• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gibson90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Thanks for the play by play. I sent mine in on 1/21/13. Realistically not looking to get the stamp until early July..... At best.

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    Looking at going the NFA Trust route. I little more expensive up front, but saves all the red tape b.s. in the end. Plus no fingerprints and cleo sign off. looking at a suppressor and sbr to get things rolling. Think suppressed 9mm sbr. If the bank account can support it. Go big or go home.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Ok, I am NOT into class III, YET.....

Since this has been posted, has ANYTHING changed ?????

I am wanting to get a suppressor, so need any updates, or changes.....

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Ok, I am NOT into class III, YET.....

Since this has been posted, has ANYTHING changed ?????

I am wanting to get a suppressor, so need any updates, or changes.....

Not really, the process is effectively the same if you are going to be buying a manufactured suppressor on a Form 4. There was briefly the option to electronically file the Form 4s if you had a Trust, which resulted in much faster transfer times, but the efile system collapsed under it's own weight as it was poorly designed and the ATF still hasn't reactivated the ability to file a Form 4 (you can do a Form 1 if you are building your own SBR or suppressor, and soon SBS).

Probably the biggest change to the NFA scene since 2009 was that a lot of people have moved to using a Trust for their transfers, rather than doing it as an individual. Even with paper filing, it (for now) lets you avoid having to deal with the local law enforcement sign off and fingerprinting. It also, as I mentioned, lets you do efile for a Form 1. Plus, it makes inheritance and allowing access to family members easier (as long as they are members of the trust). So, the numbers of transfers to trusts has risen dramatically in the last couple of years.

Angry Pirate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Great thread! Thought about getting a suppressor last year but changed my mind. Considering building an SBR now and this thread makes things more clear! What's the wait time like now? Whne I was checking on a supperssor they were saying 6 months.

vincess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2017
    Indy
    "There is no such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid person"...my dad circa 1979ish...that being said sorry if I've missed this question. If I decide to purchase a SBR for example (which I've been wanting to do for a long time), do I have to go thru this process for each rifle or suppressor I buy? Thanks and great review!

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    "There is no such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid person"...my dad circa 1979ish...that being said sorry if I've missed this question. If I decide to purchase a SBR for example (which I've been wanting to do for a long time), do I have to go thru this process for each rifle or suppressor I buy? Thanks and great review!

Yes. Each item purchased will require the application process for the stamp every single time.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Noob question here.

I just eFiled a Form 1 to create an SBR using a trust. I submitted the Responsible Person Questionnaire (5320.23), photo and a copy of the trust paperwork electronically. Everything went through and I got my confirmation email with cover letter and submitted copy of the Form 1. I know I have to mail in the cover letter and 2 fingerprint cards to the ATF, and a copy of the completed Form 1 to the CLEO (in this case, I used Indiana State Police).

Do I also need to mail a hard copy of the RPQ, completed Form 1, photo and copy of the trust when I send in fingerprint cards? Or is that all taken care of via eFile?

Does ISP need a copy of the RPQ, or just the completed Form 1?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    So just to be clear, I only need to mail the cover letter and two fingerprint cards to the ATF, and the CLEO copy of the completed Form 1 to ISP, correct?

Top Bottom