• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VaqueroEM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    South side of Indy
    Every time I buy a gun they get a further review on the NICS check. Most of the time it just adds 3 - 5 minutes onto the check and thats it. I did get delayed once. I have no criminal histroy at all... other than some speeding tickets a few years ago. Someone told me if I get a UPIN from the FBI or ATF that would stop this annoying wait.

My question is what is a UPIN and how do you get one? Does anyone else have one? Anyone get a further review when they buy?

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    My question is what is a UPIN and how do you get one? Does anyone else have one? Anyone get a further review when they buy?

Do you have a very common name? That could contribute to the further review, even if you put your SS# on there...
    Anyhow, contact your local field office there in Indy by calling (317) 287-3500 and asking for the agent in charge. They'll give you the info you need and tell you about how much it cost. I don't recall exactly, but it seems like the last person I asked, it was a couple hundred bucks and a few months of waiting.
    YMMV

VaqueroEM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    South side of Indy
    Do you have a very common name? That could contribute to the further review, even if you put your SS# on there...
    Anyhow, contact your local field office there in Indy by calling (317) 287-3500 and asking for the agent in charge. They'll give you the info you need and tell you about how much it cost. I don't recall exactly, but it seems like the last person I asked, it was a couple hundred bucks and a few months of waiting.
    YMMV

My name is a common name. I had a security clearance at one time. Someone told me both of those things can cause this.

I just looked at the FBI site and it doesn't look like it costs anything other than what the police charge to do the finger printing. Ill call tomorrow and see what I need to do.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI

VaqueroEM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    South side of Indy
    I just printed the forms and filled them out. I will get finger printed this week and FedEx the forms to them and update this thread with the time frame if anyone is interested in it.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    i have been having the further review deal as well ..
    the last 3 purchases went further review, then DELAY!, & in 3 days the ffl calls me to come pick up my guns.
    its a gigantic pain in the ass .....
    i have yet to get a pin number ... but am seriously considering if im delayed again

VaqueroEM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    South side of Indy
    i have been having the further review deal as well ..
    the last 3 purchases went further review, then DELAY!, & in 3 days the ffl calls me to come pick up my guns.
    its a gigantic pain in the ass .....
    i have yet to get a pin number ... but am seriously considering if im delayed again

I was only delayed once, but it is a pain in the ass. I have the forms printed and will go get finger printed on Friday. Ill FedEx the forms to them so they get them next Tuesday... then let the countdown begin.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I was only delayed once, but it is a pain in the ass. I have the forms printed and will go get finger printed on Friday. Ill FedEx the forms to them so they get them next Tuesday... then let the countdown begin.

It's my understanding that the VAF/UPIN process is for those who are always delayed but then always approved (or no-called), or who have been denied in error and successfully appealed it, and wish to avoid further instances of erroneous delays/denials. That is to say, you can just get assigned a UPIN because you are sent for further review (then approved), or because you are delayed once in awhile and you find it an inconvenience.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    We just received a letter from the FBI talking about homeland security crap and to watch for tangos as the anniversary of 911 approaches. Got 3 delays in the last 2 days for guys I have sold many guns to with no problem before. Also have had a ton of delays for people I don't know. Sounds like the FBI is delaying a ton of people to check up on them better or something stupid...just fyi

VaqueroEM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    South side of Indy
    We just received a letter from the FBI talking about homeland security crap and to watch for tangos as the anniversary of 911 approaches. Got 3 delays in the last 2 days for guys I have sold many guns to with no problem before. Also have had a ton of delays for people I don't know. Sounds like the FBI is delaying a ton of people to check up on them better or something stupid...just fyi

That makes me feel better! Everytime I hear further review, it is always quick... maybe 5 minutes. But I feel like I have crosshairs on me!!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I have, and use, a UPIN, because some scumbag, lowlife lazy ass thief decided to steal, among other things, my ID. So after being delayed on a gun purchase I applied for, and got, a UPIN, Oh yes, also because from now on I'm an alias to this thief!!!!

Top Bottom