gibbs let this happen...:xmad:

BTW - Why is this in the firearms section? :dunno:

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    My longest was 37 minutes. Today was the best was no longer than 3 minutes. I didn't even have a chance to look in the case to see if I wanted a second gun. I also have the PIN or unique number whatever its called) There's someone else with my name in Florida who is not a "Proper Person."

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    I've only been delayed once and that's when I was on a Social Security kick and didn't put it on there. Then it was for a couple hours but it was on a Saturday and late when they called back so I waited until Monday to pick it up. Since then I always put the silly thing {SSN} on there and I've never been delayed. The gun shop where I buy 95% of my firearms tells me that I always go to the second stage and I'm never approved at the first stage or second tier or whatever you call it and whatever that means. I have a fairly common name if that has anything to do with it?? Maybe someone here might know?

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    my longest was an hour and a half for an ar lower...:dunno: Seller said it was because it was on a friday about 5:00 pm which is the worst time to buy a firearm, people get paid and gunshows around the country.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I'm pretty sure .gov is not singling out gun buyers for nics delays based on their political profiles.

I am basing this solely on how hurt my feelings would be if it turned out that I wasn't "right wing" enough to trigger the discrimination algorithm.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I get delayed quite often, but I think it's because of my first name. My first name is J. Just the letter. Every gun store employee says to me, " Sir, we need your full name not an initial." Which is understandable. I explain to them that this is my full name and show them my ID. But, I would imagine I get delayed because the NICS person is checking to make sure that this is in fact my legal first name.

Dino81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Hobart
    I seem to get delayed 50/50. It's annoying to say the least. I don't have a common name, and I always put my social. Kicker is I just had a tax stamp approved on the 18th, and try to buy a gun two weeks later, and they delayed me. Sometimes I think it's the moron at the LGS phoning it in. It always goes to "further review", then it's alwyas instantly approved...but that's when it's called in in front of me. I get a straight up "3 day delay" if they do it in the back. I'm gonna start requesting they do it in front of me so I can make sure they go to the further review. Makes me wonder if in the back, they don't even try the "further review" and just say, oops delayed. Either way, I feel your pain.

mbafta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Warrick Co.
    I seem to get delayed about 20% of the time. I do have a common name and I do put my social on the form every time.

I once was delayed....stopped at another LGS on the way home, purchased another gun and was approved in 5 min and then went back 3 days later to pick up the first firearm....so who knows.

rxer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Crown Point
    There seems to be someone from Pennsylvania that did something bad with "similar" info to mine as everytime it goes to further review after I found out about this individual. From what I've read, the person they talk to when calling is just a data entry person. If the 3 databases don't get a hit on your info, it goes to proceed, but if anything is similar, it goes to further review which they have to transfer them to an actual FBI agent. They then look at the info and make a decision. For me it is always a proceed after talking to them. I've been delayed twice, both times were with the electronic check, which I think if there's too many in the queue, it just kicks back delay.

Top Bottom