• ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    My understanding was that nothing is required, however, you can send a letter to let them known. Note the 5320.20 Form is for interstate transfer. BATFE NFA Handbook: ATF Online - Publications - Firearms - National Firearms Act Handbook However, it appears that this maybe incorrect and you have to notify the BATFE of an in state move (see later posting in this thread).

Following is an old (2006) secondary (i.e. not on current BATFE site) on line "reference":
    http://www.orl-llc.com/Files/ATF%20Online%20-%20National%20Firearms%20Act%20Branch.htm

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Moving Registered NFA Firearms Intrastate [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Registrants are not required to obtain permission from ATF to move NFA firearms within their State of residence. However, if a registrant’s address changes after the NFA firearms are registered with ATF, please notify the NFA Branch in writing of the change so the NFRTR can reflect the registrant’s correct address.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

Last edited:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Thanks J.T. I was going to call my examiner to verify. Do you know if Dawn is still working there?

While calling your examiner is always an option, anyone at the main office should be able to help. However, a phone call tends to get "interesting and varied" results, remember the one time years ago (going on thirty years) that was trying to give a firearm to my out of state brother and got five different and all incorrect answers from the first five calls.

Probably best to not start writing letters for clarification, as in the past this has tended to work in the long run against the gun owners, so the story goes.

----------------

One the guys (link to Subguns.com Thread) said to look at the back of the Form1 or Form4 where is states:

"CHANGE OF ADDRESS: Unless currently licensed under the GCA, the registrant SHALL NOTIFY the NFA Branch, BATFE in writing of any changes to the address in Item 2a"

Item 2a on the Form1/4 is TRANSFEREE's NAME AND ADDRESS.

Definition of SHALL according to Merriam Webster.....
    "a—used to express a command or exhortation b —used in laws, regulations, or directives to express what is mandatory "

"Thus if your address on 2A changes then you are required to notify the BATFE NFA Branch. " was his call.

Last edited:

madeuce50

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Lafayette,In.
    Thanks again and I am sorry if I created a ruckus over on the other board. About every time I see someone post a question on that other board they get chastised or get stupid answers. Thankfully we have INGO and guys like you that can get answers to hard,honest,and well meaning questions. Thanks Again!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Nothing required for an in-state move. You can write them a letter informing them of who you are, what NFA firearm(s) you are moving and your new address.

Out-of-state moves require an approved 5320.20 before you move them. (This only applies to MG's, SBR(S)'s and DD's. AOW's and suppressors don't require prior approval)

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Thanks again and I am sorry if I created a ruckus over on the other board. About every time I see someone post a question on that other board they get chastised or get stupid answers. Thankfully we have INGO and guys like you that can get answers to hard,honest,and well meaning questions. Thanks Again!

A good ruckus is always interesting.

Nothing required for an in-state move. You can write them a letter informing them of who you are, what NFA firearm(s) you are moving and your new address.

That is what I always was told also, however, if you look at the back if the form 1 or form 4 almost looks like the BATFE wishes an update. Then again the ruckus being described was if there is no fine, jail time or charges, do you have to do the update.

Top Bottom