• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    OK, guys (and gals). The stated primary goal of the NFA Day outing was to educate and inform people about owning and shooting NFA weapons. Did we succeed? I think it's pretty obvious that everyone had a good time, but what did you actually learn about the legal or technical aspects of NFA stuff that you didn't know before?

I'll start. I learned that MACs aren't as hard to suppress as everyone says. Shooting my M-11/9 with bigcraig's Trident attached was an "ear opening" experience, and moved a 9mm can several notches up on my list of things to buy. It's now ranking above a .223 can, and maybe even above the Bushmaster ACR (especially if that slips later than Q1 2009 or comes in higher than the projected $1400 MSRP).

A note - I'm interested in serious responses here, as a means of gauging the success of the NFA Day effort. We all know that Watermelons tend to evaporate in the presence of Serbus, and that "shooting stuff is fun" - let's not clutter this thread up by re-stating the obvious, shall we? ;)

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I did learn a lot of things about suppressors. Which honestly is what I was most interested in. .223 suppressor is far less interesting to me. that .22 can for my savage is really high on the list. and a 9mm can for the P30 stands a good chance of being purchased over the next few years as well.

I also learned that a Serbu, while insanely fun, isn't as practical as I thought it would be for anti-carjacking. One shot without muffs would likely equal perminant hearing damage.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I wish I would have been able to make it. I would have liked to see how different suppressors worked and/or didn't work. I am wanting to build an SBR, but not sure if I want to build a .223 or a 9mm. This would also determine which suppressor I would buy. A 9mm suppressor could possibly also run double duty on my G19.

Any replies in this thread would be helpful. :)

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I learned a few things.

1. That I prefer an Aimpoint over a EOTech

2. That my SBR build will be a AR in 9mm with a 7.5" barrel and will plan for a can for it in the future.

3. That after my SBR build I need to work a hellva lot of overtime to afford the M11 that I want.... I blame Shooter521 for this, and my wife has a few choice words for him also:lmfao:

I am sure there is more but these are the main things I walked away with.

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    Thanks Mark, and Nick and Craig. I learned a lot too. I am in process of my form 1 to build an SBR in 9mm. With a can in it's future also. Wow, I learned what I like and it's all of them!!! I went with the intent to learn about NFA items and learn I did.. thanks guys,,,,, jack

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I learned that a MAC is much more fun that I originally thought. That could cause serious dammage to the wallet... I also learned that NFAD is a very infectious disease, and that I am a carrier, and now all you participants need treatment.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I learned that a MAC is much more fun that I originally thought. That could cause serious dammage to the wallet... I also learned that NFAD is a very infectious disease, and that I am a carrier, and now all you participants need treatment.

Treatment consists of multiple Form 1's

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Ri22o, It seems to me like all of your questions have been answered several times over by the 3 guys who know the most of this stuff on the board. You are either going to listen to their advice or not. You could have seen all of this for yourself at NFA day but unfortunately you dropped the ball. You should have hitched a ride.

I wish I would have been able to make it. I would have liked to see how different suppressors worked and/or didn't work. I am wanting to build an SBR, but not sure if I want to build a .223 or a 9mm. This would also determine which suppressor I would buy. A 9mm suppressor could possibly also run double duty on my G19.

Any replies in this thread would be helpful. :)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    • The only sound a suppressed G17 makes is the sound of the slide cycling back.
    • 147gr. 9mm is subsonic, and therefore very quiet. 115gr. is not, so you still get the "crack" sound.
    • Getting backsprayed in the face is OK.
    • Contrary to my previous belief, suppressors can actually make the gun MORE accurate.
    • A welding mit is a good thing to have in your "classIII" range bag.
    • bigcraig is not as big and scary as his avatar makes him out to be. :):
    • Fenway is "cute", according to my wife. :):
    I'm happy to report, that due to everything learned on NFA Day, lovemywoods and I have come to an agreement. I will be paying for the tax stamp, and lovemywoods is paying for a can for his M4! Thanks Nick!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I learned:

1. I like 9mm over .223 in SBR mostly due to noise (even suppressed).
    2. I learned suppressors smell bad (acrid). I had not expected this.
    3. I learned that the AK in 5.54x39 handles very, very differently than in 7.62x39.
    4. I learned that NFA weapons might also need to be called "hot enough to grill on it" or "gets caked in the action" or some such. Seriously, the suppressors were bending the light around them.
    5. I learned that I need to buy a handful of mag loaders.
    6. I learned that if I had a serbu built, I would need to have ghost rings installed and that slugs are what they eat best.
    7. I learned that 7.5" and 9mm are the details going on my Form 1.
    8. I learned that NFA nuts actually like to see their guns shot, and not just as glorified safe queens.
    9. I learned that the Mac puts a machine gun within the range of any shooter who can save up over a few years for it.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Ri22o, It seems to me like all of your questions have been answered several times over by the 3 guys who know the most of this stuff on the board. You are either going to listen to their advice or not. You could have seen all of this for yourself at NFA day but unfortunately you dropped the ball. You should have hitched a ride.
    I know, that was more of an observation/rhetorical statement than a question. I was just stating my thoughts, and hoping that I would be able to find the answers to make my decision in this thread. :thumbsup:

I was trying my damnedest to make it down, but it's a long story. Let's just say that who would have thought that the ground for the fuel pump would be located in the last place you would think to look?

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I know, that was more of an observation/rhetorical statement than a question. I was just stating my thoughts, and hoping that I would be able to find the answers to make my decision in this thread. :thumbsup:

I was trying my damnedest to make it down, but it's a long story. Let's just say that who would have thought that the ground for the fuel pump would be located in the last place you would think to look?

it is always in the last place you look :):

Top Bottom