• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I got a carry 1911 that I am thinking of having hard chromed but after seeing the nickeled Standard I like the Nickel a lot. Gun is carried a lot and shot some. What would you do?

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    Hard chrome…. And why I say that is nickel is beautiful but prone to damage. Hard chrome is a hard coating. I know some gentlemen who will hard chrome stainless guns…. A super tough finish!!
    I had to do some Googling about the two finishes and their differences. My conclusion is the same as @Noble Sniper. I learned something today.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I got a carry 1911 that I am thinking of having hard chromed but after seeing the nickeled Standard I like the Nickel a lot. Gun is carried a lot and shot some. What would you do?
    I Vote Hard Chrome for Looks, Wear & Durability. PD had our new issued Sig P220's Hard Chromed (Kiesler's) 30 years ago and they wore like Iron. The Only Caveat is that the Vendor needs to be Experienced in the entire process. I had my personal P226 done at the same time and I've never regretted it.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have sent many a gun down to have hard chromed to a place in Florida. It's been years ago and not sure if Checkmate is still in operation?

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I would go the route of hard chrome for all the above mentioned reasons. I had a Colt Series 70 Government once in factory polished nickel and the finish began to discolor in places into a green color from exposure to oil. The gun also developed black pits and flaking for basically no reason while cared for with hoppe's silicon cloths, clp, and a bore stores pouch for storage in a safe with a Goldenrod.

so yeah....I don't care much for nickel and would get Hard Chrome. If you want it shiny like nickel you can always have the refinisher polish it all bright after chroming. But it's even more $$$$.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    What does something like this run nowadays?

3sqksah.jpg

Honestly the guy I would recommend died, and that seems to be the theme with Hard Chrome. Alchemy used to offer it as a service, but now that Cabot owns them I do not believe they do that kind of work anymore.

Top Bottom